none
I lost my administrator rights to my hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I need urgent help because this is my final year in in school and i have a lot of essays to write and nearing the end of my summer holiday i have now just realized i have lost access to my hard drive. It seems that my the only account on my laptop has lost its administrator right even though my account still remains administrator. it says C:\is not accessible. it says something  about my permissions being restricted. 

i have tried loads of ways to try and fix this but none have been successful due to my lack of administrator rights. please help me!!!

Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:29 PM

Answers

• If you do not have access to the local C:\ drive then chances are, you cannot activate the Administrator account using the net user command. You will most likely need to be logged out of the account in order for this to work. One way to do this is to boot into Safe Mode by rebooting your computer. Then at the manufacture splash screen press F8 to access Alternate Boot Options. From this section you should see several boot options. Choose to boot into Safe Mode. At this point you should be able to log in as Administrator. 

Click Start> right-click My Computer and choose Manage. Navigate to the Local Users and Groups then to Users. Right-click your account and choose properties. Navigate to the 2nd tab at the top labeled Member Of and click Add. Then type Administrators and hit OK. This will add your account to the local administrators group to be able to perform Administrative actions.

Once this step is completed you can reboot your workstation and log back into the OS as you normally would. Then try and navigate to your directory as needed. If the problem still persist or if you are unable to log into the Administrator account from Safe Mode, your workstation may be controlled by Group Policy, in which, you will need to visit your local IT Admin to be able to gain those Administrative privileges back on your machine. 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:01 PM

All replies

• HIDDEN ADMIN ACCOUNT - Windows 7

START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe | select 'Run as Administrator' | type/ paste:
    To activate the Hidden Administrator account -

Code:
    net user administrator /active:yes

Log off your user account and an account named Administrator will be waiting for you at the log on screen.

To deactivate the Hidden Administrator account -
    Code:
    net user administrator /active:no

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:22 AM
  • If you do not have access to the local C:\ drive then chances are, you cannot activate the Administrator account using the net user command. You will most likely need to be logged out of the account in order for this to work. One way to do this is to boot into Safe Mode by rebooting your computer. Then at the manufacture splash screen press F8 to access Alternate Boot Options. From this section you should see several boot options. Choose to boot into Safe Mode. At this point you should be able to log in as Administrator. 

Click Start> right-click My Computer and choose Manage. Navigate to the Local Users and Groups then to Users. Right-click your account and choose properties. Navigate to the 2nd tab at the top labeled Member Of and click Add. Then type Administrators and hit OK. This will add your account to the local administrators group to be able to perform Administrative actions.

Once this step is completed you can reboot your workstation and log back into the OS as you normally would. Then try and navigate to your directory as needed. If the problem still persist or if you are unable to log into the Administrator account from Safe Mode, your workstation may be controlled by Group Policy, in which, you will need to visit your local IT Admin to be able to gain those Administrative privileges back on your machine. 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Since you mentioned you lost access to a complete drive, this means you have misconfigured NTFS permissions.

To fix this, right click on the C:\ icon in My Computer, go to it's properties, go to the Security tab, click on Edit. Select the Administrators group and grant them "Allow: Full Control". This should fix the problem.

Please revert back here if this does not resolve your issue. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:11 PM