Office 365 GPO Update Channel RRS feed

• Question

• The GPO for O365 "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Office 2016\Updates\Update Channel."

Now that microsoft has changed to "Semi-Annual Channel" do i need to set that GPO to "Semi-Annual Channel"

What if i am in the middle of upgrade and have mixed 1609/1701 and 1705? is Semi-Annual only applicable to 1705? Do i even need to set this GPO? I am able to upgrade without.

Sorry, a bit lost here....

Thank for the help.

Monday, September 18, 2017 3:27 PM

Answers

• Don thanks for explaining. 

My thought are "Semi-Annual Channel is the default update channel for Office 365 ProPlus." So if i am pointing for updates to SCCM and all my clients are Deferred channel  which is now Semi-Annual i really do not need to enable this GPO "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Office 2016\Updates\Update Channel."

I am on the right track?

Thanks.

you don't need to apply GPO if you are managing the channel selection via other means.

if you're not managing the channel selection at all, that's fine too. it all depends on your goals

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Marked as answer by Ogeccut Thursday, September 21, 2017 2:23 PM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 8:58 PM

All replies

• That's a question for an Office 365 forum -- someone that monitors this forum may know, but you'll get a much better response in a forum dedicate to O365.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, September 18, 2017 6:10 PM
  • Would it help that i am setting it up with SCCM and ADR?

And managing clients with new and shiny SCCM :) just kidding :)

Thanks for reply.

Monday, September 18, 2017 6:21 PM
  • That's a question for an Office 365 forum -- someone that monitors this forum may know, but you'll get a much better response in a forum dedicate to O365.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

This should be.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:55 AM
  • The GPO for O365 "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Office 2016\Updates\Update Channel."

Now that microsoft has changed to "Semi-Annual Channel" do i need to set that GPO to "Semi-Annual Channel"

What if i am in the middle of upgrade and have mixed 1609/1701 and 1705? is Semi-Annual only applicable to 1705? Do i even need to set this GPO? I am able to upgrade without.

Sorry, a bit lost here....

Thank for the help.

only the 'labels' have changed, the underlying registry keys/values have not changed.

i.e. when you choose 'Monthly Channel' the registry value is populated with 'Current'. This is unchanged from when this known as 'Current Channel' / 'Current Branch'

Similarly, 'Semi-Annual Channel' is actually populating the registry with 'Deferred'. (previously known as 'Deferred Channel')

Below is an extract from the ADMX/ADML admin templates.

<elements>
            <enum id="L_UpdateBranchID" valueName="updatebranch" noSort="true" required="false">
              <item displayName="$(string.L_UpdateBranch_CC)">
                <value>
                  <string>Current</string>
                </value>
              </item>
              <item displayName="$(string.L_UpdateBranch_FRCC)">
                <value>
                  <string>FirstReleaseCurrent</string>
                </value>
              </item>
              <item displayName="$(string.L_UpdateBranch_DC)">
                <value>
                  <string>Deferred</string>
                </value>
              </item>
              <item displayName="$(string.L_UpdateBranch_FRDC)">
                <value>
                  <string>FirstReleaseDeferred</string>
                </value>
              </item>
              <item displayName="$(string.L_UpdateBranch_InsiderFast)">
                <value>
                  <string>InsiderFast</string>
                </value>
              </item>
            </enum>
          </elements>

<string id="L_UpdateBranch_CC">Monthly Channel</string>
    <string id="L_UpdateBranch_DC">Semi-Annual Channel</string>
    <string id="L_UpdateBranch_FRCC">Monthly Channel (Targeted)</string>
    <string id="L_UpdateBranch_FRDC">Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted)</string>
    <string id="L_UpdateBranch_InsiderFast">Insider Fast</string>

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:33 AM

My thought are "Semi-Annual Channel is the default update channel for Office 365 ProPlus." So if i am pointing for updates to SCCM and all my clients are Deferred channel  which is now Semi-Annual i really do not need to enable this GPO "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Office 2016\Updates\Update Channel."

I am on the right track?

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:48 PM

I am on the right track?

Thanks.

you don't need to apply GPO if you are managing the channel selection via other means.

if you're not managing the channel selection at all, that's fine too. it all depends on your goals

• Marked as answer by Ogeccut Thursday, September 21, 2017 2:23 PM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 8:58 PM
  • Thank you.
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 2:23 PM