none
Leftovers after installation of anniversary update RRS feed

• Question

•  I see there are 4 new leftover folders in the root directory of my system drive after I installed the anniversary update. The folders are

GetCurrent (created today, size 234 Kb, 8 files in 2 subfolders Logs and SafeOS)

$WINDOWS.~BT (created today, size 2.96 Gb, 1,418 files in 211 subfolders, including Boot, Drivers, Efi and so on)

Windows.old (created today, size 27.2 Gb, 162,107 files in 29,791 subfolders)

Windows10Upgrade (created today, size 15.3 Mb, 96 files in 8 folders)

Which ones of the above can I safely remove? and how (if any special approaches are required)?

OS Windows 10 Home x64

Friday, November 11, 2016 2:27 PM

All replies

• Well the Windows.old and $WINDOWS.~BT are in place in case a roll back to the previous. They is kept for 2 weeks then would be cleaned.

Not sure about GetCurrent or Windows10Upgrade not been left behind for me.

If you want to rid of the roll back files a disk clean-up would do that. After that is run the file time choose Clean up system files it will run again and find the roll back files.

Friday, November 11, 2016 8:59 PM
  • Hi , 

As Mr Happy said, Windows.old and $WINDOWS.~BT folder are used to roll back to previous Windows system. If it is not necessary for you to roll back, then we can delete them. There are no GetCurrent and Windows10Upgrade folders on my side, it is not suggested to delete it, the size of these two folders are quite small.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 14, 2016 2:57 AM
  • So what do I do with GetCurrent and Windows10Upgrade folders, regardless of their size?
    Monday, November 14, 2016 7:09 PM
  • Take a restore point then delete them would be my advice.
    Monday, November 14, 2016 10:50 PM