none
Hyper-V Cannot Uninstall from Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 Enterprise build 10576

Installed Hyper-V, was working fine.   No longer needed it, deleted virtual machines that I created, went to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off > Unchecked  Hyper-V.     Windows did a short uninstall process and then said it needed to reboot.   Rebooted, said it was making updates, rebooted again, continued to make updates and then said, "... it could not complete the changes and was reverting back".   It rebooted again, I logged in, and Hyper-V was still installed.   

Tried stopping the Hyper-V services first, then went back into Windows Features and unchecked Hyper-V.   Windows went through the same process as before, and again told me it was unable to complete the changes.

And as a leftover result, my network card is no longer working.   No IP address, and it shows as disconnected, which it isn't.   
    This is a test PC so I can just wipe and load Win10 Enterprise again, but was hoping there was a way to get Hyper-V uninstalled, which might fix the NIC.

• Edited by rpj75 Sunday, November 1, 2015 2:40 PM
    Sunday, November 1, 2015 2:39 PM

Answers

• And as a leftover result, my network card is no longer working.   No IP address, and it shows as disconnected, which it isn't.   

I imagine that is a sign that the Hyper-V vswitch.sys is not getting uninstalled correctly.  Probably what you would need to do is use the Switch manager to make sure that had happened first, e.g. no reason for Hyper-V to take over the native NIC then and then done the removal.  Another thing that I had to do related to this is use Device Manager with Show Hidden to get rid of stuff even after Hyper-V was supposedly gone.  It was a bit messy but I never had to resort to even a Refresh to try to clean it up.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:37 AM

All replies

• Well believe this uninstall would log into the CBS.log in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS. That can be quite large so it may be worth copying that log and deleting it \ renaming it then trying the uninstall again then having a look in the CBS.log for any clues.
    Sunday, November 1, 2015 3:32 PM
  • Thanks - but I just did a wipe and load.   Looking around for a fix, I saw this was a problem with no resolution for some folks even in Windows 8.x.   Apparently MS has not gotten around to addressing this.   So a warning to anyone who installs Hyper-V - you might not be able to remove it - unless you do a restore or format/re-install.

• Edited by rpj75 Monday, November 2, 2015 12:04 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 12:02 PM
  • And as a leftover result, my network card is no longer working.   No IP address, and it shows as disconnected, which it isn't.   

I imagine that is a sign that the Hyper-V vswitch.sys is not getting uninstalled correctly.  Probably what you would need to do is use the Switch manager to make sure that had happened first, e.g. no reason for Hyper-V to take over the native NIC then and then done the removal.  Another thing that I had to do related to this is use Device Manager with Show Hidden to get rid of stuff even after Hyper-V was supposedly gone.  It was a bit messy but I never had to resort to even a Refresh to try to clean it up.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:37 AM