none
SOLVED: Outlook.pst location

Question

• Where is outlook.pst?

I've searched the forums and found the path %appdata%/Roaming/Microsoft/Outlook in the "Backup ONLY outlook.pst" thread but my user folder only contains outlook.sys and outlook.xml .

I have Outlook working fine with hundreds of emails sent and received but a file search doesn't find outlook.pst either.

M. David Johnson
    Friday, April 01, 2011 3:15 PM

Answers

• Thank you Scorpio -

I'm using Outlook 2010.

I don't find outlook.pst in C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook , nor in C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook .

I also didn't find any "Data File Management" on the File tab.

However, I DID find File->Account Settings->Data Files where the email storage location is listed as c:\users\myname\Documents\Outlook Files\myemailaddress.pst .

However, there is no "Documents" folder under c:\users\myname - but there IS a MyDocuments folder with Outlook Files\myemailaddress.pst it it.

So, if myemailaddress.pst is the new name for outlook.pst (where "myemailaddress" === my actual email address) then it would seem the location is:

c:\users\myname\MyDocuments\Outlook Files\myemailaddress.pst .

M. David Johnson
    Friday, April 01, 2011 4:33 PM

All replies

• Hello David,

Generally speaking, if you keep the default setting of Mailbox data file, the default location for outlook.pst file should be C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

If you use Outlook 2007 or 2010, you may check the location outlook.pst by selecting File->Data File Management, click Data file tab to check it.

Hope it helps.

Scorpio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup | MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Administrator | Solution Architect
    Friday, April 01, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Bear in mind Windows Search is fundamentally flawed, and it often doesn't find things that are there.

This works for Outlook 2003:  In Outlook, in the All Mail Folders pane, right-click on the root folder name (e.g., "Personal Folders").  Choose Properties, then click the [Advanced...] button.  It will tell you where the .pst file is.

On my system it's:  C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook1.pst

-Noel

Friday, April 01, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Thank you Scorpio -

I'm using Outlook 2010.

I don't find outlook.pst in C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook , nor in C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook .

I also didn't find any "Data File Management" on the File tab.

However, I DID find File->Account Settings->Data Files where the email storage location is listed as c:\users\myname\Documents\Outlook Files\myemailaddress.pst .

However, there is no "Documents" folder under c:\users\myname - but there IS a MyDocuments folder with Outlook Files\myemailaddress.pst it it.

So, if myemailaddress.pst is the new name for outlook.pst (where "myemailaddress" === my actual email address) then it would seem the location is:

c:\users\myname\MyDocuments\Outlook Files\myemailaddress.pst .

M. David Johnson
    Friday, April 01, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Thank you Noel -

I'm using Outlook 2010 and it seems to be different, cf. my reply to Scorpio above.

M. David Johnson
    Friday, April 01, 2011 4:35 PM
  • It seems you've solved your problem by yourself. The *.pst files are in C:[Windows partition]\users\<yourname>\My Documents\Outlook Files, easier to access by the "Documents" library (-> Outlook Files) which points to the same place. If you have a second account (same ISP, different mailing service - let's take Hotmail as example), it will be a <username>_hotmail.ost file (f.i., Donald95_hotmail.ost) in the C:\users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook folder. A file "outlook.pst" doesn't exist in Office 2010; like you wrote, the format is <your primary email address>.pst, for example johndoe@aol.com.pst.
    Friday, April 01, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Thank you Sanmartin -

I suspect if I spent 24/7 doing nothing but reading manuals, Microsoft would STILL be changing things faster than I could keep up with. :-(

M. David Johnson
    Friday, April 01, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Here is a very clean explanation.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/changing-the-default-data-file/

• Proposed as answer by anandchakru Sunday, December 02, 2012 1:21 AM
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 1:21 AM
  • If you have uncountable Outlook PST files and you want to list or locate single one then that time absolutely only one time you should try “ SysTools Outlook PST locator software” because this tool not only locate PST file although as well as it save it in safe location. The most important thing of this application is that it provides you FREE DEMO version through you can get details of PST file located from configured user profile.

First of all I want to show you some details about Outlook PST locator software that how it works:-

>> Click on Outlook PST locator. Go to Start menu >> Programs >> Outlook PST Locator >> Outlook PST Locator.

>> Browse desired location and once destination location path is informed, clicks OK

>> Now, you can successfully locate PST file from the selected machine click "OK" to exit.

Friday, November 15, 2013 7:25 AM