windows update error 80070005

Question

• hi can you help me fix the error windows update 80070005???????????????please!!!!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:01 PM

Answers

•  

Hi djoli1313,

Thank you for the post.

The error code 80070005 usually means that you do not have enough permission to install updates.

First please confirm you have logged on an account with administrative privileges.

If the issue still occurs, lets’ try the following method to reset the permissions:

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch onto the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.

3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

Note: If the UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click Continue.

4. Click Start, in the Start Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the open Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================

@Echo Finished.

@pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.

7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, and then choose "Run as administrator."

8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Note: It may take several minutes. Please be patient. When it is completed, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

Try to install the updates again.

This issue can be also caused by third-party security programs such as firewalls and anti-virus software. You can disable or remove them to check the issue.

If the issue persists, please let me know which updates cannot be installed. Please let me know their names and IDs.

Hope it helps.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Chadwicked Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, April 04, 2011 2:46 AM
    Friday, November 30, 2007 3:04 AM
  • Changing permissions throughout the registry and file system is absolutely the wrong thing to do -- the system becomes essentially unsupportable from that point forward.  See KB article 885409.  There has to be a better resolution to these errors that focuses on the specific causes for the errors.

If you are running 3rd party security software, make sure that it is designed specifically for Windows Vista.  Anti-malware written for earlier versions of Windows can cause all kinds of unpredictable problems on Windows Vista.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Hey all,
    I've just resolved this issue for a client running Vista Business that was unable to install both SP1 & SP2 through any means, so it may be worth trying out yourselves. I'd tried renaming the Software Distribution folder and resetting the Windows Update components, neither of which worked; also as part of the issue, the Windows Update service was causing a memory leak that left the machine unusable and needing a reboot every 30-45 minutes - but that's what you get for running Vista on 1GB of RAM ;)

Here was my fix:

1. Enable the Administrator account (presuming of course that you are not already using this, and that the account you are using has admin privileges)
    2. Log off current user, log on as Administrator
    3. Run Windows Update

And just on a hunch, I revisited the Local Users & Groups to check out the client's account and found it both in the Administrators group AND the Guests group. Being as the most restrictive permissions apply, I believe this is what was causing the error so removed the client account from the Guests group. The machine was a factory OEM image but I can't say whether this setting was a default or if someone had modified it since.

Logging back on under the client account - Windows Update worked without a hitch, SP1 & SP2 installed and further updates applied, memory leak fixed. Oh - and I disabled the Administrator account.

Hope that helps someone, if it did, please let me know!

Cheers
    Dan
    • Proposed as answer by bb_bb_bb Monday, February 28, 2011 4:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, February 28, 2011 4:23 AM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:27 AM

All replies

•  

Hi djoli1313,

Thank you for the post.

The error code 80070005 usually means that you do not have enough permission to install updates.

First please confirm you have logged on an account with administrative privileges.

If the issue still occurs, lets’ try the following method to reset the permissions:

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch onto the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.

3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

Note: If the UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click Continue.

4. Click Start, in the Start Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the open Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo Finished.

@pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.

7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, and then choose "Run as administrator."

8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Note: It may take several minutes. Please be patient. When it is completed, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

Try to install the updates again.

This issue can be also caused by third-party security programs such as firewalls and anti-virus software. You can disable or remove them to check the issue.

If the issue persists, please let me know which updates cannot be installed. Please let me know their names and IDs.

Hope it helps.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Chadwicked Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, April 04, 2011 2:46 AM
    Friday, November 30, 2007 3:04 AM
  • I attempt do these steps (I am no the original poster) and I believe when the DOS window ended, it said something about not having privs to update.  In any case, now when I attempt to use Windows Updater in Vista, it tells me it is "Windows Could Not Search for New Updates"  same error code: 80070005...Ay ideas?  Any help is appreciated!

-Mike

Saturday, December 08, 2007 3:00 PM
  • Thank you!!! Just done exactly as you said and it worked perfectly! I have now finally installed the updates!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:00 PM
  • yeah, the code fixes the error 80070005, but it creates a "windows - no disk" error when you try to run a scan in norton, and it also causes system restore to error on restart.

Mr. Quan, how do I fix these problems created by the code?

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Nick,  If you have Norton Personal Firewall enabled, and you also have Windows Defender Firewall enabled this will prevent you from running LiveUpdate. 

I was trying for two days to figure out why this was happening, pulling my hair out. 

Make sure that you only have ONE Firewall up and running.  I tried to use just Norton's firewall, but that still would not allow my LiveUpdate to download updates or install them.

I then found a posting that told me to go to "Start" type in c:\windows\winsxs then look for the file "Pending.xml" and DELETE ALL PENDING FILES THERE.  IT WORKED.

THEN, disable Nortons firewall, and make sure that you have at least Windows Defender's Firewall up and running.

That should do it!!  I was then able to get all my updates with no problems.  And NO PROBLEMS with a scan in Norton either.

Hope this helps, and let me know.

Best Regards

Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:52 PM
  • I am having the very same problem installing an update for my monitor....HP w1907.  Lots of other people are having the same problem with this update (I have Windows Vista Home Premium).  I've tried all the solutions offered, and none of them work.  Stopped the firewall, did the reset, you name it.  Now what?  The monitor works fine, by the way, it's just the principle of the thing.
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 6:07 PM
  • MizLiz,

I also am running Windows Vista Home Premium.  Depending on what Anti-Virus program you are running, (i.e. I am running Norton Internet Security) you may try the following: 

First, make sure that you are NOT connected to the Internet as this could pose security risks or infect your computer with a virus, worm, etc., while your "firewall" program(s) are temproarily down.

Second,  if you have Windows Defender (the Firewall program that comes with Vista), enable it.  

Third, open your other Anti-Virus program (Norton, McAfee, or other) and disable the Firewall program there. 

At this point, I suggest that you "Default All" settings for this particular Anti-Virus program, which include defaulting your Internet Security Settings (i.e "Intrusion Prevention") also.  That is what I did.

Fourth, eventhough you are still not connected to the Internet at this point, open your Internet Explorer Browser, and click "Tools", then click "Internet Options" at the bottom of the drop down menu.  You will need to "Default" your settings.

I suggest that you click the "General" tab FIRST, and select "Delete Browsing History". (Make sure that you remember ALL of your passwords that you use for things such as Web-Mail, or other Web based sites as these passwords WILL be deleted unless you have them stored in your primary Antivirus program (some of these Anti-Virus programs use "Identity Safe" which stores your passwords and login info if you have selected to do so. "Cookies" will also be deleted, but don't worry about that as they will be automatically saved to your system when you revisit the Web Sites that you normaly use.

Then, click the "Security" settings tab and select "Default level", click "Apply" then "Ok".  After you do this, click the "Privacy" tab and select "Default" again, click "Apply" and then "Ok".  Now, exit "internet options".  Close all windows.

Now, make sure that you have Windows Defender turned ON. Don't turn on your other firewall program. Now, "Restart" your system.  Connect to the Internet, and open Internet Explorer.  Go to the "Start" button (bottom left corner of your monitor, the windows logo) and scroll up to "Windows Update" and click on it.  Be Patient, it takes some time for Microsoft to search for updates for your system.  

Hopefully, this will resolve your issue with Windows Update.  Let me know if this works for you, and if not let me know if you receive any other error #'s or messages.

PS: It could also be that your "Administrator" settings are not correctly configured, but this is a seperate procedure and I would suggest proceeding with the above FIRST, then let me know.  Also, it is highly suggested that you regularly "Defragment" your hard drive, and this can also help improve the performance of your computer.  More about that later if you need help.  Best of luck.

Regards,

Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:21 PM
  • Well, I have the same bad problem (mixed first with another one, 80024A000, which I finally fixed), it has to be with the users permissions. Windows Update, and some other desinstallers, think that the user doesn't have permissions to desinstall or install (although they have installed first), so It crash the W Update service (and other things also) in any sense, and, due that W. Update doesn't seem to be the same for Vista because you have to run it entirely from machine, not from the internet, well, Houston, we have a problem...

The soft I'm using is Windows Vista Business 32b (as it comes from toshiba). The laptop was not seeing the network, nor the printer, due to MS inside firewall. We turned it completely off, but then we had to install something to work like firewall, so we tried zone alarm (I prefer COmodo, but I was not able to install it, allways getting problems)... error, don't do it if your machine has some problem's with user's permissions, something we didn't really knew then. Anyway, zone alarm has some bugs, I think, and W Vista... bffff rrrghghsgaaaaarrrrghhhh.... you allready know.

I'm not sure the subinacl.msi will work for the Windows Vista user's. Remember this post was of November '07, it can be of XP. If you look for this subincl installer on Microsoft, the systems they say that this works don't include any version of Vista..., so, maybe if you run this application under vista, it may corrupt finally some other aspects.

Bye, best wishes, and let me know if you fix this problem... I finally decided to reinstall Vista (no drivers for XP in Toshiba, what a xxxxx), very very very slooooowly.

Miki
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Changing permissions throughout the registry and file system is absolutely the wrong thing to do -- the system becomes essentially unsupportable from that point forward.  See KB article 885409.  There has to be a better resolution to these errors that focuses on the specific causes for the errors.

If you are running 3rd party security software, make sure that it is designed specifically for Windows Vista.  Anti-malware written for earlier versions of Windows can cause all kinds of unpredictable problems on Windows Vista.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I did as you suggested above, and afterwards I was able to download and install Windows Media Player 11.  However, I still cannot get Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 to install although it keeps popping up in my automatic download systray icon.  Is there something else I can do to download this file.  The helps offer no suggestion.  If possible, please email back.  Thank you.

johnwalkernetmail@mailcity.com

Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:42 PM
  • I had the same problem then i remembered that i had hidden the folders on my C drive (OS drive) to stop the kids messing with them. to solve the problem i opened the windows folder on my OS drive (make sure you can view hidden folders and files) then i right clicked on the folder titled software distribution and made sure that it was not "marked" as hidden. opened up windows update and it worked.

• Proposed as answer by aznstuart Friday, May 08, 2009 12:56 AM
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 4:31 PM
  • hi, i know its been a while since you left this post but i wondered if you could help? I have the exact same problem as you, HP w1907v and error code 80070005 on windows updates, did you find a solution that worked? If so could you let me know what you did please? I'm not very technical - just a home pc user!

thanks

littletay

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:19 PM
  •  

Hello djoli1313,

Log on with the administrator credentials

Open elevated command prompt window in case you are using Vista(i.e right click on the cmd and run the application as an administrator.

Run the below commands:

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /f
    wmic /namespace:\\root\ccm\SoftwareUpdates\Wuahandler path CCM_UpdateSource delete---failed
    wmic /namespace:\\root\ccm\ScanAgent path CCM_ScanToolHistory delete--failed
    net stop wuauserv
    net start wuauserv

Reboot the machine and then check for the updates,you should be able to install them successfully

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:49 AM
  •  

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:38 AM
  •  Ranjini Venkatesh wrote:

Hello djoli1313,

Log on with the administrator credentials

Open elevated command prompt window in case you are using Vista(i.e right click on the cmd and run the application as an administrator.

Run the below commands:

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /f
    wmic /namespace:\\root\ccm\SoftwareUpdates\Wuahandler path CCM_UpdateSource delete---failed
    wmic /namespace:\\root\ccm\ScanAgent path CCM_ScanToolHistory delete--failed
    net stop wuauserv
    net start wuauserv

Reboot the machine and then check for the updates,you should be able to install them successfully

Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:47 PM
  • K...I tried everything in this post and I still can't update.  It gets to the point where it creates a restore point and then when it tries to install it just gives me the error.  The error is only for a Conexant Audio - Conexant High Definition Smartaudio HD2.  Ihave no ideas from this point.  Any help?

Monday, June 23, 2008 5:12 PM
  •  

Monday, June 23, 2008 8:12 PM
  • I have tried both the solution at the top of this thread and the one posted by Ranjini Venkatesh to no avail. My computer tells me that it can't find that reg key or value (first command). I am running Vista Business 32-bit on a Lenovo X61 tablet. The routine from the top of the thread seemed to work, but it did not solve the problem.

I am unable to update video or audio device drivers at all. I have tried Windows update, Lenovo System Update, and I have even downloaded standalone updates from Lenovo and Intel's websites. None of them work. To confirm, I am getting error 80070005 from windows update.

Help is greatly appreciated. I know I'm not the only one with this problem.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:45 PM

• Thanks Tim, that really helped.
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:43 AM
  •  

Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:24 AM
  • Hi Tim,

One of my colleagues followed your windows update instructions step by step but unfortunately NOT on XP but on Vista.

So now anything he wants to do he gets back error messages, e.g.:

- when checking connection status: "not enough storage to complete this operation"  

- when trying windows update: "error code 8007000E"

- when trying to repair windows uding system restore: "not enough storage to complete this operation" and "error code 8007000E"

He doesn't have network connection, no internet, practicly nothing's working, that's why I am writing to you, 'cause ha can't.

The whole problem started when he wanted to install vista service pack 1, but he couldn't and tried to find some solution...and he found your instructions what he followed and now vista doesn't work at all...it seems that changing permissions went wrong...

So, his questions are the followings:

- how can he restore the original, default state of his vista system (as it was before he followed your instructions)

- when he will be done with that, how can he install service pack 1 anyway

Oh, and one more thig: he bought his notebook with vista installed on it, so he does not have an install CD.

We look forward to your fast response.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:40 PM
  • Hi everyone,

We have found the solution. Follow the instructions of the link below

"Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions":

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

I did the same, and now everything's working properly and I have no more error messages.

cheers

Friday, June 27, 2008 8:35 AM
  • I had a problem accessing certain  files over a small network that caused error 80070005 to appear. I followed the instructions that Tim gave but it has made the problem worse as I now just get the massage ' // laptop/laptop documents and settings........' etc is not accessible . You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator 'etc etc . I have signed in as administrator on both computers. I have tried system restore to bring it back to where it was but it will not restore so I have uninstalled subinacl .exe file but still have no access. Any ideas please ? Both computers are using XP Pro.
    • Proposed as answer by billi1971 Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:38 AM
    Wednesday, July 09, 2008 8:54 PM
  • I am also getting the 80070005 update error on window vista ultimate.

I have done everything that Tim has written down and when I run the code all I get in ms-dos mode is:

"'subinacl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

I have this line displayed eight times.

This means that the computer will not update at all.

Any ideas would be of great help as I have not been able to update the pc for a month and a half.

Monday, July 14, 2008 9:15 AM
  • Hi i did what you said in this message and it didnt fix the problem i still cant get windows update working

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:40 PM
  •  

I'm another one having this problem. When I clicked on your link to download. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#Requirements) These are the systems it shows to support:  

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

You can download and install SubInACL.exe on the following operating systems:

• Windows 2000 Professional
    • Windows 2000 Server
    • Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    • Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
    • Windows XP Professional
    • Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
    • Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
    • Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
    • Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition 

I am running Vista Home Premium. Will it work?

Saturday, August 16, 2008 6:37 AM
  •  

Tim,

Thanks for your help on this error. Keep up the good work. I will countinue to come to technet to help me with any other issues that come along.

Thanks again

mjo

Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:31 AM
  • This man speaks the truth. This shotgun approach really made me nervous. Sure enough, not only did it not fix the problem, I started seeing even more glitches here and there until the other day my user account got hosed. Now I can't log in at all. The only setting I changed was my power profile. I used the computer just fine one day, and shut it down properly. The next day it displayed "Welcome" for a very long time only to be followed by a blank Win2k-blue background and a mouse pointer. I tried three times to log in to my account. I ended getting in as the domain admin, but the profile with all of my settings and things is apparently toast. Luckily I have access to an updated image that I can put on this thing. What are regular folks supposed to do?

BTW - I have TrendMicro SMB and it is* Vista compatible. I haven't seen this particular problem on the other 70 or so Vista machines I support.

*as much as anything is, including drivers included in Vista

ThinkPad X61 Tablet, Vista Business 32-bit SP1 applied through Win Update
    Most of the ThinkVantage utilities removed
    all current Lenovo driver updates applied, except for one or two that won't work because of the same problem with Win Update error

Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:13 AM
  • This is what I was referring to:
     Aaron Margosis - MSFT wrote:

Changing permissions throughout the registry and file system is absolutely the wrong thing to do -- the system becomes essentially unsupportable from that point forward.  See KB article 885409.  There has to be a better resolution to these errors that focuses on the specific causes for the errors.

BTW - it smells like trolls in here.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:17 AM
  • Don't wast your time. I have resolved all my windows update errors with Portable Update at www.portableupdate.com.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Whenever I use that command, all the files it modifies are failed, as shown here

Is this supposed to happen or is it broken?

Sunday, October 12, 2008 12:54 AM
  • Works amazingly! Thanks! And, it probably took about 15 minutes or so.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 12:00 AM
  • Tried the subinacl trick. still get error "800700005 windows encounterd unknown error" . Not sure what to do now. do I even need hp display for my monitor - HP w2007 - ?  maybe uninstalling the hp display will help?  thanks  steve394

Sunday, November 02, 2008 8:30 PM
  • i have tried this approach and it to failed to update my account is an administrator account . please help with code 80070005

Monday, November 03, 2008 6:34 PM
  • please help with code 80070005 my account has administrative permission to install updates but it wont let me and ive tried what you posted but it still wont work please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday, November 03, 2008 6:39 PM
  • I tried this and it did not solve my problem.  I am still unable to install the necessary monitor driver.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 10:25 PM
  • I solved it by formatting my hard drive and reinstalling vista.
    Sunday, December 07, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Hey everybody.

I just wanted to let you guys know that I just did Tim's process and it worked. I am running vista and the link that he provided did work for vista as well. After doing his procedure windows update had to update itself and reboot my computer. After successfully updating itself it received an error 80072EE2. This error has to do with permission from firewalls so I added windows update as an exception for both windows firewall and McAfee. (Note: the file for windows update is under: C:>Windows>system32>wuapp). After doing that I had no further issues.

I hope this helps!

Chadwick
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:49 AM
  • Will this fix work on Vista. I cannot install SP1 on my Vista machine. I keep getting this same error. I have disabled the firewall and it still will not load any updates. I am logged on as Administrator.
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 4:29 AM
  • Seems to have worked so far...

Thanks Tim!

Just a note. There is 0 documentation about this error message in the Windows help files... someone should work on that, also, someone should build a solution that does not involve manually creating and executing batch files!
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 12:57 AM
  • Here is the real problem.  The version of Vista that we "idiot consumers" get with HP, Toshiba, etc is the worst version ever.  And, for some unknown marketing/sales reason, we're expected to PAY MORE for the "retail" version of Vista?   Uh, I bought my PC at a "retail" establishment, so why didnt I get the "retail" version of the OS?   I cant reinstall the OS, I have amazingly useless and bloated programs installed on my new PC - which NONE I want to use.   I cant get a clean install.

As long as consumers are treated like idiots, we'll continue to get the ____ end of the stick.   I want to reinstall my Vista Home Premium and, oh yea, I dont want the OS to ask me a billion different ways from Sunday if I am sure I want to "do this" or "do that".

Its also quite apparent - that we, as a society, continue to allow spammers, and scheisters alike, to continue to run amok, without criminal prosecution, the rest of society will continue to suffer.

Frustrated to no end.  My two cents.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Thanks, Tim. 

I don't know if it was the above file and reset.bat or disabling the MacAfee firewall that fixed the problem..  I did pretty much everything you wrote and my updates are now working.  Future users with problems may want to start with their A/V firewall and then proceed to the other solutions if that doesn't solve the problem (The reset.bat took about 25 minutes).  Thanks.

Steve
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:53 PM
  • Mr. Crabs,

Thanks.  I'm sure disabling my a/v firewall, along with Tim's reply, had alot to do with getting my Updates working again. 

Steve
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Hi Tim,
    Your patch worked well! I was able to download the Windows Updates after having error 80070005 for two months! On thing is now occuring, I cannot seem to change my Administrator Password now. I logon successfully everytime the computer boots up with the password (I'm using Vista), also, I'm the only user (Administrator). It says that I am not putting in the correct password, but I am.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 1:42 PM
  • I have done this and it seemed to work, but then I had to do it again...

Any thoughts on why that would be????

Thanks,
    Eric
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:39 PM
  • I had the same problem then i remembered that i had hidden the folders on my C drive (OS drive) to stop the kids messing with them. to solve the problem i opened the windows folder on my OS drive (make sure you can view hidden folders and files) then i right clicked on the folder titled software distribution and made sure that it was not "marked" as hidden. opened up windows update and it worked.

WOW. I've been searching for the answer to this since I got my laptop in Aug 08. After breaking in my laptop and deleting all the bulk ware and HIDING all the system files...I realized I could no longer update it anymore. I'd always get that 80070005 error. I searched across many many forums but never found an answer. Then I came across this post and tried it...IT WORKS!!!

I just had to unhide that folder: Software Distribution.

Wow, such an easy solution for such an important task. Now I have over 400mb of updates. yikes.

Thanks Freddie1234!
    Friday, May 08, 2009 1:03 AM
  • i tried it and it worked but now its been 2 days and i tried cheking for updates again but it says error 80070005
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Absolutely FANTASTIC!!!! I have been looking for MONTHS for a fix. You should add that you should restart the PC at the end Before trying to install the updates.

ONCE AGAIN THANKS SO MUCH!!!
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:39 PM
  • I have this problem on Vista as well, but only with one program that is allegedly Vista-compatible.

I have tried all of the manual registering tricks and firewall disabling and it made absolutely no difference.

I guess I can safely assume that this particular software is clearly not Vista-compatible after all?

Thanks
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:40 PM
  • The SubInAcl tool mentioned above does indeed fix the permissions problems keeping people using Vista from downloading automatic updates.  However, it comes at a cost.   The problem is, it will strip users from Access Control Lists because the tool does not take into account special system users on certain ACL's, such as audiosrv for example, which can keep the sound on some computers from working.  And I'm sure it causes other problems as well, which you will soon learn when you try to use or install certain software and find your system to be unstable.  The person who designed this sweeping permissions-changing program was apparently unaware of the fact that some important system files have specialized users in the ACL.  And this fix will strip them.  And restoring the defaults will not help.  The only option after this is to use System Restore or reinstall Windows. 

The real question is why Microsoft is ignoring this problem that is being experienced by countless thousands of Vista users who keep getting the error code 80070005.  They've known about it for over a year, and are not helping anyone.

Friday, September 04, 2009 4:08 AM
  • You might like to tryout " Norton Utilities 2009 version 14.0.0.318 " ; You can try it for free without any strings attached. I found Norton's has a solid program, to customize your computer the way you like it. I've been using The Norton's, since Windows 95 went on sale for the first time, and the software has never let me down, gotta read its manual then you know what to expect out of the program. Utilities 2009 has some cool features that can be adjusted real good, but the optimizing programs for registries and different user start-ups saves alot of time, get more things done instead of waiting for the system to recycle ok or not. Here's a link to Norton Utilities to try for now and buy later. Think this will help you out.

https://shop.symantecstore.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=symnahho&id=QCShoppingCartPage

kldb57@hotmail
    Friday, September 18, 2009 6:15 AM
  • hello,
    i tried the above instructions and it failed to work. the download that keeps failing has to do with an hp w1907 monitor. i keep getting this code 80070005.
    any help appreciated.
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 6:31 PM
  • HP - Display - HP w2207 Wide LCD Monitor

released August 4 2009
    Monday, October 05, 2009 2:06 AM
  • Hi Tim, I tried your solution steps but it didn/t wotk. I am using HP Pavillion Notebook dv2700 with WIndows Vista OS.
    Please suggest some solution that is relevent. My Windows Media player is not popping up when double clicked. But looks like it is about to pop up.
    Thanks and Regards,
    M Kris.
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 2:37 PM
  • After paying for a bogus program (RegCure) that did not work--This worked. Anyway, I also dismantled Spyware Doctor as well--Perhaps that was the reason--Jon

Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:29 PM
  • After months of 80070005 errors when trying to check for updates, Tim's solution worked for me.  I also uninstalled my anti-virus/malware, but the uninstallations alone did not solve my problem.  It's nice to have updates again.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:14 PM
  • Hey all,
    I've just resolved this issue for a client running Vista Business that was unable to install both SP1 & SP2 through any means, so it may be worth trying out yourselves. I'd tried renaming the Software Distribution folder and resetting the Windows Update components, neither of which worked; also as part of the issue, the Windows Update service was causing a memory leak that left the machine unusable and needing a reboot every 30-45 minutes - but that's what you get for running Vista on 1GB of RAM ;)

Here was my fix:

1. Enable the Administrator account (presuming of course that you are not already using this, and that the account you are using has admin privileges)
    2. Log off current user, log on as Administrator
    3. Run Windows Update

And just on a hunch, I revisited the Local Users & Groups to check out the client's account and found it both in the Administrators group AND the Guests group. Being as the most restrictive permissions apply, I believe this is what was causing the error so removed the client account from the Guests group. The machine was a factory OEM image but I can't say whether this setting was a default or if someone had modified it since.

Logging back on under the client account - Windows Update worked without a hitch, SP1 & SP2 installed and further updates applied, memory leak fixed. Oh - and I disabled the Administrator account.

Hope that helps someone, if it did, please let me know!

Cheers
    Dan
    • Proposed as answer by bb_bb_bb Monday, February 28, 2011 4:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, February 28, 2011 4:23 AM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:27 AM
  • Tim,
    I am still having the code error 80070005 when i try to run Windows Live Call.  A couple months ago I did something with my permissions that gave me errors in certain programs.  I desperately need to use this software now for family in Mexico.  I have tried uninstalling it, reinstalling it.  I also went through the whole process with the subinacl and have ran that in the command prompt as informed but it still hasn't solved the problem.  I have just bought and am running "regcure" to see if that might work but i NEED HELP!!  Please help...
    Friday, December 25, 2009 1:18 AM
  • if your account is administrator then that is your problem. you will have to change it to standerd user. hope this helps
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:23 PM
  • gracias a ver si funciona
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:31 PM
  • Tim,

I had a 80070005 error code also.  I tried exactly what you suggested and it still won't load updates.  On top of that.....my sound won't work (there now is a speaker icon in system tray that has a red circle and red slash over it), nor will the network on the task bar work or get recognized and it has a red x over it.  Can you help me get THAT back up and working?   Is a file saved when you gave us the reset.bat so that we could restore the registery?  I can't get restore to work either. 

Non of the updates will load and there are over 9 of them. 
    Monday, January 18, 2010 11:04 PM
  • hi

you have issues checking for the updates or installing updates???
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 6:55 PM
  • I did these steps (I am no the original poster). But I attempt to use Windows Updater in Windows 7, I got the same error message : "Code 80070005 Windows Update encountred an uknown error "  same error code: ...Any ideas? 
    Saturday, May 08, 2010 1:12 AM
  • Genius!

Candy

Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:13 PM
  • I uninstalled Comodo Internet Security and then the updates worked.  Just disabling it didnt help, only an actual uninstall
    Friday, July 02, 2010 5:41 PM
  • You don't have to uninstall COMODO Internet Security. Just go to Defense+/Advanced/Computer Security Policy ,locate C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe and change policy from Custom to Windows System Application. Had the same error ,did the above and all updates were downloaded and installed successfully.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:12 AM
  • This worked a trest for me, thank you so much!! Very clear, very quick and very concise!
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Tim:

I followed all your steps in regards to error code 80070005. Then I tried to install my update for my monitor, an HP w1907. I continue to receive the same error code 80070005. This is a new computer right out of the box. The monitor is working fine but everytime I reboot or turn on the computer I get a message telling me I need to update my monitor driver. I've gone to the HP website. Even talked on-line and did everything the on-line consultant recommended. Still have the same problem and error code. By the way I did turn off my virus scanner, I use AVG. And I turned off my firewall, I use the windows firewall. And I turned off my internet connection when I ran your subinacl code.  Any other suggestions?  FYI I have an HP Pavillion Slimline model number s5123w with Windows VISTA Home Premium, an AMD Sempron Processor LE-125 with 3.0 GB RAM and 32-bit Operating System. Don't know if you need any other information. If you do please ask. I'd like to get this resolved.

Thanks,

Anita

Friday, October 15, 2010 7:45 AM
  • Bingo.  Thanks, man. 
    Friday, November 05, 2010 11:16 AM
  • This worked perfect for me....On Vista. sp2

Sunday, November 07, 2010 11:07 PM
  • Tim Quan...

I followed your steps and went through the DOS-like process and then tried checking for updates, but the problem still occurs ie; error code 80070005 when i try checking for windows updates...

PLEASE HELP!!

Regards,

Friday, December 03, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Thanks TCG_Dan! This worked for me. I am running Windows 7, 64 bit. I usually make my account a member of all groups. This worked fine in Windows XP but apparently doesn't work in Windows 7 or Vista. After I removed my user account from all groups except the Administrators, Windows Update started to work! I also had a problem installing .Net Framework 4 I suspect for the same reason.  subinacl did not work!!!
    Monday, February 28, 2011 4:21 AM
  • Thanks  a million Tim :-) Haven't been able to do any updated since 17/11/2010.

Was determined to sort it out today.

It was worth finding this site eventually.

As i am now updating 21 updates.

It was defiantly worth staying up till nearly one in the morning for.

I will go to bed feeling pleased that i have sorted this out with your help :-)

Helen

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:56 AM
  • hi can you help me fix the error windows update 80070005???????????????please!!!!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:38 AM
  • Sure, Click Start, All Programs, Right click on Windows Update, Run as Administrator, Click Yes/Confirm

Run the update like normal.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 4:21 PM