none
Will Student win741.com Windows 7 Pro 32-bit key work for 64-bit later?

Question

• My niece, who's in college ordered and downloaded Windows 7 Professional (one 32-bit and one 64-bit) from win741.com (Microsoft/Digital River deal for students only).  I'm going to be installing this on her laptop (currently on Vista 32-bit going to ---> 7 Pro 32-bit), and her desktop (currently on Vista 32-bit going to ---> 7 Pro 64-bit via a clean custom install) this weekend. 

I'm also upgrading her desktop to 8GB of RAM since she uses this for Photoshop 64-bit and needs the extra memory for the times when she has several RAW D-SLR files and files with multiple layers open.  Hence, the reason why we're using 64-bit on that desktop.  We stayed with 32-bit on the laptop because they have old printers at her college that don't have 64-bit drivers, so to save her the hassle of incompatible drivers, we stayed with 32-bit on her laptop since it only has 2 GB of RAM.

My Question is: If she decides to upgrade her RAM on her laptop later to 6GB, can she then use the 64-bit Windows 7 Pro installation (clean install of course) files she downloaded for her Desktop PC, but still continue to use the key she was given when she ordered & downloaded the 32-bit version?   I know this is possible with the Family Pack which provides 32-bit and 64-bit install CDs and just one key.  Is the same possible for the student $30 download deal she got?
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:02 PM

Answers

• Yes, the product key can be used for the 64-bit version of Windows 7 after removing the 32-bit version via reformat.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Mark_Pasadena Friday, October 23, 2009 2:23 AM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:25 PM

All replies

• Yes, the product key can be used for the 64-bit version of Windows 7 after removing the 32-bit version via reformat.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Mark_Pasadena Friday, October 23, 2009 2:23 AM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Thanks, I'll actually see if that's true by using the 32-bit key when installing the 64-bit Win 7 Pro on her desktop, and vice-versa if it works.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:24 AM
  • please, let me know ...if the 32bit key works on 64bit version.... i have just purchased win732 pro.

thanks
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:47 PM