none
Pause does not work on Windows 8 Batch Files

Question

• I'm transferring some BAT files over to my Windows 8 computer from my Windows 7 Computer. To my surprise, the Pause command does not work. The following BAT file, which I use to review LogCat entries in Eclipse, is an example. How can I Pause in Windows 8?

CD C:\ADTBundle\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130522\sdk\platform-tools>
    adb logcat debug:* ActivityManager:E *:s
    Pause

Thanks, Dean

.net Developer

Monday, June 03, 2013 2:44 PM

Answers

• Problem solved.  It was the > at the end of the first line.  I don't know where that came from but after removing it the pause now works.  Thanks for your effort.

Dean

.net Developer

Monday, June 03, 2013 8:51 PM

All replies

• Pause command does work.  I just double-checked my self and it worked for me in Windows 8.  Try something basic like I did below with just one line of "CD C:\windows\system32" and then on the second line "Pause"

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Monday, June 03, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Ok, so your example works on my W8 system but my bat files don't work on my W8 system.  But they work on my W7 system.

I guess it's valid to say that pause doesn't work on W8 as reliably as on W7.

hmmm.... Any other way to pause that you know of?

Thanks,

Dean

.net Developer

Monday, June 03, 2013 7:00 PM
  • What happens when you run your script manually?  I know if you run it under a System account it will just continue running with no pause as it is smart enough to recognize that there is no terminal to receive the "Any key" message.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Monday, June 03, 2013 7:17 PM
  • I don't know what you mean by "run my script manually."  It's a bat file sitting on my desktop.  I run it by double clicking on it just like I do in Windows 7.  I tried both as admin and not and it did not stop in either case.

ADB is an .exe that Android developers use.  Maybe you could run some .exe on your system to see if pause works there?

.net Developer

Monday, June 03, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Problem solved.  It was the > at the end of the first line.  I don't know where that came from but after removing it the pause now works.  Thanks for your effort.

Dean

.net Developer

Monday, June 03, 2013 8:51 PM