none
Add barcode reader to W10 phone RRS feed

• Question

• I have Lumia 950 XL. Is it possible to add a barcode reader software to it? Something that when I scan a barcode it is entered into active text field.

Thanks

Monday, February 19, 2018 5:07 PM

Answers

• @Markgoldin,

I am not aware of an app-based solution that would allow you to read a barcode via the camera into another application.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

• Marked as answer by markgoldin Saturday, February 24, 2018 9:11 PM
    Saturday, February 24, 2018 9:07 PM
  • Ok, the answer in no.
    Saturday, February 24, 2018 9:11 PM

All replies

• @Markgoldin,

To use the built in camera you would need to incorporate a software decode solution such as ZXing into your application.  You could also use a Bluetooth scanner with UWP APIs from Windows.Devices.PointOfService to incorporate support into your application.  Neither of these options will extend support to existing applications though.

I am not certain if you could use a Bluetooth scanner in keyboard emulation mode to make it work with just any application but you could try.  Configure your Bluetooth scanner as a keyboard then pair it to your phone.  It might work for keyboard input. I am sorry, but I do not have the necessary hardware with me to confirm this.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Saturday, February 24, 2018 7:55 PM
  • Not sure what you are telling me. All I want is to download an app that would scan a barcode and paste it into the active text field. Ideally an additional button on a keyboard.
    Saturday, February 24, 2018 8:51 PM
  • @Markgoldin,

I am not aware of an app-based solution that would allow you to read a barcode via the camera into another application.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Saturday, February 24, 2018 9:07 PM
  • Ok, the answer in no.
    Saturday, February 24, 2018 9:11 PM