none
Installed memory 4GB (3.00 Usable) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 
    I have a problem which many of the people have but I want to find a better and quick answer to my exact problem.
    First of all, the problem is this
    I have a Custom-built Desktop PC with the following specs.
    Intel Dual Core Processor @ 2.00Ghz
    RAM 4.00 GB (3.00 GB usable)
    Graphic card: Nvidea Geforce 9400 GT.

So, the problem is as you can see, I have recently installed 4 GB Ram in my computer, When  I open my BIOS it detects both the RAM sticks-i.e- 2GB, 2GB each (they are a model of HP) (the RAMs are DDR2). But when I start my windows 7 and open the system properties, it says that only 3.00 GB is usable. And the problem for this is certainly not a bad RAM because 3 GBis usable so 1 GB of the supposedly bad RAM stick is usable.
    However, I found the problem when I open my "Resource Monitor", where in the memory tab it says that 1096 MB is "Hardware Reserved". This is too much as many other computers have only 2 mb or near to it "Hardware Reserved". I really need to solve it. Here are some points.

-Actually my mother board manual says that only 2 GB is supported but I heard that that limit isn't necessary to follow, and 3 GB is usable so it is already exceeding the limit.
    -I have windows 7 32-bit, which has a limit of 4GB and since I am not exceeding that , then that should not be the problem.
    -Some forums said that it might have been shared by the video adapter, but since it is a External one, then that shouldn't be the problem.
    -Many recommend to Update the BIOS, I haven't yet done that. But before that, I wanted to tell that my BIOS detects both the RAMs, It deosn't specifically say how much is usable, it just says the a total of 4096 is installed with 2gb in each.
    -AND the msconfig>boot>Advanced Options>unchecking thee Maximum Memory doesn't work.
    -Previosly I hade 1gb 1gb RAMs and in that case there was no such issue.

Plz answer urgently and basically I need to decide wether it is a software (Windows) problem or a Hardare or BIOS problem?
    Monday, May 20, 2013 11:09 PM

Answers

• Mmac360

As you are aware 32 bit can only Use approximately 3.25 gigs of ram.  Yours is "seeing" 3 gigs the other 0.25 gigs is probably shared video ram

This is a perfectly normal situation.  There is nothing wrong, and there is nothing you can do to change the fact.

Read about it here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/048ed81d-0e9a-471c-99fa-ca6c26c956d1/

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, May 20, 2013 11:34 PM

All replies

• Mmac360

As you are aware 32 bit can only Use approximately 3.25 gigs of ram.  Yours is "seeing" 3 gigs the other 0.25 gigs is probably shared video ram

This is a perfectly normal situation.  There is nothing wrong, and there is nothing you can do to change the fact.

Read about it here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/048ed81d-0e9a-471c-99fa-ca6c26c956d1/

Monday, May 20, 2013 11:34 PM
  • Mmac360

Well, I have a separate external graphic card with 512 MB Memory, it is not a shared video card. Moreover, why wasn't there such a problem when I had 2 GB RAM, why didn't the Windows 7 32-bit reserve 1GB for hardware then?
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:06 AM
  • Mmac360

Did you read the link?  Most (dare I say ALL) video cards have some shared memory even if they are discrete.

So basically you are going through all this for ~250 Mb of ram.

See DominicP post here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/maximum-ram-for-windows-7-32-bit/4286bbfa-6851-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

And please read here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978610

And here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/285279-30-maximum

32-bit Windows has an address space of 4GB. Part of that is used by system BIOSes and graphics memory.

With a 256MB graphics card about 3.3-3.5GB of RAM can be addressed and used, assuming you have 4GB fitted.

If you fit a graphics card with 1GB of memory only about 2.6-2.8GB of the RAM would be addressable and usable.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:16 AM
  • Mmac360

Did you read the link?  Most (dare I say ALL) video cards have some shared memory even if they are discrete.

So basically you are going through all this for ~250 Mb of ram.

See DominicP post here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/maximum-ram-for-windows-7-32-bit/4286bbfa-6851-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

And please read here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978610

And here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/285279-30-maximum

32-bit Windows has an address space of 4GB. Part of that is used by system BIOSes and graphics memory.

With a 256MB graphics card about 3.3-3.5GB of RAM can be addressed and used, assuming you have 4GB fitted.

If you fit a graphics card with 1GB of memory only about 2.6-2.8GB of the RAM would be addressable and usable.

Well, thankyou for your answers and I agree, but one more question..

When I had 2 GB RAM or When I remove one of the 2 GB RAM stick and insert the 1GB ram stick to make it 3.00 GB installed.NOW when I open the system properties it says 3.00 GB ram (without mentioning how much is usable) and the resource monitor tells that 3 MB is Hardware reserved. Why wouldn't the graphic card use as much memory in this case as it does in case of 4 GB RAM installed ?

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Mmac360

It would take me a week to explain all the possible scenarios that would explain it.  Suffice it to say your situation is normal and cannot be changed.

Good Luck

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:54 PM
  • When I had 2 GB RAM or When I remove one of the 2 GB RAM stick and insert the 1GB ram stick to make it 3.00 GB installed.

Good alternative. That gives you 3G of RAM, and the other 2G stick available for a different computer.

Link: Memory Limits for Windows Releases   The 32 Bit Window 7 restriction is stated to be 4GB. Sounds like the hw is the 'gate', not Windows per se.

I had the 4GB -> 3GB RAM dilemma as well, with its letdown feeling. What's encouraging is Windows 7 64 Bit- 8GB, 16GB and 192GB. I was forced to buy a new computer when the old one died. It has much better memory capabilities.... a nice touch. It's like taking off a hurting, tight pair of shoes and putting on ones that are luxurious and comfortable.

used: Dos, MSDos, Win3, Win95, WinXP, Vista, Win7, and Win8 || AIX/Linux, etc: HP AIX, IBM AIX, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Puppy Linux, OS/2, VM/CMS, SAP

• Edited by DanMP Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:41 AM
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:31 AM
  • When I had 2 GB RAM or When I remove one of the 2 GB RAM stick and insert the 1GB ram stick to make it 3.00 GB installed.

Good alternative. That gives you 3G of RAM, and the other 2G stick available for a different computer.

Of course, if you can, upgrade to Win7 64 Bit. Then you can use many GBytes of RAM, if your hardware allows it.

Link: Memory Limits for Windows Releases   The 32 Bit Window 7 restriction is stated to be 4GB. Maybe the hw is the 'gate', not Windows per se.

What's encouraging is Windows 7 64 Bit- 8GB, 16GB and 192GB.

used: Dos, MSDos, Win3, Win95, WinXP, Vista, Win7, and Win8 || AIX/Linux, etc: HP AIX, IBM AIX, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Puppy Linux, OS/2, VM/CMS, SAP

WELL...This is pissing me off! I Installed the 64-bit Windows 7 and it didn't work still the same issue...still 1 gb is reserved for hardware....but I think I now know where it is going...my graphics card....because I checked my graphic cards approx memory using dxiag with 2 gb ram and it was something like 1200 mb and after 4 gb ram it is increased to around 1700 MB. AND my BIOS does not have any memory remampping option so I think I am stcuk with it :(  any other option? and will this RAM being used up by my graphichs card be helpful?

WHAT DO I DO?!! How do I tell my Graphic card not to use so much of my RAM?!!!! and again this problem is not with 3 gb installed or 2 gb installed ....

• Edited by Mmac360 Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:38 AM
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:38 AM
  • Just from perusing the forums a bit, I found an interesting thread...

It's for a different card: Quadro 160M video card... but the same manufacturer. It appears that your nVidia card driver might have memory leak problems...

Ref: nVidia Geoforce forum thread

To me, it explains why it consumes different amounts of memory at different times.

• Edited by DanMP Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:30 PM
    Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Just from perusing the forums a bit, I found an interesting thread...

It's for a different card: Quadro 160M video card... but the same manufacturer. It appears that your nVidia card driver might have memory leak problems...

Ref: nVidia Geoforce forum thread

To me, it explains why it consumes different amounts of memory at different times.

Well, I don't think its that because my system in not crashing, its working just fine..... by the way here is some more detailed information.

.http://postimg.org/image/q9c9bm2q9/

and here is the GPUZ report http://postimg.org/image/761rm4zn1/

So it is confirmed that 1 gb of my Memory is being used by the Graphic card as "shared memory" increasing its total approximate memory to 1700 MB (approx) now either plz tell me how to fix this and if not, plz tell me will this increased memory in my graphic card instead of my actual system Memory be helpful in anyway for me especially in gaming.?

I mean if the system requirement of game says

4 gb RAM

512 mb graphic

and in this case I do have the 512 Graphic RAM but not enough System RAM...

Sunday, May 26, 2013 9:56 PM
  • WELL...This is pissing me off! I Installed the 64-bit Windows 7 and it didn't work still the same issue...still 1 gb is reserved for hardware....but I think I now know where it is going...my graphics card....because I checked my graphic cards approx memory using dxiag with 2 gb ram and it was something like 1200 mb and after 4 gb ram it is increased to around 1700 MB. AND my BIOS does not have any memory remampping option so I think I am stcuk with it :(  any other option? and will this RAM being used up by my graphichs card be helpful?

WHAT DO I DO?!! How do I tell my Graphic card not to use so much of my RAM?!!!! and again this problem is not with 3 gb installed or 2 gb installed ....

Ran across these memory-usage specs for Video and thought of this thread. Clearly your PC is not the same... maybe it fits, maybe it doesn't.. It's the first time I've heard of this happening...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graphic Controller
    Video chipsets:
    • Intel GMA 950 - integrated graphics chipset

For models without a separate video card, memory supports both system andvideo. System memory used by video may be up to 32MB if the system has 128MB installed, up to 160MB if the system has 256MB installed, and up to 192MB if the system has 512MB or more system memory installed, depending on video mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spec from an old IBM Thinkpad pc, model X60s. Link: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?DocID=PD009699

• Proposed as answer by PCWorkspace Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by PCWorkspace Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:21 PM
    Saturday, June 8, 2013 11:54 AM
  • I haven't read all the 'old' threads but if no answer generally, consider that one would need a 64 bit processor to accommodate a Windows 64 bit install, and/or a redundant main-board may have a maximum RAM capacity of 4Gb. Steve
    • Edited by PCWorkspace Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:23 PM