none
Sysprep failling after reboot into OOBE RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to configure an image for deployment to other machines. I've configured the machine, then I run sysprep, choose generalize and OOBE. Sysprep does its thing, then reboots. Then when 'setup is starting services', I get a 'Windows could not finish configuring the system', and it advises to reboot and try again, which presents the same error. I've tried uninstalling symantec endpoint antivirus, but this does not prevent the issue. Where should I look for what is causing the problem? Is there a logfile?
    Friday, April 30, 2010 6:24 AM

Answers

• I now have the ACTUAL SOLUTION to this problem.  This solution will actually tell you exactly what registry key is causing your sysprep to fail, so then you don't have to slowly install every program until you find the problem -- especially since this didn't work for me because my problem has been intermittent.

This issue is caused by certain registry keys that are either:

a) Larger than 8kb

b) Set with incorrect permissions

c) Corrupt in some way

For me, the problem was intermittent (same registry key would sometimes cause the issue and sometimes not - must be corrupt sometimes) so it was impossible to tell what program was doing it.  Luckily, there is a log you can look at that will tell you exactly what registry key is erroring out.  Here are the steps for getting the log you need to see:

When you see the error message, do the following:

1.) Push Shift+F10 to get to a command prompt

2.) Navigate to C:\windows\Panther

3.) Find the Setup.etl file and find a way to copy this file off of the system (I copied it to the D:\ partition and used Ghost to gather that partition and get the file off)

4.) Copy the setup.etl file from the corrupted system to another computer that has Windows 7.  Put it on the root of C:\ for easiest access.

5.) Open a Command Prompt on the Windows 7 computer.

6.) Navigate to the root of C:\ (or wherever you saved the file)

7.) Type "tracerpt setup.etl -o logfile.csv"

8.) Close the command prompt and open up logfile.csv in your text editor of choice. 

9.) Look through the log file (towards the end probably) for messages that say "Failed to process reg key or one of it's decendants"  For me, the exact eror looked like this: "Failed to process reg key or one of its descendants: [\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Plugins\01000200\Profiles\@My profile]"  If you search for "reg key" or "failed to process" you should find the failure.

10.) Remove this software from your image, or find out how to get the registry key that is failing to work properly.

After this, you should be able to properly identify any problem keys and remove/workaround them on your image.

Friday, June 4, 2010 4:09 PM

All replies

• I tried the hotfix, but it did not work. The hotfix in question refers to audit mode; I am not running audit mode.
    Monday, May 3, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Try deleting the partition and re-creating the new one to install Windows 7.

Best Regards

Dale

Monday, May 3, 2010 7:21 AM
  • What do you mean by deleting the partition? Do you suggest a clean install of Windows? A clean install works; I need it to work on the image I've created.

I can run sysprep successfully on the manufacturer-provided image, but after installing the software required for the school, this occurs.

I'd really like to start working with positives here rather than taking stabs in the dark, each of which take 30-60 minutes to complete the sysprep cycle, then re-image when it fails; Is there a log file that can point me to the driver or software that might be causing the problem?

Monday, May 3, 2010 11:26 PM
  • I am experiencing exactly the same problem running sysprep to generalise and image a laptop to clone another 29 identical machines - all help gratefully received - am now on 6th sysprep/reimage cycle (using Clonezilla) having stopped wmpnetwk.exe , uninstalled Sophos Antivirus and a couple of other things - would love to know what is wasting hours of my time ...

TIA, Barbara

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:36 PM
  • OK; I eventually narrowed it down to "Classroom Presenter 3" software (ironically, this software is sponsored by Microsoft Research). Uninstalling this let me complete the sysprep cycle successfully.

Even so, it would be nice to have available some diagnostics for why this was failing - I hate stabbing in the dark, and a logfile would be indispensable (this is why I love Linux - I can open up the bonnet and have a look what's going on inside)

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:45 PM
  • Interesting - is that something that runs a network service like the Windows Media one?  Maybe my issues might be related to the network 'awareness' of the SmartBoard software we use ...

Will report later!

Barbara

Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:31 AM
  • I now have the ACTUAL SOLUTION to this problem.  This solution will actually tell you exactly what registry key is causing your sysprep to fail, so then you don't have to slowly install every program until you find the problem -- especially since this didn't work for me because my problem has been intermittent.

This issue is caused by certain registry keys that are either:

a) Larger than 8kb

b) Set with incorrect permissions

c) Corrupt in some way

For me, the problem was intermittent (same registry key would sometimes cause the issue and sometimes not - must be corrupt sometimes) so it was impossible to tell what program was doing it.  Luckily, there is a log you can look at that will tell you exactly what registry key is erroring out.  Here are the steps for getting the log you need to see:

When you see the error message, do the following:

1.) Push Shift+F10 to get to a command prompt

2.) Navigate to C:\windows\Panther

3.) Find the Setup.etl file and find a way to copy this file off of the system (I copied it to the D:\ partition and used Ghost to gather that partition and get the file off)

4.) Copy the setup.etl file from the corrupted system to another computer that has Windows 7.  Put it on the root of C:\ for easiest access.

5.) Open a Command Prompt on the Windows 7 computer.

6.) Navigate to the root of C:\ (or wherever you saved the file)

7.) Type "tracerpt setup.etl -o logfile.csv"

8.) Close the command prompt and open up logfile.csv in your text editor of choice. 

9.) Look through the log file (towards the end probably) for messages that say "Failed to process reg key or one of it's decendants"  For me, the exact eror looked like this: "Failed to process reg key or one of its descendants: [\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Plugins\01000200\Profiles\@My profile]"  If you search for "reg key" or "failed to process" you should find the failure.

10.) Remove this software from your image, or find out how to get the registry key that is failing to work properly.

After this, you should be able to properly identify any problem keys and remove/workaround them on your image.

Friday, June 4, 2010 4:09 PM
  • 7.) Type "tracerpt setup.etl -o logfile.csv"

Hi Jeff, 

i've tried your solution but at this point i have an error "The file or directory is corrupted and ureadable"

do you have some solution?!

thanks

Giuseppe

Friday, June 11, 2010 12:33 PM
  • 7.) Type "tracerpt setup.etl -o logfile.csv"

Hi Jeff, 

i've tried your solution but at this point i have an error "The file or directory is corrupted and ureadable"

do you have some solution?!

thanks

Giuseppe

Hey Giuseppe,

Hmm, I don't know what the issue there might be.  From the sound of it setup.etl is corrupted somehow so the logfile can't be parsed by Tracerpt.

Maybe try Log Parser to parse the log instead of Tracerpt?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=890cd06b-abf8-4c25-91b2-f8d975cf8c07&displaylang=en

Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Hi All,

Please refer to this.  It fixed my problem with sysprep /oobe /generalize.

This is the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981542/

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:01 AM
  • For me it works if you first of all uninstall Daemon Tools and his sptd driver with his appropriate program

and then disable all non-microsoft services and all startup programs

With these prerequisite  I confirm that sysprep /oobe /generalize works like a charm.

Monday, May 23, 2011 12:42 PM