none
Searching for apps on Start Menu no longer works (2) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We're having the exact same problem as referenced in this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2efec743-085e-43b7-bd9a-8b43000087c8/searching-for-apps-on-start-menu-no-longer-works?forum=win10itprogeneral

Same version of Windows 10 (1703).

Tried all the same solutions. Only disabling Cortana with a manually created registry key, or updating to 1709 have resolved our problem (which brings on it's own problems).

Would appreciate any more suggestions or insight anyone has.

Cheers!

Thursday, March 29, 2018 2:30 PM

All replies

• You could try deleting the search database and letting that recreate see if that helps. Will take sometime to recreate of give it 30mins or after.

From a admin PowerShell prompt;

Stop-Service -Name "WSEARCH" -Verbose
    Remove-Item -Recurse -Force C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search -Verbose
    Start-Service -Name "WSEARCH" -Verbose

Friday, March 30, 2018 5:48 PM
  • searching-for-apps-on-start-menu-no-longer-works?forum=win10itprogeneral

What workarounds and what diagnosis have you tried?  For example, in case the problem is with using Cortana generally that would imply a network connection in a scenario where a network connection was not really necessary.  So, for example, I would try pressing Win-Q clicking on Apps (the filter button) and then typing the app name you wanted to search for (if necessary--I just got a very helpful list that way!)  In any case, I would try running ProcMon to trace and compare those two cases for additional clues about what might be happening.

BTW I must remember that apps filter trick.  That will be handy for when I am trying to use my tablet with only a pen or touch.  Thanks for making me see it.  ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, March 31, 2018 6:50 PM