none
Restrict External Access on Teams - Do meetings still work? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am going to be restricting my organisations Teams External Access domains to a list of Allowed Domains that we approve.

As this will effectively disable Open Federation can anyone advise if meetings with 3rd parties who are not in this list will still work?

So for example, I add 5 domains into the Allow List; domain1.com, domain2.com, domain3.com, domain4.com & domain5.com, so this stops my Open Federation, and my users can only communicate with the above 5 domains.

If a user receives a Meeting Invite from a different organisation (domain99.com), can they still join this meeting with their Teams client?

And likewise, if they sent a Meeting Invite to domain99.com, will they be able to join the meeting?

To confirm, I am not looking at a full teams collaboration with this external domain, just purely wanting to make sure my users can still join and send meetings to all organisations in this scenario.

Thanks

Mick

Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mick_J,

If you set allow specific domains, you limit external access to only the allowed domains. Once you set up a list of allowed domains, all other domains will be blocked.

I’m sure that it doesn’t support the meeting with other external organizations in Teams client.

However, user can join the Teams meeting as an anonymous user by click the link in the meeting invitation. It doesn’t need a Teams account. You can refer to this link: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/join-a-meeting-without-a-teams-account-c6efc38f-4e03-4e79-b28f-e65a4c039508?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

Before joining the meeting, administrator should turn on “Anonymous users can join a meeting” in Microsoft Teams admin center. Follow the steps: Microsoft Teams admin center > Meetings > Meeting settings > Participants > turn on “Anonymous users can join a meeting”. You can read this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/meeting-settings-in-teams.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 7:35 AM
  • Hi Sharon,

Apologies for the delay in my reply. I will maybe see if I can do some testing on this late one evening.

I did read about joining as anonymous, does that mean the Teams full client will still work and they can join as anonymous? Or would it mean they would need to join via the Web browser?

The last UC product I supported was Lync Server 2013 on prem, I am sure we had restricted external domains to an approved list and this didnt impact users joining other 3rd party meetings, but it was so long ago I cant 100%remember.

Thanks for your help.

Mick

Monday, January 27, 2020 9:55 AM
  • Hi Mick,

When you join a Teams meeting as anonymous, it uses web browser.

Teams fully supports the following Internet browsers, with noted exceptions for calling and meetings:

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 6:03 AM
  • I’m glad that my reply is helpful.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post. This will make answer searching in the forum easier.

<Request/Expectation>:

User add 5 domains into the Allow list. If a user receives a Meeting Invite from a different organization, can they still join this meeting with their Teams client?

And likewise, if they sent a Meeting Invite to the different organization, will they be able to join the meeting?

<Suggestions>:

If you set allow specific domains, you limit external access to only the allowed domains. Once you set up a list of allowed domains, all other domains will be blocked.

I’m sure that it doesn’t support the meeting with other external organizations in Teams client.

However, user can join the Teams meeting as an anonymous user by click the link in the meeting invitation. When you join a Teams meeting as anonymous, it uses web browser.

<Reference Links>:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/join-a-meeting-without-a-teams-account-c6efc38f-4e03-4e79-b28f-e65a4c039508?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Friday, February 7, 2020 10:16 AM