none
Windows 7 Startup and Freezing Issues

General discussion

• Affter installation (upgrade) of Windows 7, I encounter the following issues:

• Upon boot, the system will hang at the Starting Windows  screen.  On hard reboot, I am asked if I want to enter the Startup Repair or Boot Normally.  Startup Repair does not alleviate the problem.  On occasion, it will boot into Windows 7.  then, the second issue occurs.
    • When it does occasionally boot into Windows 7, it isn't long before the entire system hangs, and a hard reboot is necessary, leading to the issue above.

This occurs no matter what peripherals are attached at the time of boot - all, partial, or none.

How can these issues be rectified?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like you're running into the same problem I had when I attempted to install the chipset drivers for my Nvidia 650i SLI motherboard. Granted, I did a clean installation of the os on a second partition, so there were no pre-existing driver conflicts to worry about. If you can get the system to remain stable long enough and have enough drive space available, try creating a partition specifically for Win7, then reboot and install to that partition. If the system boots up and works w/o problems in a 'clean' state you at least have something to go on in terms of where to begin PD on the partition where you chose to do the upgrade.

In previous versions of Windows, we used to just go in and disable all startup items via msconfig (Usually in safemode.)  and then boot. If it worked, you went back into msconfig and began re-enabling things one by one until you found the source of the problem. That may work as well but I'd still try creating the second partition for a clean install.

-jay

Friday, January 30, 2009 6:41 PM
  • I have the EXACT same problem (freezing at startup), except I have not yet run into the 2nd problem.....

System is Intel Q6600 on an Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi, 4GB ram..

Oh and it was a PITA trying to get my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse (Microsoft brand would you believe) to work after installing. Great.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 11:37 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem, the system will boot to the black-screen-before-desktop-background and the mouse will work. At this point the system will stop loading data from the hard drive though the system will not actually freeze. Occasionally the windows 'thinking' cursor appears with the rotating blue circle, for a split second, reverting to the standard cursor. Sometimes it boots to the default windows background with text in the bottom right reading "Windows 7, For testing purposes only. Build 7000." System repair is very very slow processing commands, after clicking on the "select a keyboard layout" button, login button or "Startup Repair" button the button remains depressed for 30-60 seconds before unpressing and beginning the process. Startup Repair does not activate my hard drive at all and appears broken. System restore is enabled but there are no system restore points available, though it is possible I didn't make any. Doesn't enabling system restore create a restore point? I'm surprised the list is completely empty..
    Booting from DVD only goes through the normal boot process of having no dvd installed; unlike in other windows operating systems when booting with a dvd or cd in the drive will go to a completely different system of events. It doesn't allow any sort of "reinstall windows from dvd" option and assumes everything is OK, which it is not..
    Anyone have any idea what to do? I'm out of ideas short of reformatting. Surely MS created some less destructive and time intensive method of solving this type of problem..
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 5:37 AM
  • same problem, but go into services.msc and check eventlog service. if stopped reinstall go to services.msc right-click on it go to properties go to recovery tab click on Subsequent failures and check restart the service. if not helping put pc in cool room(aircon) and test it. if no freezing u have a overheating problem.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:19 PM
  • what if you can't get into windows 7 and have to use a different OS such as xp:
    http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1121/84315348.jpg
    apparently there are no options to change in the event log / recovery tab.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 3:34 AM
  • put pc in cool room, wait 5 minutes and turn on. then do the above. you have to do it in w7 (different os!)
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:06 AM
  • if that doesnt work reinstall w7 and then do it. i had to reinstall first
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:08 AM
  • your image, is pointless. looking for w7 services.msc will just open xp services.msc because they are similar. you have to do it in w7 because they use different versions of svchost.exe, the local service host and opening 7 services.msc will just open xp services.msc and edit xp svchost.exe and not 7 svchost.exe. how many of u dual-booted 7 with xp.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:15 AM
    • Edited by RossWiM Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:44 AM
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:41 AM
  • I would recommend you do a clean install. Format the partition you are going to use and then is install Win 7. This problem happens allot when try to upgrade using a BETA OS.

EDIT: ECBender could you let us know the steps you have taken already, so we don't go over the same things again.

Microsoft Registered Partner.ID 2251556 Windows 7. One of the better betas!
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Very good. I am dual-booting as I said.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:34 PM
  • I would recommend you do a clean install. Format the partition you are going to use and then is install Win 7. This problem happens allot when try to upgrade using a BETA OS.

EDIT: ECBender could you let us know the steps you have taken already, so we don't go over the same things again.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:06 PM

• ECBender,

I am curious if you are using more than 2gb ram.

If you use multiple sticks of ram, have you tried adjusting or removing their position in DIMM slots?
    How about adjusting the voltages?

I've come to determine the amount of memory used is the source for my own similar problem but have not yet found a solution. 

There are a very large number of people with this issue, indicative by searching Google for 4gb, 64 and slow. Many hits are from multi-post threads in which the first post contained information such as their 64bit OS and stated it was very slow and/or frequently crashed, and then several posts later, usually after being asked what their hardware setup was, they would mention their hardware was equipped with 3gb, 4gb, 6gb or occasionally 8gb ram. Due to the scattered presentation of the information many people have not put A and B together to figure out that RAM is a common denominator in many similar cases. Some who did removed one or more sticks of ram to resolve their problem.  Usually these people mention each stick works individually, but no combination of ram works over a threshold. As is the case with my own ram, either 2gb stick will install windows 7-64 properly but when both are plugged in the installer behaves like molasses, yet XP works without skipping a beat. Yes, my motherboard supports 4gb (up to 8gb, actually) and yes it is recieving the proper voltage. Otherwise, it would not work in XP.

Has anyone else with similar results? Any workarounds such as new builds or BIOS updates? Unfortunately most people don't mention what BIOS they are using when describing their OS boot speed or crash problems, so information on this topic is somewhat hard to find on search engines.

To anyone else wishing to cross reference data, I am using:
    Core 2 Duo 6600
    MSI P6N-SLI (nVidia 650i chipset)
    Corsair Twin2x4096-6400c5 2x2GB 800Mhz DIMMs

RossWiM and Romulinx2.1,
    Thank you for your assistance, while I was unable to check the eventlog and even though the pc was not overheating your help is appreciated. I ended up reformatting and reinstalling anyway.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 9:49 AM
  • I have the same problem. Been running Win7 64 bit, 3x1GB RAM for 2 months. Now I have bought extra RAM for my PC. I removed 1GB and added 2x2GB. So now I am running 6GB RAM. When I started the PC, Windows7 rebooted at the Starting Windows Screen. Then I noticed in the BIOS POST, that the mainboard didn't recognize all that RAM, so I hade to change something in the BIOS that I was running more memory for 64bit OS. Now my Mainboard sees all the 6GB RAM, but Win7 keeps rebooting at the Starting Windows Screen or freezes. At startup I get the choice to start win7 normally or run the startup and repair. I didn't try the repair.
    I removed the new memory, and left the BIOS with the changes I made, and now Win7 starts normally.

I didn't try to place only 4GB... Will try that...

Does anyone have a solution or do I need to do a fresh install with the 6GB already in place?

Thx
    Kevin

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, Intel 975X
    Core 2 3,2 Gz
    Corsair 3x1GB or 2x1GB + 2x2GB
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem too. Had been running fine with 3 x 1GB RAM with Windows 7 and recently, I bought another 1GB RAM and insert it into my mainboard. Upon boot up, the bios is able to detect all the 4GB RAM and memory test is ok. However, when I try to start up windows 7, it will sort of hang / freezes after the windows startup logo with a black screen before the blue screen comes and the whole system restart again. Tried repairing the windows but to no avail. Finally, I remove the additional 1GB RAM and windows 7 start normally. Even if I took out one 1GB RAM and replace it with the new one that I bought ( Total still 3GB RAM), Windows 7  is still able to start.

Any one have any solution here? Or do I need to do a fresh install with all the 4GB in place also?

Thanks

Eadric.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Similar problem.

I rebuilt my HP Pavillion laptop when the hard disk failed and set up a dual boot - Win XP / Office 2007 and Win 7 / Office 2010 beta. 

Everything worked fine, but I decided to upgrade the RAM from 2x512k to 2x1gb and the PC booted fine.

I then immediately installed some software for a monitor calibration unit which required a reboot. Since then Win 7 freezes on the 'Starting Windows" screen, requiring a hard reset.

I checked that the Ram was recognised in the BIOS and ran the Boot Memory check and all seems OK.

I have managed to start in safe mode and XP runs perfectly.

Any |Ideas

Friday, April 09, 2010 1:02 PM
  • Well, it is nice to see that I am not the only one having a problem with Windows 7 starting up. I took the opportunity to upgrade my motherboard and OS last week. Went from an old Pentium 4 and Win XP Pro to an MSI KA790GX with an AMD Phenom II 950 quad processor. The RAM is older (just took what I had from the old motherboard), but it is recognized by the BIOS (all 4 gig) and by Windows (3 gig). The hard drive for the OS is new so it was a clean install of Win 7 Pro. The graphics card is a GeForce 9500GT.

After installing Windows, I went out and downloaded all the latest Win 7 drivers for the motherboard and graphics card and installed them.

First couple of days, there were no problems. Windows would boot up in around a minute and a half (comparable to my Win XP times). Now it is taking in excess of ten (that is 10) minutes to boot up. 95% of that time sitting with the Windows logo and 'Windows starting up' staring back at me.

The only thing I can think of that may have caused this problem is attach an external USB drive to copy some files to a new NAS I'm using instead of the USB drives. I did the 'remove hardware' and was told I could safely remove the hardware.

Since then, the Win 7 is taking nearly five minutes to shutdown and over ten to start up (I repeat myself, sorry).

I did some other research on this and one user on another forum suggested (to another post, not mine) it might be a hardware problem where Win 7 isn't recognizing some attached hardware.

I have three concerns with that approach. First, the hardware I do have or have had attached to this build is the same I had attached to my XP machine with no issues. Secondly, some of the hardware I do have 'attached' is not powered on unless I need it (e.g., my USB all in one printer/fax/scanner, I have a network printer) so why would they slow the process up.  Lastly, I would like to think that Win 7 would perform at least equally as well as XP in this regard. Though I will admit I do not like the 'new' searching for drivers every time I connect a USB device (let's hear it for Win 98 SE).

So hopefully the development people are reading these concerns/problems and will eventually take some action to correct them. After all, Win 7 was designed by the US (and I said that with a nearly straight face).

Friday, July 09, 2010 11:56 AM
  • If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience the same behavior? What about if you do a clean boot, or device clean boot?

Are you running the latest BIOS and drivers for your system?

Perhaps. give Andre's guide a shot, here.  Then ZIP the .etl trace and upload it to your SkyDrive and post a link.
    Friday, July 09, 2010 1:13 PM
  • No.Compromise.

I am running the latest drivers (unless they were updated in the past week) for all my hardware.

I've done the clean boot and without going into lots of gory details we'll just say that over the past 3.5 hours I still have the same problem. It takes anywhere from 5 to 25 minutes for Win 7 to boot up.

I've gone to safe mode and it will boot up in under five minutes, but that is still (IMHO) way too long.

I've done the boot log to see what ISN"T loading. First time the list was a mile long then I remembered I hadn't reset everything back to 'boot normally'. Now there are 4 drivers that show as not loaded.

srv.sys, pasport.sys, vga.sys, and NDProxy.sys (showing loaded once and not loaded on the next three lines). I'm researching those to see what they have to say.The vga seems to be acceptable, not sure about the others.

Right now I am running the 'repair computer' from the windows advance start up options. Maybe that will do some good, but the way this is going, I am not holding my breath.

If I don't get this working, then I'm going to revert back to XP Pro SP3. I just don't have the time to spend trying to get Win7 working when I can go back to XP and know it will boot up.

Judging from the number of comments on the slow booting time for Win 7, maybe Microsoft will invest some time into finding the problem.

Thanks for the response and the pointers.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Its RAM.

Been battling this problem for days, read this thread, removed a stick of RAM and taaa daaa, no freeze hang orv latency.

Investigating further.

System; Asus P5Q SE, Intel Q9450, 2 X 2 GB of OCZ Reaper RAM (now 1x 2GB), Windows 7 64bit.

Monday, July 26, 2010 8:11 AM
  • On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 06:39:01 +0000, Keron Chew wrote:

Slow problem is a common event for Windows user. Microsoft claimed that:"No matter how fast or shiny computers might be when they're new, they all seem to get slower over time."

You post this same misleading reply to many different messages. See
    the reply I've already made, and just repeated for you.

Ken Blake
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:51 AM
  • Same problem for me -- Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) runs fine when I limit the RAM to 4 GB but freezes at the "starting windows" screen if I try to increase RAM.

I have 4 RAM slots and 4 identical 2 GB ram cards (8 GB RAM total). Doesn't matter how I mix and match or what slots I put them in -- any two

cards (4 GB total) put in any two slots everything works fine, but when I add one or two more RAM cards (i.e., try to increase to 6 GB or 8 GB RAM) and it

freezes. I take out any two RAM cards (doesn't matter which) so it drops to 4 GB total and it works fine again.

Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Saturday, August 07, 2010 5:29 PM
  • I want to thank all of you for Your help.

I have Windows 7 x64 and It was freezing on the boot sequence. I installed driver 260.99 from the XFX website and the problem occured when playing StarCraft 2. Game Froze, reboot was the only solution, then no boot past the windows splash screen. Going to nVidia's site and downloading Win7x64 Driver v266.58 and the nForce Driver (not installing forceware) for the motherboard has repaired the issure (at least for now). Hopefully my additional info will lead to a fix, We'll see

Asus M2N32-SLi Deluxe Wireless Edition Motherboard

AMD Phenom 9950 Black edition processor

4GB Ram (Corsair)

2x XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Graphics cards in SLi

All running on Windows 7 x64

ALL games played with the exception of "Supreme Commander 2" / "Battlefield Bad Company 2" have shown severe performance issues

Hope this helps someone.

Saturday, February 05, 2011 2:11 AM
  • mate i am having the exact same problem with my computer but i have 4 of them they wer all running windows xp and dident have much age difference and this one was the newist and it was an optima (compleatly rubbish) i installed windows 7 of all and dident have eny problems with the others wich i had as gaming computers and with this one it was only for school work but i as i said am having the same problem it occourd yesterday and the only thing i can think of to save eny sort of personal files like pictures is to take out the hdd and put it into a dock i bought off ebay and am waiting to arive so when i plug it in to my other computer i can see all the files on it (hopeing that the drive dident get flashed and lose all daita) then wipeing it on my other computer and puting it back into my optima and instalking windose 7 again unfortunetly safemode is dissabled and so is system restore so i hope this helped and i share your pain
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:02 AM
  • I had much the same problem, the red dot of death freeze!

I tried everything to get the OS to boot, no joy whatsoever.

Even apps like Active Boot CD refused to load, freezing at starting windows,

and likewise when attempting a clean install, that too froze at starting.

Finally, I removed all USB devices and disabled same in the bios,

problem solved, I could install and reboot when finished.

I enabled all USB devices in the bios and reinstalled same, to date

there has been no sign of the red dot of death, but clearly there is an

issue that needs urgent attention by Microsoft.

Michael.

Friday, April 22, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Also try looking in to the Display drivers, that certainly helped me!
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:12 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem with Windows freezing on the Windows Logo. I can usually get the system to boot if  I play around with it for a while. I think its a driver graphics driver issue. Windows 7 is using its own driver for the graphics card (Radeon x1300 / x1550 Series (Microsoft corporation-WDDM))

It wont accept the driver from the disk i got with the graphics card because the driver does not have a digital Signature. (Windows7 proffesional) I have ran the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and it shows that the Graphics card i am using is Supported by 7. Ive tried everything. Like this

1 Let Windows7 partition the HDD itself during installation. 2. Replaced the power supply for a known working one. 3 Removed all peripheral cards during installation. 3: Tested the hard drive for errors and attemped to fix the installation with the boot cd. None of these things work. Here's another strange thing. When i get windows 7 professional to boot, It runs perfectly. Even if i reboot it will come back up perfectly. The error occurs only when i Do a "SHUTDOWN". Here's my configuration. 

Asus p5k Motherboard. 

4 GB of Ram. (I tried running with just 2gb and the same error occured) The ram works fine in other machines and if tried seperately.

Intel core 2 duo Cpu. @3.16  GHZ E8500 x86 64

Windows 7 professional 64 bit

This machine ran XP perfectly up to 2 weeks ago. 

When the machine works it works brilliantly. EG. Aero works fine. It supports 2 monitors and is really quick. 

But then when it is shutdown it freezes on the Windows logo.. Thanks in Advance. 

Peter

Thursday, June 02, 2011 1:52 PM
  • An added extra. My windows experience index is 4.1 and there are no errors in device manager. :)

Thanks again. 

Thursday, June 02, 2011 1:53 PM
  • I am having the same problem with the freeze up after boot up that you are all talking about, I will try knocking down my RAM from 6 Gig to 4 as you suggest and see if that works but if it does not and I have to do a clean install on a 6 month old computer I will be installing XP Pro again and go back to a stable platform. Thanks for the info folks.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 2:40 AM
  • I am having the same problem with the freeze up after boot up that you are all talking about, I will try knocking down my RAM from 6 Gig to 4 as you suggest and see if that works but if it does not and I have to do a clean install on a 6 month old computer I will be installing XP Pro again and go back to a stable platform. Thanks for the info folks.

Hey there, so I checked the ram in my system and it had 6 Gig's as I said before, there are 4 bays on my board 2 blue and 2 black, I pulled the ram out and found that there were 2 sticks of 1 gig and 2 sticks of 2 gig so I put just the 2 sticks of 2 gig ram back into the system using the blue (primary) ram bays which now gives me a total of 4 gigs in the computer. That seems to have sped it up a bit and I have not had the freezing problem since.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Hey there, I have tried all suggestions to no avail until I talked to a friend of mine who used to be a Microsoft tech. I am running Windows 7 in an ACER machine with 6 gigs of ram and I added a PNY video card which has 1 gig of ram on board and the problems started, my friend said for me to uninstall the drivers for the video card and then re-boot into safe mode and re-install the drivers while in safe mode (something to do with windows 7 not correctly sharing DLL files) anyway, it has been 3 weeks now and no issues at all so if you are trying to add anything requireing DLL files in the installation of the drivers try that, it worked for me.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Hi I'm not a programer - I'm a consumer I purchased and up grade and up graded my system - its been a week to install everthing and it stiill freezes and takes 10 min to start up I down loaded all the updated - I have 6 megs of ram

I give up and I'm going to Apple Window / Microsoft has to get there stuff together - I shouldn't have to google for help for two days to try and figure out what I need to do to get my computer running

Sunday, July 03, 2011 1:46 PM
  • I have this problem and use Wipe disk from http://www.dban.org/download and i have great success.Try it!
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:01 AM
  • Windows 7 startup was hanging on my machine, too, after "resuming Windows" but just before displaying the login icons. I came here to TechNet to find a possible solution, and it seemed like several people had removed RAM to fix it, so I tried that too. It worked, but the reason in my case seems to be that removing the RAM changed the Windows startup sequence. Windows noticed the change and asked me some question about it (which I can't remember except that I answered something like "no, don't try to retrieve whatever startup information you're asking about"). Windows then started without a problem (not "resuming Windows" as before when it had been hanging, but now "starting Windows" which worked well). Once things were working I shut Windows down, powered down, replaced the RAM I had removed earlier, and restarted without any problem. So strange: Windows just seems to have needed something to break it out of an infinite loop it was stuck in.
    Monday, November 12, 2012 12:56 AM
  • I've had this issue but on a large scale (1000+ machines) so it may be slightly different but worth a try, full guide here:

Welcome screen hanging fix

http://www.techygeekshome.co.uk

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:01 PM