none
Windows 7 will not complete setup and fully boot using NVidia GPU

    Question

  • Is there an issue with Windows 7 and NVidia based video cards? I can never actually get it to fully boot into the OS and get a GUI using two different NVidia card except in Safe Mode..then I get a message saying Setup could not finish in Safe Mode Please Restart in Normal Mode...I do this and it never boots fully. When Windows 7 tries to boot into the OS, I get a screen that says Starting Windows then my display goes blank and my monitor shuts off and never seems to actually finish the setup nor boot into a GUI. I did a logged boot then diagnosed the log in Win XP (the machine is dual boot) and the vga driver failed to load along with a few other things. I have a BFG NVidia based 7900 GS OC video card . I have also tried an ATI HD 2400. Both are PCIe 1.0. Windows 7 works great using the ATI based card, but using the NVidia based card I get nothing but the Starting Windows screen, then blankness..I still get HDD activity though. I tried a brand new PNY NVidia based 9800 GT with the same results, but a brand new Diamond ATI based HD 4670 works great. I even loaded it onto a machine with Intel integrated 845GV video and it works fine. I put an NVidia based card into that machine..blank screen right after the Starting Windows screen but no problem with the ATI card.  

    Friday, January 23, 2009 3:00 AM

Answers

  • You have to finish setup in LOW RESOLUTION Mode, than before you shut down the PC again, go to Windows Update and the OPTIONAL updates. Nvidia- Win 7 updates are there.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Hifi1969 said:

     When Windows 7 tries to boot into the OS, I get a screen that says Starting Windows then my display goes blank and my monitor shuts off and never seems to actually finish the setup nor boot into a GUI.


    I have "Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT" and The problem of the screen goes blank happen to me with "Windows 7" Build 6956. I solved it by turning off the monitor before this part of setup that the monitor blank on it then turn it on after a few minutes (after it pass the blank part) and the monitor works.
    • Proposed as answer by Ma7amed Friday, January 23, 2009 7:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T JrModerator Sunday, January 25, 2009 8:14 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:31 AM

All replies

  • i have a XFX 9800 GTX+ and everything has gone quite smooth
    Friday, January 23, 2009 3:23 AM
  • Are you by any chance using the DVI or HDMI outputs of the cards rather than the basic VGA connection? As this has been proved in a few cases in the hardware forums to be the cause and issue of a black screen at boot up.

    Cause - can be(not always) Trying to boot with card connected to LCD with DVI or HDMI

    Solution - (in some cases) connect via VGA cable instead.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 3:46 AM
  • I do not have any issue to using Winfast 9800 GTX+ and connected monitor by DVI with Windows 7 (32bits). Windows 7 is downloaded Vvideo driver (Different version for VISTA<32bits> nor Win XP<32bits>) automaticaly at WIndows 7 installation time.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:11 AM
  • Hifi1969 said:

     When Windows 7 tries to boot into the OS, I get a screen that says Starting Windows then my display goes blank and my monitor shuts off and never seems to actually finish the setup nor boot into a GUI.


    I have "Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT" and The problem of the screen goes blank happen to me with "Windows 7" Build 6956. I solved it by turning off the monitor before this part of setup that the monitor blank on it then turn it on after a few minutes (after it pass the blank part) and the monitor works.
    • Proposed as answer by Ma7amed Friday, January 23, 2009 7:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T JrModerator Sunday, January 25, 2009 8:14 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:31 AM
  • You have to finish setup in LOW RESOLUTION Mode, than before you shut down the PC again, go to Windows Update and the OPTIONAL updates. Nvidia- Win 7 updates are there.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:47 AM
  • I am unsure how to fix your problem. However I have a GTX280 and it runs fine. I have installed Windows 7 twice on the machine without a hitch each time.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 12:47 PM
  • Same Problem

    NVidia Geforce 8300GS
    Screen Will Blank Out Just after Initial Setup and Remain Blacked Out If Use DVI Port had to use VGA Port

    Friday, January 23, 2009 3:17 PM
  • In that case, thank god mine worked, my gfx card doesn't even have a VGA port.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 3:28 PM
  • I have a 8800GS and everything worked fine under beta 7000.  Oddly enough, I installed the nvidia driver and my WEI didn't change.  Still a 7.6 for aero and 5.7 for gaming.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:05 AM
  • This problem is because Vista and Windows 7 select the wrong monitor as primary. Usually this problem occurs when there's an extra monitor or TV connected to your PC. The solution is to turn on the TV and try to change the primary screen there. Another solution is to install Windows 7 without any extra monitors but your main one.

    There's more information on my blog if you want it :)
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:50 AM
  • I have an eVGA Nvidia 6800 SE CO with an HP 17" connected to the VGA port and a Samsung 22" connected to the DVI port.

    No problems.

    Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:56 AM
  •   I have a Nvidia gtx280 and no problems either with installing or running Win7 with the card. If you've not already done so, check for an update for your system bios as the first step. The next step would be to conect with a simple vga adaptor instead of dvi or hdmi if, in fact, you are currently using one of those two types of connection. Really, at this point, and based on the information you gave, I suspect some wierd hardware bug with the motherboard and Win7. (Chipset issue perhaps?) What is the make/model of your system and which mobo is in there?
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:02 PM
  • ASUS nVidia 8600GT Silent here, no problems booting, but every once in a while I have video issues... nVidia does not seem to be creating BETA drivers via the normal method, just what comes from Windows Update.

    I also have an ASUS P5N-T Deluxe Motherboard with nVidia 780i chipset, no drivers from nVidia... I'm looking forward to some drivers from nVidia, because I expect to see a significant performance increase.

    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Just to throw in 7 series GPU, got 2 eVGA 7800GT's and they installed and work beautifully with multi-monitor setup.
    • Edited by Luna Tick Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:19 AM Typo
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Hifi1969 said:

    Is there an issue with Windows 7 and NVidia based video cards? I can never actually get it to fully boot into the OS and get a GUI using two different NVidia card except in Safe Mode..then I get a message saying Setup could not finish in Safe Mode Please Restart in Normal Mode...I do this and it never boots fully. When Windows 7 tries to boot into the OS, I get a screen that says Starting Windows then my display goes blank and my monitor shuts off and never seems to actually finish the setup nor boot into a GUI. I did a logged boot then diagnosed the log in Win XP (the machine is dual boot) and the vga driver failed to load along with a few other things. I have a BFG NVidia based 7900 GS OC video card . I have also tried an ATI HD 2400. Both are PCIe 1.0. Windows 7 works great using the ATI based card, but using the NVidia based card I get nothing but the Starting Windows screen, then blankness..I still get HDD activity though. I tried a brand new PNY NVidia based 9800 GT with the same results, but a brand new Diamond ATI based HD 4670 works great. I even loaded it onto a machine with Intel integrated 845GV video and it works fine. I put an NVidia based card into that machine..blank screen right after the Starting Windows screen but no problem with the ATI card.  



    Hi

    I suppose this happen only on monitors connected via analog input.

    Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:15 AM
  • I had this issue and found how to resolve it. It is because of the driver windows 7 uses. Remove your graphics card to get through install. I had onboard graphics, so I used another MOBO to install. You can also install using another GPU. After installation is complete, boot in safe mode, go to device manager, and disable your nVidia card. Then boot normally and find any Vista driver, install it and it works great again!

     

    The Windows 7 update from Windows 7 is a driver from nVidia for windows 7, but the Vista driver works better.

    • Proposed as answer by Angel Demirev Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:37 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:37 AM
  • I tested wtih 2 different nvidia cards with out any issues.

    ALso the latest drivers from Nvidia's site support windows 7, so get the laster Forceware drivers so you have full features adn panel access. DOwnload the Vista drivers but on isntall it will say it is installing WIndows 7 Nvidia Display Drivers and control Panel.

     

    Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:38 PM
  • I have two 9600 GT 512 and they both work perfectly, even in SLI. What version of windows are you running this on 32 or 64? I never had to switch to VGA for the install. My card was hooked up with DVI all the way through the install and it went without a hitch.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:12 PM
  • William Cabrera said:

    I have two 9600 GT 512 and they both work perfectly, even in SLI. ...


    I also have 2 9800 GT 512MB Nvidia cards w/SLI and 2 monitors, primary HDMI via a DVI to HDMI Cable and the other analog VGA.  64 bit Win7 Installed fine.

     

    One quirk, when I ran Windows Update and selected the optional Nvidia Driver it failed to install with an error code indicating the one I had installed was newer.

     

    How do you tell if SLI is actually working?  DXDIAG and the Nvidia console both list the adapters separately even though they are connected with the SLI connector.  How do I tell if both are being used?


    Friday, January 30, 2009 3:32 AM