none
USB Wireless not working after XP SP3 download

Question

• Sympton: Have installed XP SP3 on Dell Dimension 3000 and am now unable to use Dlink DWL-G122 USB Wireless Adapter. Uninstalled and tried re-installing USB Adapter with no joy : (

Restore works great and am able to get USB adapter working after rolling back to SP2 but no way under SP3

Error messages include :The procedure entry point aptSearchInterface could not be located in dynamic link library wlanapi.dll and answers in other threads pointing to hotfix for the API. See KB 918997

Tried this Hotfix that came out for SP2, however it will not run or install on SP3 - So I'm back where I started.

Any other suggestions?

Have read a number of similar issues in different threads with all the answers sending me in circles

Thursday, May 08, 2008 3:25 PM

Answers

• S U C C E S S !!!! 

Dlink's American site have a listing of updated wireless drivers for XP SP3, including one for the DWL G122.

Have installed it and it is working perfectly. Have rebooted numerous times and mucked around for a few hours using the USB device and it appears to be working very reliably.

The updated drivers did not appear in the normal driver update location, but were located after typing XP SP3 into the FAQ search bar.

Good luck to anyone else who was having trouble with their Dlink wireless devices.

PS the error messages advising WZCSLDR2 and AirGCFG not found/loaded continue to appear and I have disabled them in MSCONFIG. This had no affect on the functionality of the wireless USB device, and they may be a left-over from the earlier installation - I did try to uninstall the previous Dlink installation, but it didn't seem to correctly uninstall. 

Monday, May 19, 2008 11:45 AM

All replies

• I had the same problem yesterday before upgrading to sp3 with a D-Link DWA-110 usb wireless adapter. I couldn't find any error, and had to downgrade to sp2. Cheers!!
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 9:46 PM
  •  

Evening gentleman first looking into the release notes the following was lised as supported in Sp3.

918997 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918997/)

Developers cannot create wireless client programs that manage wireless profiles and connections over the Wireless Zero Configuration service in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Hotfix

I have to check with you about the following things; Hardware, environmental, events

Also any lap tops should be pluged into wall power or docking stations. Is this a lap top coniguration?

1) Do you have any system, event viewer error message? If so what are they?

2) a) Are there any Yellow exclaimation marks in the device manager? Next to Usb controllers, hubs under usb system devices in the control panel device manager?

b) Some times USB hubs epecially older ones may have died. and removal may help trouble shoot the problem.

c) If there is a yellow mark by Usb you may wish to right click on the usb.inf win the rootdrive:\%windir%\inf folder and re-install the usb controler.

d) Note Intel/Nvidia/Via may need the latest driver information available Especially on newer chipsets that have been released! Gm935 etc

3) When spefically did you do when the device failed. Slow (greater then 5 secs) removal and then re-insertion may help out here. Give the computer time to not find the device and slow down detion routines.

More indepth troubleshooting

1)

a) By default certain things are NOT turned on in the adminstrative tools services panel. If so I would click on start, run etner in these letters "service.msc" then hit enter. should start your services panel. You may wish to maximized this if you have a larger monitor.

For some break down of what we are seeing. Each service is listed by name, and then provides a description of what the service does. On mine I have configured to view Name, description, status, then Startup type, and actions.

2)

a) The main information we shall be delving into is the dependencys of various things we are interesed in running.  An easy on is to right click Wireless zero configuration. We are going to set this to Automatic and start it. This is as simple as clicking on it. Once this is done we can rick click Wireless Zero Configuration, click on propertys. and then click on dpenedencys.

aa) We see NDIS Usermode I/O protocol this is one we do not have to worry about since this is the user mode driver for Netbios. Unless you depend on this for network interface. *not likely in wireless environment*

ab) Next we see the Remote Procedure Call RPC. This is the fun one, that depends on a lot of different Xp services.

b) once we have determing RPC services we note there are two different services one is RPc Locator as long as this is manusal we do not have to worry about this second one. The first one is going to give use grief.

C) looking into Remote Procedure Services, we want this set to at least manual, better to have it automatic and started. Then we can look into the dependencys as before.  

There is going to be a long list of things we are concerned with

• Back ground intelligent transfer
    • Com+ Event system, system event notification
    • Com+ System Application
    • Cyrptographic Services
    • Distrubted link tracking system
    • Distrbuted Transaction Coordinator
    • Error Reporting Service
    • Extenisible Authentication Protocal Service, Wired Autoconfig
    • Health Key and Certificate Management Service
    • Help and support
    • Human Interface Deivce Access
    • Indexing Service
    • IPsec Services
    • Log Disk manager, Adminstrative service
    • Logical Disk Manager Adminstrative Service
    • Messenger
    • Ms Shadow volumn copy
    • Network Access Protection Agent
    • Network Connections, Wilress Firewall/ Internet Connection Sharing/(ICS)
    • Network Provisioning Service
    • Print Spooler
    • Protected Storage
    • QOS
    • Remote Destop Help Session Manager
    • Remote Registery
    • Removable Storage
    • Routing and Remote Access
    • Security Accounts Manager, Distrubted Tranaction Coordinator
    • Security Center
    • Shell Hardware detection
    • System Restore Service
    • Task Scheduler
    • Telephony, Remove Access Auto Connection Manager, RAC Manager, RAC Auto connection manager
    • Telnet
    • Terminal Services, Fast User Switching Compatibility
    • Volume Shadow Copy
    • Windows Audio
    • Windows Image Aquisition (WIA)
    • Windows Installer
    • Windows Management Instrumentation, Security Center, Windows Firewall, ICS*(internet connection service
    • Wireless Zero Configuration
    • WMI Performance Adaptor

As you can see this is an extensive lise of dependencys how ever this is a way to shorten it considerable if you break it down to things we are only interested in. DHCP is set to started, and automatic on my system Usefull in Dynamic *not static addressing environents.

Yellow is manual on my system, green is started.

what you are concerned with being able to install and having the following

BIT is set to manual on my system So this is ok. Its on demand and works when called upon to work

Com+ Dot net if I am not mistakedn at least 1.1 should be installed. at serially up to 3.0 at least

NAP turned on. protection while accessing the net

Upnp play turned on.

HTTY SSL this is enabling http.sys protected access to secure hyper text links. set to manual at least

Windows installer,

WMI

After you have determine tha appropriate services are running.

Search for the unknown device in your usb system devices and update the driver to your network adaptor disk or cd

If you are still not seeing other computers in the network check the fire wall settings in the control panel.

Hopefully this helps you out. if I need correction please add and I will update this post.

Keith

Sunday, May 11, 2008 2:05 AM
  • Holy Moly this is more than I'm familiar with! I will have a go at doing the above tonight when I get home and let you know the outcome tomorrow morning.

Over the last few days I have been mucking around trying various simple fixes (see Whirlpool Forums mentioned below), and got to the stage where Restore would no longer bring the system back to SP2 - in fact got a blue screen crash that required a clean re-install of Windows SP2, as the Windows XP Repair option crashed to the blue screen at the same spot when trying to repair Windows.

What it does mean now though is my machine is now running a clean re-installed Windows XP2 with all updates up to but not including SP3. I have also updated all available drivers either using the Windows update site or those from the Dell Update site. There are in fact at the moment no other programs running on the machine other that the Dlink USB Wireless Adapter driver and application.

The first three suggestions above I am sure I have covered in my earlier mucking around, but will use your checklist and report back tomorrow morning. When operating in SP3 mode, Device Manager for the Dlink USB Wireless Adapter recognised and described the device as working with no problems. Removing it and re-inserting it, SP3 behavied as you would expect, with the normal, New Decive Located message, followed by the Locating Driver Message and finishing with the Your Device is Loaded and ready to use.

I sent the same troubleshooting message to Microsoft Supprt when I found out they are giving free tech supprt to SP3 Upgrades and got a reply withing 24 hours - pretty impressive. Here is their reply:

APAC Global Consumer Support to me
    show details May 9 (3 days ago) Reply

Dear Roy,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Assisted Support. My name is Nony and I will be assisting you regarding your issue with Windows XP SP3.

As I understand, after performing SP#, you are not able to use your DWL-G122 USB wireless adapter anymore. If I am off base, please let me know.

I have tried to do a research on this, and regretfully, the problem is caused by DLink driver is not compatible to be used with SP3 yet.

Kindly refer to this website:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/882093.html

Therefore, please try to contact the DLink Support and check with them whether they have released the latest driver for your wireless adapter. Here is the support contact that I have found:

http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/Contact.asp

If you have contacted the manufacturer of the product and they have completed industry standard troubleshooting and referred you to Microsoft, please reply to this message, outlining in as much detail as possible the steps that were taken before you were directed to Microsoft.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kind regards,
    Nony
    Microsoft Australia & New Zealand Technical Support
    http://support.microsoft.com

I have checked the Whirlpool Forum site and it is full of other peoples similar events with no working solution for me so far, but I like your checklist layout and will try that tonight.

Thanks for your interest and suggested action.

Regards  Roy

Sunday, May 11, 2008 11:26 PM
  • I have been researching the problem on a few different forums, and here is a summary of my results:

Dlink are aware of the issue and have posted a suggested solution of turning off the two services that cause a pop-up warning each time you start XP SP3, ie turn off the two services using MSCONFIG. This gets rid of the warning notices, and enables improves XP SP3 ability to recognize and access the Dlink USB Wireless device.

However, that's as far as the USB wireless devices functionality goes. It identifies my wireless network, but cannot connect to it. In fact I would go so far as to say that from this point on the USB wireless device requires un updated driver - its functionality is completely irratic. ie it identifies incorrect network security protocols, it freezes regularly, requiring constant re-boots just to continue trying to work with it, it is irractic in identifing the network and difficult to get to change settings to the desired ones to work with my network setup, it causes the USB port to crash requiring regular changes to other available USB ports just to keep working on the problem, amongst a small list of things the USB wireless device now seems incapable of doing.

I have noticed that the XP SP3 wireless network configuration settings options are now more sophisticated and allow you to configure and select what type of wireless system you are using (802.a, 802.b , 802.g mix etc) and to connect to SSID's that are not broadcasting a SSID etc. Inititally I had my SSID not to broadcast for security reasons, but during my mucking around changed it to broadcast the SSID to see if that improved things - it made a difference but it didn't improve or correct the situation.

I don't believe interference from other wireless devices is the issue, as the device works perfectly and robustly reliable under XP SP2. Also there does dot appear to be any other wireless networks within range of my home.

I think it may be possible for the USB wireless device to work under XP SP3 if I was able to find a combination of wireless network set-up features that matched what the device could cope with. ie maybe a different set of wireless network protocols from the ones I am familiar with and use at home. ie an ad-hoc network with no encrytion security.

I haven't gone down that path because I have given up as it is very time consuming going backwards and forwards each time you change something to make sure something else hasn't been affected and then generally having to re-boot and check the USB connection.

I am no guru and have stumbled into creating the home wireless network that works with all our wireless PC's including a Vista machine and an old Win 98 Laptop that acts as a wireless internet radio machine attached to the setero - so am limited in what sort of wireless networks I am willing to experient with in fear of crashing the whole home newtork.

I'll live with XP SP2 until I see un updated driver from Dlink available.

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions, really appreciated it and had about 20 hours of fun restoring, rolling back, re-installing and generally mucking around with the exercise, but now its back to normal with XP SP2  : )

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:52 AM
  • Sorry about all the hours

At least we set you up for success with Sp3 as best as possible. Which was the goal. I almost heard holy electron Batman how did you figure that out when I read the other post of yours. Was snickering at least.

I have a couple of dlink G network wireless adaptors. But have not set up a network myself. yet. Have looked into the manuals and did some on line research as you can see. But will probably install wired network connections to ensure security myself. *Undergound, drip loops, fiber based* Since the plan is do wire the house anyway.

Usually Sps make things easier. Just too bad the model for wireless conections changed soo much. At least with changes we have a chance of improved security. Which seems to have been the goal.

Cheers

Keith

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:24 AM
  • I have experienced loss of connectivity on one of my PCs after installing SP3.

I had no problem with the actual SP3 installation on either machine. It took about 15 minutes on the Dimension E520 -- 40 minutes on the Dimension 2300 -- and proceeded to install without any hitches at all.

On the older Dell Dimension 2300 with a Netgear 802.11b Mbps wireless adapter and with SP3 installed, connectivity is fine.

However, on my newer Dell Dimension E520 with a Netgear WG111 v2 802.11g 54 Mbps wireless adapter, the only way I could get -- and maintain -- connectivity to the Web was to uninstall SP3.

Both machines are accessing a Linksys WRT54G router.

On the E520 after SP3 was installed and I rebooted, I didn't have any connectivity. I played around for a few hours uninstalling and reinstalling SP3, uninstalling and reinstalling the Netgear adapter and doing System Restores until I finally DID get connectivity.

Then overnight I lost connectivity for no apparent reason. I was unable to get connectivity back. I mucked around a bit and got as far as the connection icon in the notification area showing as it looked...and looked...and looked to acquire an IP address. BUT it never found one.

So I've uninstalled SP3 on the Dimension E520 and plan on staying with SP2 until there is some sort of a solution.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:38 AM
  • Seems to be a problem with some USB adapters and especifically for Dlink WLAN USB adapters,
    I had the same problem with Dlink DWA 110, after SP3 update I´ve been lost conectivity, the SSID was found and connected, and the Wlan adapter gets an IP Adress by Router, but the network and internet doesn t work!

Microsoft knows the problem, but they don´t have any solution for it...and points to an incompatilbility between Dlink drivers and Service Pack 3!
    I searched for any information about this problems on D-Link website, without success...no drivers update and no iformation about this problem!

It seems that the solution is don t install the SP3 update.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:18 PM
  • S U C C E S S !!!! 

Dlink's American site have a listing of updated wireless drivers for XP SP3, including one for the DWL G122.

Have installed it and it is working perfectly. Have rebooted numerous times and mucked around for a few hours using the USB device and it appears to be working very reliably.

The updated drivers did not appear in the normal driver update location, but were located after typing XP SP3 into the FAQ search bar.

Good luck to anyone else who was having trouble with their Dlink wireless devices.

PS the error messages advising WZCSLDR2 and AirGCFG not found/loaded continue to appear and I have disabled them in MSCONFIG. This had no affect on the functionality of the wireless USB device, and they may be a left-over from the earlier installation - I did try to uninstall the previous Dlink installation, but it didn't seem to correctly uninstall. 

Monday, May 19, 2008 11:45 AM
  • I also had S U C C E S S!!. with d-link dwl-g122 rev B. I installed the driver 2.04 found in the d-link support page for the hardware, the one that says that it corrected some 64 bit installation issues. It also fixes the winapi error that comes up after you update to Windows XP SP3. The driver lets you use de air plus utility which fixes the disconnection issues that you guys are experiencing. Hopefully D-link will update the drivers in Vista also so i can finally upgrade my PC.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:02 PM
  • The working D-Link drivers for Windows XP Service pack 3 can be found here:

http://support.dlink.ca/faq/view.asp?prod_id=3002

Hope this helps!

Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:16 PM
  • I just wasted a day trying to get my D-Link DWA-110 working after a SP3 upgrade to Windows XP.  Eventually I downloaded V1.3 of the driver software from the D-Link site to fix the problem as the following URL:
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 10:01 AM
  •  pptrueno29 wrote:
    I had the same problem yesterday before upgrading to sp3 with a D-Link DWA-110 usb wireless adapter. I couldn't find any error, and had to downgrade to sp2. Cheers!!
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:01 PM
  • I found this and it works....you first have to unplug USB device and fully uninstall the D-Link driver, next restart (even though not prompted), get the proper version of driver from D-link (mine was a DWL-g122 version A2) and download to a folder on C: drive, next plug in USB wireless device and wait for Window found new hardware device to pop up, select "no" for internet search, then select to "install from specific location", check "don't search i will choose driver", click on "have disk" and point to location where you saved the driver you got from D-Link and let it install. more or less a manually install of just the driver without the D-Link utility

it works great without running the D-Link extras and NO MORE ERROR MESSAGES!!!!

Friday, November 21, 2008 5:07 AM
  • Depending on hardware configuration I think SP3 messes with a load of USB based hardware. After I installed SP3 my keyboard died until I used the serial adapter. Good thing I have oodles of those things laying around.

Ridiculous.

Friday, November 21, 2008 7:06 PM