none
Stuck on "Select drivers to be installed" page

Question

• After working through tons of other problems with help I got to the "Select drivers to be installed" page then got stuck. At first it tells me that I need the drivers for a DVD/CD drive. Following the advice of some people online I unpluged all unecessary devices including the CD drive. I put all the drivers I could think of including a video card driver, a few drivers for a MSI motherboard, firmware for my DVD drive because the maker doesn't provide any, and a USB wireless adapter on a flash drive because for some reason I don't think my computer is reading the DVD's and CD's I try to use. When I try to install the drivers my computer gives me the message "No device drivers were found" and that I need to check the installation media and make sure it contains the correct driver. Though I was able to install a few drivers none of them had any effect and I am still stuck at the "Select drivers to be installed" page. My computer has a MSI K9A2 Platnium mother board, a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, a PNY GeForce8500GT DDR2 512Mb PCIe, and the hard drive is a seagate 500GB, a GH22NP20 DVD drive, and a floppy drive and CD drive I disconnected for the installation of Windows 7. Also my computer is running Windows XP professional.
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:48 PM

Answers

• Well, here we are less than 24 hours from my last post.

First of all this is a dead thread.  In other words there is a box showing the most popular threads, and this topic is listed twice out of four!   So do not expect any replies to this thread!

So after looking at those 2 popular threads, I concocted a plan of action.

I was far from optimistic but I tried it anyway and guess what?  It succeeded!!!

What did I do?  I read about faulty downloads and faulty dvd burns. 

In my case I had previously successfully downloaded the approx 2.4 Gig ISO file to my USB drive, at the seventh attempt!!

I still had the ISO file on my USB drive, so I figured what the heck, lets burn another DVD.

I did this at the slowest speed   1X  as suggested by Forum inputs, although I had previously burnt at the fastest with no problems in as much as I had successfully installed from the DVD TWICE!!

So in it goes to the DVD-ROM in my other computer and as expected boots up and proceeds.  But when it got to install now and SETUP it eventually successfully crossed the previous hazard of  "need driver for dvd/cd drive"  in as much as the next screen to appear was to OK license terms for installation.  I did have to find and click on FORMAT (to NTFS) for it to proceed but I knew I had won at that point!!  It did complete as expected and I have my Windows 7 again.

Here is what I think.  Because on the 2 times it successfully installed, I had existing OS's installed on the Hard Drive, whereas on the failure it was a blank but formatted disk, I was expecting to fail as the disk was still blank.

But I was clearly wrong on this as the newly burnt  DVD sailed right through.

So my conclusion is that the first DVD somehow became corrupted.  I am only a novice so what do I know.
    But I have to believe that all of the pyrotechnics produced in the numerous failed attempts somehow magnetically spooked the DVD.  Either that or there is some failure code that marked this particular DVD.

I am sure the TECHNET Pros's know all the answers and hopefully this may even expand the knowledge of some MVP's.

Brian Peck.

Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:59 AM

All replies

• I am also stuck at the same point as you. "Supply Driver for CD/DVD drive" for which SONY says they do not have them, it is plug and play. I changed a BIOS setting from "let BIOS choose to Let OS choose" but it made no difference.

As a heads-up to the Technet Pro's, this is how I got to this point.

I downloaded the OS and burned via ISO to DVD-ROM. All was good as I was able to boot/install to the (by choice) D drive, and enjoyed the OS for a few days.  Then my second-hand C drive OS, Windows 2000 Pro, (which has never been right,  it came with the PC, an Intel Deskboard  #865) finally frustrated me to the point that I did a C Format with the intention of a temporary XP installation in its place. The XP idea failed, but I did manage to FIXMBR from the XP CD and was able to successfully install Windows 7 on my C drive. Next I deleted Windows 7 on the D drive. Incidentally, I was not supplied with a Win2k CD, so that OS is toast.  Also this computer has a DVDROM drive but no floppy, so I have been busy converting floppy materials to CD disks. This by way of my 2000 HP PAV computer with the ME OS (OEM). (I had in 2001 purchased Windows XP at retail and had used it for years.  Unhappily, after about 7 reinstalls, all from the same room in  my house, Microsoft informed me that my XP license was no longer valid.  I had apparently exhausted my quota.  When necessary I had attempted the 30 days/then validate option.

As Senator Mondale famously said in 1984, "Where's the Beef?"  Well here it is.

Because of the fans continuing to run with the "standby" option, I discovered that with "hibernate" the fans stopped.
    So hibernate was my preferred option during the day.   With Windows 7 there is a new look to the shutoff option.  Now there is a horizontal arrow key, with the default option as "shutoff".  What did I do?  In the Power Options /Control Panel, I  made Hibernate the default  instead of Shutoff.   Shutoff being accessible from the horizontal arrow.   So far so good.

In comes my WIFE.  I encouraged her to use the Windows 7 OS on the OTHER computer to see how smooth it was.
    She did try the internet and had a great time. She was very impressed!  One HUGE problem!  I was on the golf course and unavailable for consultation.  Blowed if she could not find the SHUTOFF option and had to settle for Hibernate.  As per our custom when we are both gone for most of the day, we turn off the POWER!!!  That is what she did!

You know the rest.  Bottom line.  The Repair Tool did NOT identify the problem.  I tried and tried and it got worse. To the point where I decide to Format the C drive.  I would have loved to have FDISK available, but was unable to make a bootable CD from the ME bootable floppy.  I used HD SHREDDER to clean the drive.  Partition Magic said the MBR was BAD.  I used HD Shredder again.  This time Partition Magic made partitions, but the Windows7 DVD did not buy it.  I then tried Ontrack Disk Manager with it's MBR option.  Everything looked good except to Windows7.

This was my last shot.  I wanted the FDISK option, so I did the scary thing, for me.  I physically transferred my Maxtor 40GB HD into my HP computer (which has the FLOPPY drive), temporarily removing my existing HD to make room for the new Master.  Obtaining a DOS prompt from my ME Boot Floppy, I first entered FDISK /MBR on the assumption that the 3rd party programs had messed up the MBR.  Then I proceeded to partition and format the disk with FDISK.  As a precaution I finished with the command FDISK /MBR to ensure that i had a good MBR.

After reinstalling the Hard drives on both Computers and getting our HP system kicking right in, the question was did we solve the problem for the Windows 7 hard drive/MBR issues.  To my relief the answer was yes.  The Windows 7 Release Candidate DVD booted just fine and was as expected until the CD/DVD driver requirement screen about 15 mins into the installation.

So where do we go from here.

As the second person to experience this DVD/driver requirement issue, clearly this has to be addressed.

I trust that you will make the corrections

Brian Peck

• Proposed as answer by brianpeck Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:04 AM
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 8:13 AM
  • Well, here we are less than 24 hours from my last post.

First of all this is a dead thread.  In other words there is a box showing the most popular threads, and this topic is listed twice out of four!   So do not expect any replies to this thread!

So after looking at those 2 popular threads, I concocted a plan of action.

I was far from optimistic but I tried it anyway and guess what?  It succeeded!!!

What did I do?  I read about faulty downloads and faulty dvd burns. 

In my case I had previously successfully downloaded the approx 2.4 Gig ISO file to my USB drive, at the seventh attempt!!

I still had the ISO file on my USB drive, so I figured what the heck, lets burn another DVD.

I did this at the slowest speed   1X  as suggested by Forum inputs, although I had previously burnt at the fastest with no problems in as much as I had successfully installed from the DVD TWICE!!

So in it goes to the DVD-ROM in my other computer and as expected boots up and proceeds.  But when it got to install now and SETUP it eventually successfully crossed the previous hazard of  "need driver for dvd/cd drive"  in as much as the next screen to appear was to OK license terms for installation.  I did have to find and click on FORMAT (to NTFS) for it to proceed but I knew I had won at that point!!  It did complete as expected and I have my Windows 7 again.

Here is what I think.  Because on the 2 times it successfully installed, I had existing OS's installed on the Hard Drive, whereas on the failure it was a blank but formatted disk, I was expecting to fail as the disk was still blank.

But I was clearly wrong on this as the newly burnt  DVD sailed right through.

So my conclusion is that the first DVD somehow became corrupted.  I am only a novice so what do I know.
    But I have to believe that all of the pyrotechnics produced in the numerous failed attempts somehow magnetically spooked the DVD.  Either that or there is some failure code that marked this particular DVD.

I am sure the TECHNET Pros's know all the answers and hopefully this may even expand the knowledge of some MVP's.

Brian Peck.

Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:59 AM
  • Every time I try to burn the ISO image a the slowest speed possible my computer will pause for a moment during the boot up where there is supposed to be a message saying hit any button to boot from DVD but instead of the message there will just be an under score that blinks the under score may move down a line or to and then eventually this will continue for a moment and then the computer will continue on to windows XP like the Windows 7 DVD isn't even there.
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Burning your iso image does not appear to me to be related to the rest of your post.

Assuming that you have a burnt DVD containing the windows7 download, placed in your DVD drive, it seems that your System  is not recognizing your bootable DVD. 

In your earlier post you had detailed some extensive hardware changes and I am suggesting that your DVD drive is not being recognized for some reason.

Check to see that the CD/DVD drive boots first in your Boot Preferences in your BIOS.

Good  Luck.    brian peck.
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Have not heard back from Xavier, so I assume he has given up.

brian peck.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:35 AM
  • I had already set the System BIOS to boot to the CD/DVD, and I was refering to one of your early your post where you burned the DVD at the 1x speed and got better results.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Hi Xavier,

With your system set to boot the CD/DVD drive first, I assume that your bootable DVD is being recognized.

If this is the case is your hangup at the "need CD/DVD drivers" screen?

In my case I overcame it by burning a fresh DVD from my original iso. file download, which I had kept

on my USB flash drive.  But remember my first burnt DVD had been successfully installed TWICE, before failing

on a third try.  That original burn was done at max speed with no problems.

Your case differs somewhat in as much you have not yet achieved a successful install.

Whether your download was bad I don't know.  In my case it took 7 attempts to complete a successful download.

The previous 6 would stall out and not resume.  On the 7th attempt it stalled several times but then resumed after

a couple of minutes.  Instead of overnight, I started at 2.30pm and finished about 6 hours later.

I stayed right at the computer and watched it like a hawk.  Also I always turn off screen saver and never open any other

programs during this process.

Hope this helps.

Brian Peck.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Hi Xavier,

Did you ever get RC Candidate Windows 7 installed?

I decided to download the 64 bit version (done that), in addition to my existing 32 bit, which is working well.

I will burn the iso file and see what the ramifications are, of combining  32 and 64 bit systems.

I have a couple of extra hard drives and 3 computers so I can play around with different installations, see what works

and see what doesn't.  First is to find out if my download and burn produces a "good" DVD.

Brian Peck.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:08 AM
  • At this point I am really asking for help from anybody as to what the limitations are re: 64 bit vs. 32 bit.

Can somebody explain how, combining both 64/32 bit, affects Hard Drives, Partitions, existing 32 bit programs etc.

In Windows 7 (32bit), I see where Program Files has a (x86) option where most everything is being installed.  Am I correct in

assuming that these are all "OLD"  applications that are directed to (x86)?

In Windows 7, the other "Program Files" I believe to be (x64) although not shown, I assume are reserved for 64 bit programs. 

Any help in educating me on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You, Brian Peck.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:19 AM
  • I  have also same problem . I was stuck  at  windows  extend  step (2nd step). Please help me .    I am doing clean  install . Do I need to format disk?. I have  XP  professional  on my Laptop.I am not getting  any errors.

Thanks,
    monavarty
    Monavarty
    Monavarty
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:38 PM
  • I would say that you need a separate partition in order to avoid overwriting your existing Operating System.

Windows 7 will ask permission to make an NTFS file system if you have something else.

It is unclear to me what your errors are and what are specifically trying to do.

Brian Peck.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 5:33 AM
  • I gave up on windows 7 for awhile but with the realization that Windows xp will soon be obselete I decided to try installing it again. I found out that I made a mistake and put in two different speeds of RAM. So after removing 2GBs of RAM I am now down to 4GBs. After discovering this and trying to install windows 7 I found out that some parts of the installation went by much faster but other parts have gone by just as slow as before when I first tried to install Windows 7. But when I got to the install drivers screen I  became stuck again, I downloaded drivers for the motherboard, and graphics card( On the microsoft website I downloaded a program which told me that the graphics card needed to be updated). But when I put them on my USB drive the computer would recognize everything on it except for the drivers, and when I burned the drivers to a CD-RW and put them in the DVD drive it took forever and all I got was a pop box that told me that the CD/DVD was corrupted. I am wondering if this is the result of a need for a driver for the DVD drive. Any help would be apprecitated. Also I am still using the RC version due to the fact that I want to make sure windows 7 will work on my desktop before I go out and buy the real version. 
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:23 PM
  • I rarely check my Hotmail account, but just did so and saw your message.  It has been 5 months so you don't give up easily!!

Basically, the issues you mention are totally above my level of expertise.

I will offer the following. 

First of all, I believe I am accurate in saying that Windows XP will be supported for several years to come, probably until the end of this next decade.

Second, It appears to me that your existing hardware probably is not good enough to warrant upgrading to Windows 7.

Any computer sold prior to the issuance of Windows Vista should not be upgraded, in my opinion.

My luck has been somewhat better than yours.  Having decided to buy all new equipment ( my year 2000 HP Desktop just does

not cut it), on October 18th, 4 days before the Official Release date, I found my requirements met on the Costco website.

I purchased a Windows 7 Professional machine (with Virtual Windows XP compatibility) made by ZT Group in New Jersey.

It cost me the princely sum of $649 plus tax, and I am thrilled with my purchase decision as I need the XP Operating System for

my Earthlink e-mail program.  I was especially pleased because I did not expect this offer to last very long. Sure enough it was

pulled within 2 weeks.  If you go to the ZT website and build your own, it costs $950 for the same package that I have.

Widows 7 Prof. is considered to be for use in a business environment, so Costco currently is offering ZT computers that feature

ONLY Windows XP Professional for business customers, that is why I think XP goes for 10 more years.

My other computer, Intel Deskboard all-in-one is still running Windows 7 RC candidate and of course I am able to network the 2

computers through my Router for troubleshooting etc.  As you know, Microsoft will be squeezing us from RC beginning in

March, so I am looking at a Linux OS to install on the Deskboard in the next couple months.

Basically I am one Happy Camper!

In your case I think your options are as follows :

Stick with Windows XP for the next decade, or go for Windows 7 with all new hardware components, i,e, a brand new

computer. My choice would be the latter.

Hope this helps,   Brian Peck.

Friday, January 01, 2010 6:36 AM
  • I finally installed Windows 7. I was wondering if there was a way around having to use the DVD drive. So while searching on the web I came up with the idea of using a bootable USB drive to eliminate having to use the DVD drive. After searching for forever on the web and going through trial and error with many free programs I found a trial version of UltraISO. After it created the bootable USB drive I turned off the computer plugged in the Seagate 500GB hard drive and unplugged all of the DVD,CD, and Floppy drives. It installed in about an hour. Now the only problem I have is the DVD, and CD drives. They take forever to read a disc and are pretty much unresponsive, but I guess that is a topic for another forum.   
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Just wanted to add on that after I went out and bought a SATA DVD drive and plugged it into my computer it started to read disc much faster and I was able to install the program that came with the drive and Microsoft office 2007. So the problem was with the DVD drive using IDE. 

Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Yo,

I was having a similar issue and I thought I'd post my solution.

I recently bought a new mini itx motherboard from intel (express series), lga 775. I tried a 90nm processor in it and it didn't work as expected because the board only supports 45nm lga 775 chips. Got a new chip, plugged it in, tried to boot, windows 7 won't boot. figures as much cause of the change in mobo and processor. So, i have to reinstall. Decide that, I should install windows 8 (dumb idea). realize shortly thereafter that the windows 8 key i have is only for upgrades, I must install win 7 first. pop in dvd for win 7 pro. get funky "Select drivers to be installed" issue. try downloading ISO and using "Windows 7 usb dvd tool" (for making a usb drive a boot disk). doesn't seem to do the trick, still getting issue when booting with USB image of win 7 pro. I finally realize that it's having trouble figuring out which drivers to use because of the existing bogus windows 8 install mentioned earlier. I go back to the beginning of the setup, go to restore options, fanagle my way till i get to the command prompt. run command "FORMAT [drive letter of bogus install] /FS:NTFS /L:WIN7 /Q". Hit "y" to complete format command. "Exit", ESC, Restart, boot to USB (DVD would probably work now too),  Click "install now" and it prompts me to accept the license agreement.

That's it. Sorry if you can't read my lazy english.

• Proposed as answer by ReySwoo Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:16 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:08 AM