none
Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.18342.8 (19h1_release) gives an Error 0x80070005 RRS feed

• Question

• Context<o:p></o:p>

1. just after a clean re-install of windows after the v1809 update caused havoc. Only Office 365 was loaded. OneDrive was not loaded. Local account after strange issue with MSA (lost access to my local userprofile! locked out locally after shortening my name on line!)<o:p></o:p>

2. after a sfc /scannow resulting in zero integrity issues to be sure to be sure after the clean install<o:p></o:p>

3. after a DISM /healthcheck successful to be also extra sure after the clean install<o:p></o:p>

4. after a chkdsk on all partitions to be extra sure<o:p></o:p>

I would install an ISO if I had one, but this update incident should not happen. There is something related to the installation that causes it. But what? It is a very simple home setup.<o:p></o:p>

Only particularity is that some "User Shell Folders" are relocated on partitions other than primary. (not c)<o:p></o:p>

Also, for my user setup, home & profile folders parameters are relocated on other partitions as well. (not c)<o:p></o:p>

I try -  with its known limitations -  to keep system folders, (now also application data folders &) private data folders and "public" data in 3 distinct areas (here partitions) for ease of backup & restore management purposes. Having achieved so, a clean install is catastrophic because the dead SIDs remain in the NTFS access right management of remaining data files in the logical partitions containing my data.  No tool given by MS to delete these dead SIDs and put some order back. It would be dangerous from a security perspective perhaps. So, I learn how to do that manually (take ownership, delete dead wood) and I have not yet learned to do that by script. I may one day if capable... I discover Windows access rights only through facing these annoying issues : lack of inherent structural consistency between W10 access rigth mgmt & NTFS together with no remediation tool given to the lambda user to test/repair.  And I see now that even MS struggles with it according to these nagging 0x80070005 errors at update or upgrade times. Time wasted for all. High time to fix structurally. 

PS: when the W7 Ultimate to W10 Pro upgrade migration had to take place automatically 3 years ago, it gave systematically the same error (Access denied) on the same set up & machine.  MediaCreationTool would not run either.  I had to use the ISO method. I remember it was a real pain to install that W10 upgrade on that machine (not on others with similar setups).<o:p></o:p>

Other PCs of mine have same setup, but that upgrade migration went well. So, still a mystery to me. It can't be attached to the machine after a clean install, can it? Or would that be a hint?

I read the log but can't do much with it. It fails on simple downloads. But in which folder. I could ensure with subinacl to give rights to trustedinstaller but I am playing & out of my depth here.

The error log is below. The container started to fill, so it is not a yes/no situation. I renamed the folder but a new one would not be created.

Then I renamed a level up C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore (after shutting down some services), I relaunched the update, it  worked ... until I saw briefly 17% then 0x80070005.  

kb4487044 update was completed successfully just before, which correspond to a pattern already observed: only major Windows Update releases fail with this error.   

<o:p>Thanks for your advice.</o:p>

DownloadManager

Generating download request for update 8FF9FADA-CE55-4468-B38A-BB5B26B6098B.1.

DownloadManager

Calling into handler 0xc to generate download request for update 8FF9FADA-CE55-4468-B38A-BB5B26B6098B.1.

Misc

Validating signature for C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cbf217b1c48a2a1e8eada8013d2181cd\DesktopDeployment.cab with dwProvFlags 0x00000080:

Misc

Microsoft signed: Yes

Handler

Using the update's service stack dll file 'C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cbf217b1c48a2a1e8eada8013d2181cd\Metadata\UpdateAgent.dll'

Handler

UUP GDR: Event Fired: TimeOut

DownloadManager

GenerateDownloadRequest returned WU_E_OPERATIONINPROGRESS for update 8FF9FADA-CE55-4468-B38A-BB5B26B6098B.1.

DownloadManager

Subscribing to GDR Retry due to async handler trigger.

SLS

Get response for service 9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77 - forceExpire[False] asyncRefreshOnExpiry[False]

DownloadManager

Generating download request for update 8FF9FADA-CE55-4468-B38A-BB5B26B6098B.1.

DownloadManager

Calling into handler 0xc to generate download request for update 8FF9FADA-CE55-4468-B38A-BB5B26B6098B.1.

Handler

*FAILED* [80070005] UUP GDR: Completed

DownloadManager

*FAILED* [80070005] GDR

DownloadManager

*FAILED* [80070005] Error occurred while downloading update 8FF9FADA-CE55-4468-B38A-BB5B26B6098B.1; notifying dependent calls.

The fail folllows the call within seconds. 

• Edited by acontrario Friday, March 1, 2019 11:19 PM
    Friday, March 1, 2019 6:37 PM

Answers

• Insider is for test and you have to install it on your own risk as it is for testing and evolution.

You should submit a bug report through Feedback Hub app.

• Marked as answer by acontrario Sunday, March 3, 2019 9:22 AM
    Saturday, March 2, 2019 6:49 PM

All replies

• Insider is for test and you have to install it on your own risk as it is for testing and evolution.

You should submit a bug report through Feedback Hub app.

• Marked as answer by acontrario Sunday, March 3, 2019 9:22 AM
    Saturday, March 2, 2019 6:49 PM
  • I had similar problem and in the end it turned out that the problem was Low Mandatory Integrity level on my system drive (C:). When I ran (admin powershell):

icacls C:\

I got:

C:\ NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(S,AD)
        NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(M)
        NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(F)
        BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F)
        BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(RX)
        Mandatory Label\Low Mandatory Level:(OI)(NP)(IO)(NW)

There was Low Mandatory Level. All my other working/upgradable PCs has High Mandatory Level. I fixed it with:

icacls C:\ /setintegritylevel '(OI)(NP)(IO)H'

and then the major upgarde went fine :-) 

Sunday, April 7, 2019 8:46 AM