none
Cannot get my HP 6l to work with new Windows 7 pro 64 bit OS....

Question

• I just got a new Compaq with windows 7pro OS 64 bit after my old windows 2000 OS computer died. I was able to hook-up my old wonderful  HP Laserjet 6L via a converter cable (parallel to usb). I added the old prinetr to the new system and my computer does recognize the Hp 6l and has it marked as the main one, but when I go to send a print job to the printer.... nothing!  I hope someone can help as I love my old printer and cannot afford to buy a new one!
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:52 PM

Answers

• Your printer requires specialized print drivers from HP.  You will have to contact HP Tech Support to find out if they are going to publish drivers for your printer since Microsoft does not write any print drivers for third party hardware.  That is the sole responsibility of HP.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, March 08, 2010 2:10 AM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:34 PM
  • Please first try installing the drivers from Windows Update website. If the issue persists, please go to Start -> Devices and Printers -> right click on the printer and then click Troubleshoot -> follow the wizard to complete the troubleshoot.

Also, here is a related post from HP forum.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 7:55 AM

All replies

• Your printer requires specialized print drivers from HP.  You will have to contact HP Tech Support to find out if they are going to publish drivers for your printer since Microsoft does not write any print drivers for third party hardware.  That is the sole responsibility of HP.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:34 PM
  • You must have the 64bit driver for your printer, here is the likh to HP for the driver you will need:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=14974&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25476&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4063

Hope this helps,

Garry
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Gary: Thanks for the helpful hint.. I went to the link you gave me and it looked like it would give me a driver update but then it got shut down with an error message saying "Windows blocked this software because it cannot verify the Publisher"  This after I already told it to go ahead and do it and ignore the pop-up blocker.. I don't know where to go to tell it that it is ok to do this one change... Any suggestions? Thanks, tooold4this..  aka Ellen
    Monday, March 01, 2010 1:27 AM
  • Rick.. thanks much.... I am trying another suggestion that may not work and I may have to go back to HP, but I was already told they don't support the 6L anymore with new drivers... although when I went to the site another person suggested, it noted it was supported... too much for an old lady to deal with ! :>) Thanks, again! tooold4this  aka Ellen
    Monday, March 01, 2010 1:30 AM
  • The 6 L should have installed with the 6 L drivers in the Microsoft driver store

you shoud not have had to supply the drivers, is this what happen???

If you go into the printer control panel and check the properties of the printer what port does it say it is connected to?

Monday, March 01, 2010 2:29 AM
  • Bubba: Thanks for the response: When i go to the control panel and then to the printer area, there is nothing that calls itself a port location, however, under the device function summary area under the Hardware tab it has  areas called Manufacturer, Location and Device Status and all these areas are blank... does that help? Am I in the right area?

When I hooked up the printer to my computer and then added the 6L in my computer just using that function already within it, (not from the MS store)  the computer said it was adding the driver and once done, it did reflect the printer was installed and my main printer...Thanks, tooold4this.... aka Ellen
    Monday, March 01, 2010 4:53 AM
  • The driver store is not a "store" you buy from, driver "store "as in stored away.
    This how the windows update pushs down the updates for hardware drivers submitted by the vendors.
    Yes the right area
    areas called Manufacturer, Location and Device Status and all these areas are blank

So I can then assume the properties tab is grayed out???

I am going to guess that win 7 sees the printer as a parallel port printer which it fact it is and the fact that you are using a USB
    to parallel adaptor it is confused and not seeing it at the USB port.

As far as I know there is no way to force install a printer on a USB port.

I think you any be getting a new printer or looking at getting a parallel port print server ($ 45.00 USD online)

link provided just so you see what I am speaking of, site may not be best price, but is a KNOWN good vendor.
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=AA27570
    Monday, March 01, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Please first try installing the drivers from Windows Update website. If the issue persists, please go to Start -> Devices and Printers -> right click on the printer and then click Troubleshoot -> follow the wizard to complete the troubleshoot.

Also, here is a related post from HP forum.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 7:55 AM
  • tooold4this,
    Refer to this reference for installing the Laserjet 6L in Vista. The process is similar in Windows 7. It appears that the wizard will make an "HP Universal Print Monitor port" available. Here is the link: http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00815956/c00815956.pdf

Depending on your home network equipment, another solution is to purchase a used HP Jetdirect 300x print server and connect the printer to print server, then the print server to your internet router. eBay (referenced by Bubbapcguy)
    That resolves the connectivity interface issue and makes the computer a network printer. That would add more life to this printer. Then you use the "add a network printer" wizard.

Good Luck keeping "old reliable" in service.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 11:21 AM