none
Being able to upgrade Windows 7 from Beta to RC and Release versions. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I do not think that MS should make any discounts or make such upgrades free, I just hope that they will not spoil Win7beta as it is now a great OS (better than Vista and XP).

I want to use it now as my primary OS (really, using it on my notebook and NO bugs, vista drivers work perfectly for those device which do not have win7 drivers, so no drivers problem too, remember what was when Vista came out), but MS wants us to reinstall it when RC or the full version comes out. I understand that they want money for their job, but why not make such upgrades available?

If RC will also be for testing purposes beta may be freely upgraded to it with no financial losses for MS. If they do not want to test RC on so many testers, well, then they can make an upgrade from beta to the release version (and of course change beta`s expiration date). It may come on separate disc for the same fee as the disk with full Windows 7 version, or like an option on these disks.

I am willing to pay for this awesome OS, but I am not ready to install it now (and delete my genuine Windows Server 2008 installation) when I know that I will have to uninstall it in July with no other options. And I really think such an update is needed cause there is an option for Vista SP1 users to upgrade to Windows 7 Beta.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 2:31 AM

All replies

• Remember that while it's technically very easy to offer an upgrade path from 7 beta to 7 _, there are other concerns.

By not offering a direct upgrade option from a beta product, it's much easier to make sure that all the beta related bugs are gone. There's no need to test this upgrade path and less chances of any new bugs out of upgrades from it.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 2:38 AM
  • I have to agree with Oleg. Plus there will probably be several months from the end of the beta to when the full version is released. So that would be several months of having over 8gbs of data on your hard drive that you can't use.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 2:58 AM
  • That`s a pity. I just hoped that I could start using Windows 7 right now as it is the only one 64bit OS I want to have. Others are too "heavy", eating lots of RAM and giving less abilities than Beta gives.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:03 PM
  • i too is currently using Windows 7 as a primary OS because its stable and uses less ram than Vista...but i wanna find out if upgrades would be available because I want to use this OS now...and if not im gonna reinstall vista ultimate.
    Computer:Abit kn8 Sli Mobo, Amd64 X2 4400+ (Toledo Core), 2x1gb OCZ memory platinum edition, Hitachi
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Well, as you see, MS`s position now is that you have to reinstall Vista. Of course we could organise some kind of petition, but sa I see from the popularity of my thread it is not going to work.

I decided to continue using Windows 7 32bit on my notebook till August and leave Windows Server 2008 on my desktop. So far there is no other option.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:32 PM

• OneSman7 said:

Well, as you see, MS`s position now is that you have to reinstall Vista. Of course we could organise some kind of petition, but sa I see from the popularity of my thread it is not going to work.

I decided to continue using Windows 7 32bit on my notebook till August and leave Windows Server 2008 on my desktop. So far there is no other option.

The reason they took that stance, is because while they want people to use the beta and test it, they do not want it to be peoples main OS. Because they don’t want people to put data into Windows 7 that might be lost if something goes wrong.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:50 PM
  • I did a dual boot with Vista Home Premium x64 and Windows 7 x64, and I haven't logged back into Vista except to download a podcast because I don't want to have to put all of my music and such into another iTunes library. I love windows 7 and can't wait until retail
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Hi OneSman7

Everyone here appreciates and respects your comments and feedback.

However, despite the Beta 1 of Windows 7 being very stable, it is still a beta product and definitely has some bugs.

What you do is your decision, but it's not recommended that use any beta product on your primary computer.

If you do this, make sure that you keep up to date backups of all your critical data.

Enjoy Windows 7, and when the next beta version is released, be ready to format and install that new version.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Ronnie, i taught that we could use this beta until the espiration date or maybe an upgrade using the option to keep your data like this beta, it worked fine for me.

Claude, Gatineau, quebec, Canada
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:01 AM
  • Ronnie, thanks for your reply!

I know that your concern is make users not to lose important data. Reading this forum I found many bug issues that people were writing about. But facts are these: I installed Windows 7 32bit on my laptop (1,86GHz, 2Gb RAM and integrated video SIS Mirage 3) and from these point never experienced any problem. Although my video is not standart Vista drivers worked perfectly. Before that Vista Basic was installed and it often gave me bugs and crashes.

So, maybe I am just too excited, but my retail Vista gave me hundreds of bugs and ate tons of resources, while Windows 7 BETA (!!!!) is working perfectly and never caused any trouble. I just can`t wait a year to begin using it. :)
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 8:22 PM
  • I have the same experince. My VISTA box is slower - on a faster MB and CPU then this one.  IT crashes  or hangs for no reason. I do not use  it for much, just  net, mail and games. I 'almost' bought another copy of VISTA to use on my XP box, but saw the  W7 Beta.

A few install issues but 2 weeks later this BETA  BEATS the ____ out of VISTA.

Yes, I am using it for my primay OS, and business stuff. It was PIA to swap back and forth from XP PRO.

My configuration is 3 HD  - HD-1 XP-PRO and the D:-DATA for all the apps including those running on W7

HD-2 W7

HD-3 backups and misc

I select which OS to boot with the startup 'BIOS F11-select HD to boot' option.

I use HD clone SW to clone the OS drive to external drives. My data is backed up  every day to HD-3 from both OS drives.

I document all I am doing in log books. I am a retired SR. SW mainframe /DB system engineer.  I am use to this stuff.

Going to hate to have to re-install my well running W7 later this year but I will get it for sure.

RR

Friday, January 23, 2009 8:43 PM
  • I think they should offer a upgrade that from beta to RTM as well, it wouldnt be the first time. Besides - it will only increase the adoption rate of Windows 7, which is the goal right MS?! - get those *** people off XP!! :)

Jonathan
    Friday, January 23, 2009 9:13 PM
  • Beta upgrades can be problematic. A clean install ensures that any beta drivers and debugging code get properly removed.

I imagine that any changes made to the boot system would require a complete reload, so this could be another motivation to not provide an upgrade path.

Friday, January 23, 2009 9:26 PM
  • beau511 said:

Ronnie, i taught that we could use this beta until the espiration date or maybe an upgrade using the option to keep your data like this beta, it worked fine for me.

Claude, Gatineau, quebec, Canada

Ronnie is just towing the safety line. Microsoft can't be responsible for lost data so it is better to recommend production usage.

Personally, I cannot think of a better way to beta test a new OS than to run it on my production system. And yes I do maintain a backup of my data (i'm not technologically suicidal).

Plus in my situation running the beta on my production system allows me to get some interesting feed back from my customers (aka College Students).  I have been using Windows 7 Beta 1 in my Application Development II class and have been able to show off some of its cool new features.

Friday, January 23, 2009 9:32 PM
  • obviously, MS' official position HAS to be this is beta, don't use it as your production/main OS.

but let's be honest, the only way to really test the OS is to install all the hardware and software you normally use to see if there are any issues and to really use it as you normally would, and yes that means handling your data with it.  Obviously, you don't want to put your company's mission critical stuff on there, but on your own home/workstation?  I'm a developer, so for me, that means setting up and configuring VPN, JDK, apache, perl, ruby, netbeans, dreamweaver, etc, besides the usual email/firefox stuff.  I mean, otherwise, what are you going to do?  Install it, surf the web, play solitaire, admire the GUI, and render your verdict?  That's what reviewers are for!

a bit of nod nod wink wink is in order here.  MS should strongly urge people to do a clean install, but let them do an upgrade anyway.

That said, I probably WILL do a clean install anyway, b/c I'm anal.  But I want to do that for the RTM, not betas and RCs.  That's just too much work even for this geek.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:50 AM
  •  i'm hoping ms does the same thing they did with vista,free beta,i paid $10.00 for my rc1 disk from microsoft and then $129.00 for my vista home premuim,i'm surprised how well windows 7 has worked so far,once downloaded it found updated drivers for brother printer and logitech webcam.i use external hard drive,just in case this causes computer to crash.
    dj
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:53 AM
  • i did clean install of windows 7,i think it has alot less problems than when i did vista beta/rc1-then installed vista home premium,but i always make sure to back-up any changes,as i go along.so far everything i used on vista is working on windows 7 and upon install,windows 7 found and installed new drivers for logitech webcam(orbit mp) and found drivers for my brother printer(mfc 5450)

just hoping rc1 is available before july.

dj
    Monday, January 26, 2009 11:15 AM
  • I think that Windows 7 is an awesome platform, but the Control Panel isn't so user friendly.  I don't think customers want to buy a product that makes them feel that Microsoft is trying to keep an eye on them.

As far as a network interface, there are questions that pop into my mind.  For instance, I tried to change the settings in IIS, and only partially install it (because for the first time Unix based systems can talk to it), but I got a message telling me that Windows 7 was "reverting the settings."  That is NOT going to make businesses happy, especially when they pay big dollars.
    The competition with Linux is obvious.  Whenever I talk to a friend of mine, ho loves Windows product, he always tells me that "he will wait until the bugs are fixed."

it is a beta, and a good one.  I must admit, it has some stunning graphics, and has a wonderful feel for a product, and I cannot wait until the actual product releases, but do want to try the RC to see how well it behaves.

-- WebMan
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:59 AM
  • I have similar issues to some of the above.  I have Windows 7 on my main machine (at home - I've got it ghosted purely for testing at work), but I bought a new drive and disconnected my existing drive before the install, so to go back I just unplug one and plug the other back in.  It takes a couple of weeks or so to get the OS stable (I mean stable in respect of having all of the software I want/need and all of the settings I prefer). 

By the way, I love Windows 7; there's no question I'm going to suffer when I have to go back to XP for the few months between beta death and release.
    • Edited by RobinsonUK Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:41 PM Grammar ;)
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:39 PM
  • RobinsonUK said:

By the way, I love Windows 7; there's no question I'm going to suffer when I have to go back to XP for the few months between beta death and release.

Hopefully no one will have to suffer, I think we'll see something to carry us through till we can buy 7 gold.  It's a great OS!

Kubuntu Intrepid(64bit) booting Win7(32bit), Vista(32bit), and Suse 11.1(64bit) 4 gigs ram, 2.13 dual core, 500 gig hdd, Nvidia 8500GT
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:06 AM
  • hi all had to remove and reinstall Windows Vista 64 Home Premium, seems that Logitech, Asus and several others are not going to make new drivers for their products until Windows 7 is Shrink Wrapped and in my opionion that is a part of what caused Vista to have its downfall, so if they wait and wait, do not use the Beta to Beta their product drivers, then it seems Windows 7 has no future to me because of Asus not having Xonar D2 drivers for Windows 7 yet, and Logitech Vehemanently refuses to make drivers available for their products under the Windows 7 platform, and it seems the Asus Driver for my  Xonar D2 Audio card was responsible for my system, So I can only hope that someone from microsoft can jump on these people including Magic Jack to help promote the Windows 7 Platform by making available Drivers for the respective products.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:35 PM
  • I dual booted Windows 7 with XP Media Center editions for about 3 weeks, until I realised that XP was now just dead space on my hard drive. I now run Windows 7 as my only os, and aside from an old HP printer it can use everything without needing extra drivers.

I'm not convinced it's getting the best out of my hardware right now, but it's a beta, and I know drivers are very basic right now. To be honest I could care less, it has a great feel about it, it runs well, and it just works. Of course there are flaws, but I often forget it's a beta as most of the time it feels like a complete product.

I remember when I first got into trouble at school, at the age of four. I was sent out of the classroom to find another teacher, but I hadn't got a clue where to look, and the school seemed huge and maze-like. So instead I stood outside the classroom for a few minutes, then went back to the teacher who had sent me and told her this other teacher couldn't be found. I was found out and got into trouble of course. Why am I telling that story? Well it reminds me of how previous versions of Windows handled drivers, with new hardware it would offer to go online to search for you, then come back telling you nothing could be found.

In contrast the only driver I have to install on two of my machines is a wireless network card, after that Windows 7 needed no prompting whatsoever to go online, find and install drivers, with barely a notification to interrupt me. I even managed to get it running on an old 700Mhz PIII Vaio laptop with a 20GB hard drive and 384MB of RAM. It's not so sprightly as my desktop, but it does work useably. The machine that's hard-wired needed no input from me at all! Beautiful.

That's the sort of thing that will assure Windows 7 is a success, simple ease of use, such as the troubleshooter that appears if you can't boot up. How much nicer for the average user than being given the mysterious option of 'safe mode', which suggests nothing to most people. Microsoft is slowly making its products more ergonomic, and I'm liking it.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:51 PM
  • I am also VERY happy with this new Win7.  I have triple-boot (XP-Vista-WIn7) and I know that when the Beta version stops working I can boot to my other systems till I can upgrade (or purchase) the new ALPHA version. I suggest that you also do dual-boot (XP-Win7  or Vista-Win7, or even triple boot like mine.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:10 AM
  • I want my Windows 7 too, but for now since I have to use the only system I have as a Production model, eg DJ software, needs the Sound Driver for that, my Mouse Drivers / Hardware to work, EG Gamer Guild Wars and more. Also Secondlfe. AW and much more. Then my Phone, Magic Jack, I need that to do live calls and other things, so with all of these things needed for what I do, I have to say I will stay with  Vista Premium 64 for now and hope that someone out there can PErsuade Asus for my Xonar D2 Audio card, Logitech for their products and Magic Jack to all get in on the Windows 7 testing then I will surely go back to the Beta and use it, though my Personal Vista Premuin 64 is Fast as it can be and more, though Windows 7 64 was just a bit faster!! I really want to use it but am unable to use it unless they (the above) can actually get on the bandwagon.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:31 AM
  • I have not a clue why they did not say to use it as a primary OS. This is a very stable beta and have had no problems so far. there are a few bugs but nothing compared to vista or even windows xp. I would have no issues upgrading from the beta.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Tnwilson said:

I have not a clue why they did not say to use it as a primary OS. This is a very stable beta and have had no problems so far. there are a few bugs but nothing compared to vista or even windows xp. I would have no issues upgrading from the beta.

Hi

This is the standard recommendation for any beta operating system.

This beta includes a lot of debuggung code that can be the source of unexpected behavior. It has been extensively tested, internally before being made public, but with the overwhelming number of different hardware + software combinations in the world, not every possible eventuality can be predicted.

There is also the matter of liability, anyone who installs beta software must be warned before they make the decision to install and test on their system.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:29 PM
  • my 2 cents:
    It's great this beta is better than production Vista for most of you, but as many others have said, it should not be your primary OS.

I have this beta on my least favorite (old) desktop and work with it along side my (favorite) XP machine.
    I never took the jump to Vista due to all the bad press.

What I have found is this beta is not so stable.  I installed the beta early in the program and it was running for a couple of weeks until MS sent the test updates.  After instaling the updates, the machine just would not start and it couldn't repair itself, and it couldn't find a restore point (It's there, I know I made on right after I installed MS Office).  So after reinstalling from the DVD iso, I'm back working with this.

I've also had some slugishness with the performance, where the CPU meter gadget was showing 100% every time I clicked the mouse.  I have an athlonXP processor and 2GB of ram, so I was not expecting it to be this slow.  XP zooms with this config.

Lastly, the beta with expire before the production version is out, so I wouldn't get too attached to the look and feel.  I also expect the release to be delayed; always happens.

Dan
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:41 AM
  • I am using Windows 7 as the primary OS on a newly built system and so far it has been quite stable and responsive.  I dual boot with XP on an older pc and so far that seems to be going pretty well so far other than full support for the 915G chipset.  Whether or not I can upgrade the Beta to the RC or RTM doesn't concern me, I'll probably do clean installs when the RTM is released.

System 1 consists of the following:

Intel D945GCLF2 Mini ITX Motherboard (integrated video, sound and 10/100/1000 LAN)

Atom 330 CPU (1.6 GHz, dual core, hyperthreaded)

Kingston 2GB SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

Western Digital 80GB 7200 RPM SATA  Hard Drive

LITE-ON SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04

ADESSO WKB-3000UB USB RF Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Optical Trackball

SAMSUNG 40" 1080p LCD HDTV - LN40A550 serving as the monitor

Windows 7 Beta, Avira Antivir Personal, Verizon DSL

System 2 consists of:

Intel D915GAG motherboard (integrated video, sound and 10/100 LAN)

Celeron 2.66 GHz CPU

1.5 GB PC3200 RAM

Western Digital 80GB SATA  Hard Drive

DVD-RW

Old Viewsonic LCD monitor

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Just putting in my two cents worth in here...

My concern is not to do with being able to upgrade all the way to the final RC1, but to be able to use which ever Beta is available until the retail release.
    I have been a beta tester for MS since Windows 95 first came out... back then though you had to apply and be accepted by MS to beta their upcoming products.  You also use to receive the RC1 Disk and X amount of keys for your work, and you usually received this before retail hit the stores.

The point I am trying to make is, that like a lot of other people here, I think this one of the most stable betas MS has ever put out.  I like it, I want it, and I don't want to go back to XP on my netbooks until I can get a retail license. 

I know with the way MS is doing their public testing now, there is no way in heck that they can give everyone that has participated in the beta free keys, or disks (so far I actually feel guilty testing this OS... it doesn't feel or act like a Beta, and I can't find any bugs to really report).

So in closing, I would  like to see an option for extended use of the beta, or an early purchase option so we can go straight to a clean install of what ever versions are being released.  I have purchased two Netbooks so far, and will probably be purchasing a third one when the touch screen version hits the market.  The two I have came with WinXP preinstalled.  After doing a clean install of Win7, I can't even begin to describe the difference between the two operating systems..... and this is a BETA!  They are faster, the video and graphic are crisper, the wireless networking speed is unbelievable, its not a resource hog, and it is just a beautiful operating system IMO.

Keep up the good work MS, and thank you.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Just wanna tell that this BETA of Win7 is great. I don't even feel that this is a BETA product. It feels much like a final one. stable and reliable. I love it. It has several improvements that would certainly kill XP, and Vista.

Regarding the thread, I don't mind doing a clean install, since I would certainly do it once the retail is out. Plus, if there is an upgrade from BETA or RC to the Final (retail) version, it would be great, maybe not for me but for other people I know who are not much happy about having to do a clean install of Win7 (which they already loved since the day I introduced it to them).

So, if an upgrade path is available, it would be a great option for some users.

And, just a suggestion, maybe, if you are concerened that BETA bug will not be flushed out on the retail if we upgrade, why not make an upgarde path that will clear-out the OS, but will have the ability to retain the settings and programs. So that when the retail version is installed, we don't need to re-install them since the OS would automatically integrate the already existing settings and data. Pretty much like games, we would have the ability to remove the game but retain the game saves and settings. SO that when we re-install the game, our settings and game saves would be avaialable to us like we never removed the game.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:55 AM
  • although it is stated not to use windows 7 as your main OS, i am using it as my main OS, dont mind taking the risk as i found it a lot more stable, reliable and responsive than vista. simply best OS ever installed on my computer (comp. specs. 2.66Ghz Pentium 4, 1.25GB DDR RAM, 160GB HD with nVidia GeForce 5). it dosent bother me not to be able to upgrade from beta to the final release since i always like to start clean wen installing an OS, but hoping that microsoft will extend the expiration date from august till the date the final version of windows 7 is released, seriously cant wait and really dont want to return to previous OS.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 8:23 PM
  • although it is stated not to use windows 7 as your main OS, i am using it as my main OS, dont mind taking the risk as i found it a lot more stable, reliable and responsive than vista. simply best OS ever installed on my computer (comp. specs. 2.66Ghz Pentium 4, 1.25GB DDR RAM, 160GB HD with nVidia GeForce 5). it dosent bother me not to be able to upgrade from beta to the final release since i always like to start clean wen installing an OS, but hoping that microsoft will extend the expiration date from august till the date the final version of windows 7 is released, seriously cant wait and really dont want to return to previous OS.

Hi John

You might want to read the following article. This is the latest, official information on the upgrade path to the upcoming W7 Release Candidate. Keep an eye on that blog for all of the current, detailed information.

Delivering a quality upgrade experience

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 11:33 PM
  • so when the experation date comes what happens to my os? will i have to upgrade from RC version to a full or is it the same? And has anyone had their computer completely freak out mabey once every few days and shut down after some squiggly lines flash across my screen?
    Friday, August 7, 2009 8:12 AM
  • Magicjack does work on w7-rc no problems so far
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:06 AM
  • My son installed the beta version on my laptop, now I am stuck dealing with complete shutdown every 2 hours.  I sent off to HP for a system recovery disk to go back to vista, but it wouldn't work.  I thought I'd just suck it up and go spend the $119 for the home upgrade but I ran the Windows 7 system check before I was going to run the install.  Well that tells me I am already running 7 and don't need an upgrade.  I have no idea what to do.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 11:59 PM
  • IJDACOSTA: I Don't Know If This Is Still An Option, But What I Did Was I Bought A Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade Edition (4 My Primary System), And Then I Bought A Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack 4 The Rest Of My 3 Computer's, Just FYI!

The Differense Between Paying $119.99 4 1 Windows 7 License Compared 2 Paying $149.99 4 3 Windows 7 Lisences Made It Worth While 4 Me 2 Spend The Extra Money While The Family Pack Option Was Still Available! It May Be 2 Late Now, However! Just FYI!
    Open Source Linux Ubuntu Alpha/Beta Tester!
    • Edited by kevpan815Banned Monday, January 4, 2010 12:34 AM Spelling Error.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 12:33 AM
  • Sounds like a very good deal, where did you find that deal?  I have not heard of that before, will be worth it.
    I have not yet opened the upgrade box so can take it back.  
    Monday, January 4, 2010 12:36 AM