none
How can i purge windows.edb file

Question

• Hi everyone...

I know how to disable Windows Search Service... but how can I purge or delete the file placed on ---C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows--- called windows.edb  it has a size of 500 Mb ... by the way... how can i purge files placed on C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache directory.. or C:\WINDOWS\Installer directory??....

Yes i have a ... 'little' problem of free space..

Thanks in advance...
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:59 PM

Answers

• Hello,

According to your problem description, it seems that you have Windows XP installed on the computer and the Windows Vista Setup forum is for general Windows Vista OS only. Please make sure to choose the appropriate Windows Vista forum before submitting an inquiry in the future. For your information, you'd better submit the thread to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3). Thanks for your understanding

For your current situation, you might refer to the following information. Windows uses an indexing system to catalogue all the files and folders on the hard disk. This indexing system allows searches and queries to be completed when the operating system is "searching" for particular files during operation.

Whenever a query is executed, the parts of the index it used, is temporarily cached so that further searches filtering the result set need not access the disk, to improve performance. Windows Search stores its index in an internal database file named Windows.edb that exists in the \All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\... folder inside Documents and Settings folder in Windows XP. The size of the database file depends on the size of the index. For example, an index of 230,000 files is around 800 MB in size.

You should be able to turn off the indexing services and delete the windows.edb file in most situations.

In addition, it is dangerous to delete any windows files which are found in C:\WINDOWS folder as serious problems could occur in your machine. Whether or not to delete that files is at your own risk.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, May 04, 2009 3:30 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

According to your problem description, it seems that you have Windows XP installed on the computer and the Windows Vista Setup forum is for general Windows Vista OS only. Please make sure to choose the appropriate Windows Vista forum before submitting an inquiry in the future. For your information, you'd better submit the thread to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3). Thanks for your understanding

For your current situation, you might refer to the following information. Windows uses an indexing system to catalogue all the files and folders on the hard disk. This indexing system allows searches and queries to be completed when the operating system is "searching" for particular files during operation.

Whenever a query is executed, the parts of the index it used, is temporarily cached so that further searches filtering the result set need not access the disk, to improve performance. Windows Search stores its index in an internal database file named Windows.edb that exists in the \All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\... folder inside Documents and Settings folder in Windows XP. The size of the database file depends on the size of the index. For example, an index of 230,000 files is around 800 MB in size.

You should be able to turn off the indexing services and delete the windows.edb file in most situations.

In addition, it is dangerous to delete any windows files which are found in C:\WINDOWS folder as serious problems could occur in your machine. Whether or not to delete that files is at your own risk.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, May 04, 2009 3:30 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:16 AM
  • I had the same problem with Windows7

I had to go into 'change how windows searches' in the control panel options,

Under Indexing options you can select which places and drives to Index.   I had to de-select every single folder and drive. Then you HAVE TO click 'rebuild' and It will purge all that data in the windows.ebd file 

My windows.ebd file went from 950gb down to 76 mb.

I plan on getting a bigger C drive soon, and will resume indexing when I re-install windows.

It also answered my concern why I was slowly and progressively running low on C drive room, Every time I searched the indexing file would grow.

Hope it helps,

Ben

• Proposed as answer by numal Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:49 AM
  • Gee, What a nice safe answer.  Dont for get to click your heels and say heil.  Its a good question dont be such a jerk Andrew.

RLM

Bob

RLM
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:32 PM
  • this is very very stupid
    Monday, October 01, 2012 8:24 AM
  • Turn Off and Disable Search Indexing Service in Windows XP

Search indexing service scans through files and folders on the XP system and records information about them in index files in order to speed out the searching speed. For users with low end PC, slow computer, or seldom use XP’s built-in Windows search facility, it’s possible to disable and turn off search indexing to speed up system speed by freeing up CPU and memory which used to perform the indexing task, with the drawback of slower search speeds.

In Windows XP, it’s possible to turn off indexing of some or all hard disk drive (HDD) one by one or to disable indexing service altogether (which will turn off indexing on all drives). Searching is still possible after disabling of indexing, albeit more slowly.

Turn off indexing on particular hard disk drive
    Open up “My Computer”. Or open “Windows Explorer” and then expand Computer tree.
    Right click on the hard drive to disable indexing (i.e (C:) drive letter).
    Select Properties on the contextual menu.
    Click on General tab if it’s not already selected.
    Untick (unselect) the check box for Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching option.
    Click OK, and wait for the index removal process to complete, which may take a few minutes.
    Repeat the steps for other hard drives if applicable.

Disable the Indexing Service in Windows XP
    Open “Control Panel”, select “Administrator Tools”, and open Services applet. Alternatively, type services.msc in the Rn text box from Start menu, and then hit Enter.
    Scroll down and locate Indexing Service service, and then double click on it.
    Click on Stop button to immediately stop the indexing service if the service status shows “Running.
    Under the “Startup Type”, select Disabled to permanently disable the indexing service so that it won’t run again.
    Click OK.
    Monday, October 01, 2012 8:28 AM