none
Windows 10 Blue Screen "Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap" RRS feed

• Question

• I recently updated a Windows 7 PC to Windows 10; Dell Inspiron 5521. After the update I am experiencing a blue screen error each time I connect a USB device to one of the USB ports. This is occurring with multiple devices, e.g. thumb drive, e-reader, etc., but not with each and every such device. The same USB devices which are now causing the blue screen worked without error prior to the update and continue to work without issue on other Window 7 machines.

To date, I have uninstalled and reinstalled each of the USB drivers. I also re-flashed the system BIOS with the most current version. All other system drivers are up-to-date. Unfortunately, there has been no change in the blue screen error. I continue to receive the following error: "Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap."

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this?

• Edited by Enxss Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:11 AM Typo
    Sunday, December 15, 2019 5:49 PM

Answers

• Please perform the following steps:

1) Uninstall and reinstall Acronis software

2) Uninstall and reinstall Symantec software

tdrpman.sys  Thu Mar 14 06:42:32 2013 (5141D3C8) 

PGPfsfd.sys  Thu Dec  6 14:43:04 2012 (50C11F78) 

fltsrv.sys   Fri Mar  1 05:53:39 2013 (5130B2E3) 

snapman.sys  Wed Jan 16 05:44:06 2013 (50F6AEA6)

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

On the bottom of each post there is: 

Propose as answer = answered the question

On the left side of each post:  Vote = a helpful post

• Marked as answer by Enxss Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:39 AM
    Thursday, January 16, 2020 3:44 AM

All replies

• Bugcheck 7F is UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of the things that this can be seen with is malfunctioning RAM, mismatched RAM or RAM not on the QVL.

To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

Choose the applicable link for the operating system:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html
    https://www.eightforums.com/threads/language-add-or-remove-in-windows-8.5849/
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/87317-display-language-change.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive, drop box, or google drive to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There are two files for you to find manually:

a) C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter the above to find results.

b) dxdiag:  

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

On the bottom of each post there is: Propose as answer = answered the question

Sunday, December 15, 2019 6:39 PM
  • If you have updated all divers especially USB drivers and chip drivers to the latest build from manufacturer website, you need to contact Dell after sale support for help.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/sg/en/sgdhs1/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-5521/drivers

Disable third-party security software, only use Windows Defender for test.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 16, 2019 1:58 AM
  • As requested, I have up-loaded the log files to a folder on OneDrive. The link is:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtnXFDB3rc4qgg7bkqABLh1uvJtC?e=DAzJXR

All of the log files are contained in a single 7zip file named "Troubleshooting Logs - Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap."

Please let me know if you require any further information.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 10:05 PM
  • Wednesday, January 15, 2020 10:32 PM
  • The link is correct. You may have accessed the folder before the file was fully uploaded. Please try again.
    • Edited by Enxss Wednesday, January 15, 2020 11:58 PM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2020 11:57 PM
  • Please copy and paste the whole administrative command prompt command:

(start with the letter:  c and end with ")

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

Please post a new share link into the newest post.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 12:34 AM
  • I ran the command line a second time as requested and uploaded a second zip file named

02 - Troubleshooting Logs - Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap.

The original zip file has been renamed to

01 - Troubleshooting Logs - Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap.

I included in the second zip file a text file named "Command Line" which contains a copy of the command line used along with the output generated by it so that you can verify that the correct command line was used.

Note that the command line output states the following.

16 file(s) copied.
       The system cannot find the path specified.
            0 file(s) copied.

I believe this was the case in the initial run as well.

Both zip files are in the same OneDrive folder as before, so simply use the link provided previously to access each.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtnXFDB3rc4qgg7bkqABLh1uvJtC?e=DAzJXR

Thursday, January 16, 2020 2:16 AM
  • Please perform the following steps:

1) Uninstall and reinstall Acronis software

2) Uninstall and reinstall Symantec software

tdrpman.sys  Thu Mar 14 06:42:32 2013 (5141D3C8) 

PGPfsfd.sys  Thu Dec  6 14:43:04 2012 (50C11F78) 

fltsrv.sys   Fri Mar  1 05:53:39 2013 (5130B2E3) 

snapman.sys  Wed Jan 16 05:44:06 2013 (50F6AEA6)

On the bottom of each post there is: 

Propose as answer = answered the question

• Marked as answer by Enxss Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:39 AM
    Thursday, January 16, 2020 3:44 AM
  • The issue is now resolved.

I removed each of the programs one at a time in the hopes of identifying if one or the other was causing the Blue Screen error. I decided to remove the Symantec program first. After removing the program and restarting the computer I connected one of the two USB devices that was causing Windows 10 to crash. No such error occurred and the device connected without issue. The same was true when connecting the second USB device.

After removing the Symantec software I then uninstalled and reloaded the Acronis application. Again, both USB devices connected without issue. I have yet to reinstall the Symantec application. I will do so after obtaining the latest version.

As an aside, when I first updated Windows 7 to Windows 10 the computer was loaded with Office 2013. After the upgrade none of the Office applications would load properly. I was instructed by the Microsoft Help Desk to uninstall Office and reinstall it as was instructed with the Symantec and Acronis software. This corrected the issue with Office. I mention this because I would expect such issues with 3rd party software such as Symantec and Acronis but I was surprised that is was an issue with a Microsoft product such as Office.

Thank you for your assistance in resolving this issue. It is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

• Edited by Enxss Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:02 AM
    Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:38 AM
  • That's great news.

Glad to read about the success.

You are very welcome.

Saturday, January 18, 2020 8:05 AM