none
Cannot access PC on network after hostname change

Question

• I recently changed the hostname of one of my Win 10 machines. After that I am no longer able to see the other Win 10 computer on the network. Neither computer is able to see each other. The PCs can't even ping each other anymore by IP or hostname. Before the hostname change everything was fine.

I have tried rebooting the PCs, did a network reset, rebooted the router but nothing has worked. Any ideas please?

Friday, November 10, 2017 10:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to understand your issue. Have you used Homegroup to setup your network?

If yes you should setup again your Homegroup with the new hostname

Momominta

Friday, November 10, 2017 11:21 PM
  • You can join the pc to homegroup follow this link https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/17145/windows-homegroup-from-start-to-finish

Momominta

• Edited by momominta Friday, November 10, 2017 11:31 PM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 11:30 PM
  • I created the homegroup from one PC but can't join it from the other machine. It says there is no homegroup on the network.

I can't even ping the IP of the machine so I doubt a homegroup will be detected.

I tried changing the hostname back to the old hostname but still the machines can't ping each.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:28 AM
  • Leave your homegroup. You can't delete a homegroup, but if everyone leaves the homegroup it will be gone. You can then set up a new homegroup if you'd like.

Momominta

Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:32 AM
  • I've done all this. Left the homegroup on both machines, created a new homegroup on one machine, tried to join the homegroup on the other machine but it says there is no homegroup on the network.

Can we focus on why the machines can't ping each other anymore? Neither IP nor hostname works when trying to ping.

• Edited by CT12 Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:53 AM
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:53 AM
  • You haven't follow how to leave homegroup. All the computers should first leave homegroup before creating a new homegroup.

Momominta

• Edited by momominta Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:56 AM
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:56 AM
  • Have you even read the message I posted?

"Left the homegroup on both machines"

Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:00 AM
  • Don't Download ReimagePlus, it is not part of the solution

Momominta

Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:01 AM
  • Yes i have read but i sent to you the fix, take a look at it  Fix: Homegroup Cannot Be Set Up in Windows 10

Momominta

• Edited by momominta Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:03 AM
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:02 AM
  • Tried the solution in the links you sent but the problem still exists.

Machines can't ping each other through IP or hostname and can't see the other machine under Network.

They were fine before the hostname change.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:41 AM
  • Can I tell you something, i sent to you two links and your answer is I tried the solution but the problem still exist.

You should understand before applying those solutions, you should read.

Have you follow these instructions below. Please do exactly what is written

Don't connect the PC with the new hostname to your network but the one that was used to create the homegroup.

Momominta

• Edited by momominta Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:49 AM
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:46 AM
  • For that type of problem you can read the "Cannot Leave Homegroup" thread below which talks about fixing the same problem.

This will also fix problems related to joining the Homegroup, as it seems this is a big problem with wireless machines trying to join the Homegroup.

I will show you the more direct approach to fixing the problem here. This is another Windows 10 bug apparently so you need to remove some files from the Peer Networking folder in order to fix this problem.

In order to see the AppData folder you will need to go into Folder Options in the Control Panel and put a check mark to "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

The fix for this problem seems to be Deleting all files which reside in PeerNetworking "second picture" at> C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

It's required that you do this on all Homegroup machines in the LAN. After this, you must also leave the Homegroup from all machines and create a new one. It sometimes works best to create the new Homegroup from the wireless machine and join from the wired machines.

Once everything at peer Networking Grouping is running you may also need to do this...

Start the Task Manager
    Click on the service Tab
    Find the "HomeGroupProvider"
    and then stop the service.

You may need to go back into services and enable Peernetworking again after the fix. Don't forget to restart all machines making the adjustments.

Momominta

• Edited by momominta Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:59 AM
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:57 AM
  • Hi CT12,

Does the issue still there?

Momominta

Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:58 PM
  • I am just coming online. Let me try what you last posted and get back. By the way I did perform all the steps exactly as in the links you sent yesterday.
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:31 PM
  • when the machines can't even ping each other by IP address, you don't need to test homegroup.
    There is already a more fundamental problem with your network setup.
    Changing the hostname alone will not produce this problem, so what exactly did you change? 

Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:02 PM
  • Hi CT12,

on each of your computer this folder should be deleted  C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking
    how? shutdown all your computers open just one stop 

Start the Task Manager
    Click on the service Tab
    Find the "HomeGroupProvider"
    and then stop the service.

or winlogo + R > services.msc > stop both services  Peer Networking and now delete the folder PeerNetworking, to do so press on  winlogo + R > type  %appdata% hit enter key

find the folder then delete it.

Shutdown that computer and do the same for teach computer.

After, power on all the computers, you will be able to go for 

How to set up and manage Windows 10 HomeGroup on a local network

or

Set up network access on Windows 10 and share a folder without creating homegroup

Momominta

• Edited by momominta Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:12 PM
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:12 PM
  • Hi CT12,

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/36337-homegroup-remove-pc-windows-7-windows-8-a.html

Momominta

12 hours 9 minutes ago