none
Problems with Windows Anytime Upgrade Licensing after re-install

Question

• OK this is a little convoluted, but here it goes.

1.  I purchased Windows Vista Home Premium, installed and validated.

2.  I did online purchase to install Windows Vista Ultimate.

3.  I installed upgrade using Windows Anytime Upgrade Disk.

4.  I used license file in my digital locker.

5.  I had hardware problems that appeared to cause windows problems (could not find drivers).

6.  Solved hardware problem with new motherboard.

7.  Reinstalled Windows Vista Ultimate from Windows Anytime Upgrade Disk.

8.  Windows wants to be re-activated.

9.  I tried my license file in my digital locker, but it says:

"Can Not Install License Package"

"this license package can not be installed from the edition of Windows which you are using."

10. I've gone around with both ARVATO (the reseller) and Microsoft.

a.  ARVATO says they cannot provide me a new product key and that I need to reinstall Home Premium, activate it and then go through the Home Premium to Ultimate upgrade again.  This requires wiping the disk and starting over.  YUCK!!

b.  Microsoft says there is nothing they can do and want me to talk to ARVATO again.

This just sucks.  After having hardware and OS problems, my computer is now working perfectly, except I might have to start over all because of a horrible licensing scheme.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 3:53 AM

Answers

• Hi rcfun33,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand that we mainly discuss Windows Vista technical issues in this forum. As your issue in on the non-tech part, we are not the best resource to troubleshoot this issue. I suggest contacting our Activation Center 888-571-2048 for direct assistance.

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:59 AM

All replies

• If you did not install and activate the original qualifying Vista operating system before upgrading to Vista Ultimate, you'll need to purchase a "full version" license for Vista Ultimate in order to solve your issue.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:31 AM
  • I had succesfully installed the original Vista Home Premium and activated it.  I had also successfully upgraded to Vista Ultimate using the Windows Upgrade Anytime disk and activated it.

Everything was perfect for a while. 

Then I started to have hardware problems.  I guess all the crashing caused OS problems, because it got to where it wasn't recognizing or finding drivers for any USB devices.

I reinstalled Vista Ultimate using the Windows Upgrade Anytime disk.  This solved all of my problems and the computer is working perfectly now.

However, now Vista wants me to activate it again.  It appears that it doesn't understand that it was an upgrade, so the license file in my digital locker doesn't work. 

ARVATO, the reseller, claims that I need to reinstall Home Premium and activate it then go through the upgrade process again.  I don't want to do this to solve a licensing problem.  I was having a bunch of technical problems (both hardware and OS) and finally have those solved.  I would love to just be able to plug in an activation code and be done.

I'm tempted to ask for a refund on my upgrade and purchase a "full version" license.

Is there any other solution?

-Dave
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:32 PM
  • You can reset your Windows Vista Ultimate activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Hi rcfun33,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand that we mainly discuss Windows Vista technical issues in this forum. As your issue in on the non-tech part, we are not the best resource to troubleshoot this issue. I suggest contacting our Activation Center 888-571-2048 for direct assistance.

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:59 AM
  • I Think you have to re install vista as home premium then use the digital locker licence to upgrade to ultimate with the anytime upgrade disc
    Monday, July 07, 2008 7:05 AM
  • Mr. Quan

There is nothing more technical than not being able to restore an operating system that you HAVE PAID for.

People at Microsoft are forgetting the people that mean the most.....The CUSTOMERS.

I have been trying to reinstall my (PAID FOR) Vista Ultimate for 2 days and the help from Microsoft has been zilch

With all the problems I have been having with Vista and now this, I think I can speak for many that my next computer

and Operating system will not be Microsoft.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:50 AM
  • Hi Carey,

I am using the vista Home premium OEM and then upgraded my vista to Ultimate throguh the Anytime upgrade and activated the Ultimate too.I had some problems with Ultimate and then i have  did the factory resettings to my laptop and got back my Home premium OEM and it shows activated ...If i try to do the upgrade again with the digital locker licensing to Ultimate i wont be having any key issues right

Pl let me know so that i can procced with the upgrade  

Thanks
    Friday, October 09, 2009 3:28 PM
  • booo you people dont get it. So bye.
    • Edited by Kiki la flaca Sunday, November 08, 2009 9:20 PM shosh
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Hi rcfun33,

Info that follows is quoted from documents on Paul Thurrott's website

Method #2 Registry hack

Note: This workaround is not supported by Microsoft but my understanding is that it has a 100 percent success rate. If you are nervous that performing this workaround will lead to later complications--unlikely, but not impossible--please use Method #3, below, instead. Method #3 is supported by Microsoft.

Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)
    Close RegEdit.

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.

In the command line window, type: slmgr /rearm

Then tap ENTER and wait for the "Command completed successfully" dialog

Then, close the command line window and reboot. When Windows 7 reboots, run the Activate Windows utility, type in your product key and activate windows.

If it works, you're all set. You're done. Congratulations.

Method #3 The good old "double install" method

If the above two methods fail, you can always fall back on the old "double install" method that I previously documented for Windows Vista. This workaround is fully supported by Microsoft. There's already a whole article dedicated to this topic, but here's the short version since you've already done the initial install:

1. Insert the Windows 7 Setup DVD in the optical drive if it isn't already there and choose Run Setup from the auto-run dialog that appears. Or, if it is already inserted, navigate to the optical drive in Computer and double-click is icon to trigger Setup.

2. At the appropriate stage of Setup, choose Upgrade (and not Custom). Windows 7 will install as before, though you might notice that it takes quite a bit longer this time. Because you're upgrading this time, you won't be prompted to enter your user name or most of the other information that you need to provide during a clean install. Using the user name (and password) you created during the first install, logon to Windows 7.

Now, activation will work. To activate Windows 7 immediately, type activate in Start Menu Search. This brings up the Activate Windows utility. Type in your product key and attempt to activate Windows.

I have personally used both these methods, both work.

Regards,

Oceana

Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:22 AM