none
Best Practice guide for adding new Win7 and Win8 PC's to the domain RRS feed

• Question

• We have a small network of around 60 PC's all connected to a Windows 2008R2 domain. Now we are replacing older XP machines with new Windows 7 (and maybe some Windows 8) PC's. Our purchase agent looks for bargains and buys new PC's with at least Windows 7 Professional installed.

Is there a Best Practice guide for adding new PC's to the domain? For example, when you start up the new PC's for the first time, the administrator account is disabled and Windows demands you create a new user name and password. After doing that one can join the domain as usual. So should we first add a new local account for the user who will get the PC and then join the domain? Should we enable the local administrator account in case we have problems and can't connect to the domain?

Previously I would just create the initial account using the intended user's login name, then join the domain. The reason I'm asking about best practice is another admin setup at least one new PC. That PC lost it's connection to the domain (events 5722 and 27, netlogon). So the admin disjoined/rejoin the domain to fix problem. But after disjoining the domain no local user/password would logon to the local machine domain. We are locked totally out of that PC. The admin can't recall how he set it up initially.  I am thinking if we develop a practice and follow it this won't happen again, such as enable administrator and set its password, or create another local "admin" user and password as a way to get into PC's in an emergency.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would advice that you create a User called IT-Support with a fixed password, as the local admin account on all the Computers.

And keep the Local Administrator account hidden. Then join the domain and add the Domain Account Users after.

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul

• Proposed as answer by tracycaiModerator Monday, April 1, 2013 1:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Oregonbob Monday, April 1, 2013 1:37 AM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:59 AM