none
Backup - unable to exclude folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have two laptops with Win 10, and as I try to setup backup for each, I'm unable to exclude folders. There are sections for what to backup and what to exclude, so I removed most of the folders it's backing up (e.g. Videos), and even tried to exclude specific folders. However whenever I quit the screen and go back everything is back to default. All folders are there and no exclusions. 

End result is that it always keeps backing up folders that have huge files in them. Note that I'm using a network drive. 

Am I missing something? This is supposed to be really simple.

Thanks

Saturday, September 5, 2015 12:34 PM

Answers

• Are you using File History to backup? Noticed with that it will let me add in the Exclude screen more than one folder in that screen, but only adds one. So if using File History can you add the Excludes one at a time?

There is also Backups and Restore (Windows 7) in Control Panel on Windows 10.

Depending on what you are backing up you may like to consider a 3rd party application specific for that task as Zigzag3134x suggested.

Saturday, September 5, 2015 3:13 PM

All replies

• The built in backup is anything but simple or flexible.  My suggestion is to use a 3rd party app Like Acronis True Image home.  It is a paid app but bullet proof, easy to use, and unlike the built in backup, can restore to a non working OS.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Saturday, September 5, 2015 2:15 PM
  • Are you using File History to backup? Noticed with that it will let me add in the Exclude screen more than one folder in that screen, but only adds one. So if using File History can you add the Excludes one at a time?

There is also Backups and Restore (Windows 7) in Control Panel on Windows 10.

Depending on what you are backing up you may like to consider a 3rd party application specific for that task as Zigzag3134x suggested.

Saturday, September 5, 2015 3:13 PM
  • Hi Loadstone007sa,

Please check the reply in the thread below:

Cannot exclude folder from File History Backup

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4f19c994-3e62-4acd-881c-c46e29d3d112/cannot-exclude-folder-from-file-history-backup?forum=win10itprogeneral

I tested that at my side and it works.

In addition to the configuration under settings, there is still some manageable part available under Control Panel, we may try to exclude folder from there.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 7, 2015 8:56 AM
  • I'm trying to use File History. Didn't try the Win7 backup, not really interested in it unless the FH won't work. Same for 3rd party programs. I prefer not to install many programs.

Monday, September 7, 2015 7:46 PM
  • This guy had the same problem I'm experiencing but there's no apparent solution.

Also tried it under control panel - I could exclude some folders (but not Downloads, for example) but it would still backup everything. Bubblegum. 

Monday, September 7, 2015 7:59 PM
  • So do the excluded folders added in Control Panel stay listed as excluded in Control Panel?

Also do you have a C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration folder? does it contain Catalog1.edb, Catalog2.edb, Config1.xml, Config2.xml?

Do you have permissions to that folder, do you have full read \ write access?

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 8:03 PM
  • Hi Loadstore007sa,

What is your current situation?

If issue insists, could you please share us your xml files here?

Besides, the folder structure is copied there, but the contents shouldn't be backuped if we have excluded the folders.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 14, 2015 2:07 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.

On my system:

• No, excluded folders added in Control Panel do not stay listed as excluded in Control Panel. Add a folder, hit save, go back into Exclude Folders and it says "No excluded items."
    • There is a C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration folder. My user account does not have permissions to read/write. I logged into my account with admin credentials and tried to add read/write permissions for my "regular" user account. It didn't work.
    • Since Administrators were listed as having Full control, I switched my regular account to an administrator account, logged out and in, and then tried to change File History settings. They still won't stick.
    • On the drive with my File History data, there is another Configuration folder. 'Everyone' is listed as having Full control. In that folder are Config.xml files. They list folders as being excluded, but those exclusions are not reflected in either the Control Panel or Settings interfaces.
    • File History is backing up folders that are NOT listed in the "Back up these folders" section. For example, my Downloads folder is not in the list of folder to back up, but File History is still backing it up. It is also listed as a folder to exclude in the Config#.xml files, yet it gets added to the File History store. Same goes for Music and Movies. What's even more peculiar is that for some reason, File History is creating versions of files that don't change, such as mp3s that I haven't listened to in many months.
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 7:15 PM
  • Hi StripetyTiger,

Which account you used to setup the file history?

File history should be associated with the user account, the other account won't has permissions to access the related files.

It is recommended that we setup the file History from the beginning, if available.

Currently there are two places which could be used to change the backup settings of File Histroy, and there are already suggestions submitted on this topic to build it into One.

So if the file history don't behave as you expected, please try the backup and restore under Windows 7, and the previous versions of the folder properties.

Regards

Monday, October 5, 2015 4:16 AM
  • This is exactly what happens to me on two notebooks which back up to the network drive
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:53 PM
  • This is exactly what happens to me on two notebooks which back up to the network drive

Can you have a look at Windows 10 backup: included/excluded folders do not persist

That describes a different issue, that is about excluding \ removing the folders included by default (as opposed to specifying exclude folders). Hopefully that is clear and it has taken awhile on the linked thread to work out the difference. If you are removing default selected folders that then re-appear on the list can you put a post in the other thread to tell the poster you get the same issue.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:50 PM