none
Boot-error when changing harddisk

Question

• I have a problem with booting Windows7 right after I changed disks.

I work with removable harddisks (2 with Windows XP and now 1 with Windows 7 RC1).
    Working with XP is alright.
    Working with Windows 7 is also OK.
    I can startup, shut down as many times as I like.
    BUT,   when I put a drive with XP in and startup it's OK.
    THEN,   put the drive with W-7 in, it won't startup.
    Screen stays black.
    When starting in safe mode, the computer stops with the file "Windows\System32\Drivers\ClassPNP.SYS" and hangs.

Then I start with the repair disk, and that says "Boot sector code for system disk partition is corrupt"
    Then "Boot sector repair" and the drive is OK again.

I myselve think it is because Windows 7 sees a different harddrive in the BIOS.

Any idea what I can do?

Thanks in advance,
    Ruud.
    • Edited by Ruud_Win Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:54 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Ruud_Win,

Based on your description, I noticed that that the issue can occur due to hardware or software conflictions. Let us try the steps below to narrow down the cause of the issue. Please check if we can boot in Win7 normally:

Device Clean Boot
    ==============
    In this situation, your system will only have the basic hardware devices and it should be more stable. If it is inconvenient to unplug the devices, we can disable them in Device Manager. Please refer to the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
    3. Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"
    4. Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK
    5. Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.
    6. Please restart the computer. Can we boot in Win7 properly?

Clean Boot
    ==================
    1. Click the Start Button, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.
    4. Restart the computer and test the result.

Note: Clean Boot is just a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can enable them later on. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

I hope we can fix this issue together as soon as possible. :)

Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:21 AM

All replies

• Ruud_Win, I would like to confirm the following points regarding your issue:

1. If these systems are separate when installing;

2. If they are separate, which Safe Mode did you enter? Is it Safe Mode in Windows XP or Win7?

3. you mentioned “THEN, put the drive with W-7 in, it won't startup”. Did you mean Win7 won’t startup?

I would like to explain that it is normal if Win7 cannot startup. As there are two removable harddisks (which contains two different systems), issue can occur when BIOS scans booting files. So we received a black screen and system couldn’t boot up.

I hope the explain is useful for you. :)

Friday, August 21, 2009 9:15 AM
  • Thank you so much for your answer Candice.

The situation is as follows:

There is only one disk in the computer at any time.
    Windows is installed on all 3 drives (first 3 XP, now 2 XP and one 7).
    So XP drive goes out, and Win7 drive goes in.
    And Win7 won't start after XP was removed.

The safe mode was in Win7

I can't imagine what can be wrong with the boot sector, because Windows XP is normally shut off, then removed and put away for a while. Then the drive with 7 is placed and started up (which was also shut off correctly, and removed before).
    So the BIOS is reading the boot information, which is on the drive itselve.

In XP I never had problems, every one of the 3 drives booted normally.
    Now Win7 comes in, and I have a problem.

I really hope this problem can be solved, otherwise I cannot change over to 7.

Thanks again,
    Ruud_Win.

Friday, August 21, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Hi Ruud_Win,

Based on your description, I noticed that that the issue can occur due to hardware or software conflictions. Let us try the steps below to narrow down the cause of the issue. Please check if we can boot in Win7 normally:

Device Clean Boot
    ==============
    In this situation, your system will only have the basic hardware devices and it should be more stable. If it is inconvenient to unplug the devices, we can disable them in Device Manager. Please refer to the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
    3. Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"
    4. Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK
    5. Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.
    6. Please restart the computer. Can we boot in Win7 properly?

Clean Boot
    ==================
    1. Click the Start Button, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.
    4. Restart the computer and test the result.

Note: Clean Boot is just a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can enable them later on. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

I hope we can fix this issue together as soon as possible. :)

Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:21 AM
  • Hi Candice,

I think I have simple trouble, but may I ask your truthful suggestion. I have diagnosed my issue with my laptop running at Windows 7 64 bit Serv pack 1 that it is sticking up DURING START at a file called CLASSPNP.SYS, can you help me how to revert this file to its original?

What happened is during startup my internal battery shuts down the I mistakenly plugged on immediately within less than 9 seconds, that is the start of the issue.

Hope to hear from your favor.

Ifranz

Hi Candice,

I run SFC/SCANNOW also, and wish to send to you.

• Edited by Ifranz Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:11 AM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:26 AM