none
Lock/Logon Screen Background, For Company Image RRS feed

• Question

• For my current company, I am preparing a machine with Windows 10, so that I can take an image of it and deploy it to others that will be arriving soon.

Most of the machines in this enterprise are Windows 7, so I only have to do this to a small subset of Windows 10 machines.

Something I am trying to do is to remove the rotating lock/logon screen background images, as well as the interactive tooltips and trivia, and to prevent users from changing it back. I want this implemented for all users on each of these machines. In my opinion, these features do not present a professional face to our network resources.

However, I can not get it to reliably work for any users other than the domain admin account I used to implement the settings. Here's the steps I've taken so far:

I did some google research and changed the following local group policy settings:

Local Computer Policy\Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization

I have enabled "Force a specific default lock screen and logon image" and set the file path to a local image. For testing purposes, I have created a .png of a solid green color that I want the lock/logon background image to be. The image is still the random scenic pictures with tooltips.

I have enabled "Prevent changing lock screen and logon image" in that same section as well.

I have deleted the local user files of domain users I am testing, through the feature to do so in Control Panel\System\Advanced System Settings, and tried again with those users.

I went into registry editor. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization, and switched on NoChangingLockScreen and NoLockScreen. That did not test successfully, so I switched them both off and tested that as well, unsuccessfully.

I went back to Local Group Policy: Local Computer Policy\Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon and enabled "Always use custom logon background". No change there, so then I enabled "Always use classic logon", which also didn't change anything.

Any thoughts?

• Edited by josephfmcd Wednesday, November 15, 2017 8:40 PM
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 8:17 PM

Answers

• After working with our escalation contractor for some time, the decision we made was that it is not possible to change the login screen image, as this is not supported on Windows 10 Pro, only on Windows 10 Enterprise.

• Edited by josephfmcd Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by josephfmcd Thursday, May 9, 2019 9:52 PM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I tested to change the lock screen with Group Policy Local Computer Policy\Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization, and enter the picture location. After reboot the policy applied on my test Windows 10 machine.

If you changed many items but without any work, please run command line "gpresult /h C:GP.html" as administrator and check the GP file located in C drive for applied group police items. If you have problem with analyze it, please upload to One Drive and paste the link here.

At last, make sure to reboot your device or run "gpupdate /force" as administrator after every policy executed or registry edited.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:51 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 20, 2017 2:49 AM
  • Hi,

Was the issue resolved?

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply. I've been working with our escalation contractor for the past two weeks to get a Windows 10 image set up. I will attempt this tomorrow morning when I go into the office.
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 12:41 AM
  • Thank you for your feedback. 

Any time is OK as long as it is convenient for you.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 10:51 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Monday, December 4, 2017 1:58 AM
  • Hi, 

I would be very appreciate if you could feedback to us after tested.

Bests,

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 1:34 AM
  • After working with our escalation contractor for some time, the decision we made was that it is not possible to change the login screen image, as this is not supported on Windows 10 Pro, only on Windows 10 Enterprise.

• Edited by josephfmcd Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by josephfmcd Thursday, May 9, 2019 9:52 PM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:54 PM