Windows 10 Visual Studio 2015 taskbar Jump List not filled with recent projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise with update 2 on my Windows 10 Enterprise. I don't see any recent projects in the jump list. I have a same setup but with Visual Studio 2013 and there I see my recent projects. I already tried unpinning and pinning the icon. Other jump list like Word and Excel are working fine.

I also installed Visual Studio 2015 on a Windows Server 2012R2 and there I do get recent projects in the jump lists

Any ideas?

Thursday, April 7, 2016 7:20 AM

Answers

• I have a jump list now but I can reproduce the jump list failing

I have an extension that crashes during VS 2015 startup. After the crash the jump list is gone and there is a jump list with VS startup modes (safemode, debugmode, open activity log location) 

When I turn off and on the button mentioned before and start opening projects I get the jump list with recent projects back. As soon as I try to load the corrupt extension again same behavior.  Recent projects disappear and same mode jump list is back.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Danny,

Since your Visual Studio 2013 and other programs like Word, Excel work fine, your system’s Jump List function should be normal, the problem is related to your Visual Studio 2015.

Therefore, at first, please try to uninstall VS 2013 and VS 2015, restart computer.

Then, type jump in the search box, select the first option, configure “Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar” as “off”. Wait a moment, reconfigure it as “on”.

Next, only installing VS 2015, open your projects by it to see the result.

In addition, also notice the settings in VS 2015, in Options->Environment->General, make sure Recent files has the correct configuration.

Please check this link below for more information, even though it talks about the similar situation in Windows 7, we can also get some prompt.

http://alinconstantin.blogspot.sg/2010/07/windows-7-jump-lists-and-visual-studio.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 8, 2016 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

I installed a new Windows 10 ENT with only Visual Studio 2015 ENT with Update 2. Still the same problem.

Any other ideas?

Friday, April 8, 2016 7:29 AM
  • Hi Danny,

One thing I need to say, we don’t use VS 2015 in daily work, so we can’t test it for you.

Also, I search online and don’t find a similar case like you in Windows 10 system. You could feedback this condition to Microsoft by Feedback app.

Besides, you could ask for help from Visual Studio forum.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 8:42 AM
  • I have a jump list now but I can reproduce the jump list failing

I have an extension that crashes during VS 2015 startup. After the crash the jump list is gone and there is a jump list with VS startup modes (safemode, debugmode, open activity log location) 

When I turn off and on the button mentioned before and start opening projects I get the jump list with recent projects back. As soon as I try to load the corrupt extension again same behavior.  Recent projects disappear and same mode jump list is back.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:02 AM
  • Hi Danny,

I think you have found out the reason for jump list disappear.

Thanks for sharing. We appreciate your time and efforts. Hope this experience will help other community members facing similar problems. Please mark your reply to close this case.

Best regards

Friday, April 15, 2016 7:34 AM
  • The only strange thing is, that in VS2012 & VS2013 the Visual Studio startup mode is always visible in combination with the recent projects. Maybe it is removed in VS2015. Works for now.
    Friday, April 15, 2016 8:51 AM