none
How to turn off Volume nearly full notification RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem where video playback (mpeg 2 and divx) stutters every minute on Vista! It's very strange - video playback is very smooth except exactly every minute, there a slight jutter/stutter for about 1 or 2 seconds. I'm pretty sure it's not a codec issuse as I've tried quite a few different codecs.

It's a fresh install of Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit. It's actually a dual boot with XP also installed and video playback works perfectly on the same machine with the same codecs when booted in XP!

Here's what I've done so far to try diagnose the problem:
    I've looked at taskmanager and I can see there's a slight spike in the CPU graph around the same time as the jitter.

Because I don't have much visibility in taskmanager, I downloaded sysinternals process monitor. It gives great visibility into all the calls all executables makes on a system. I can see one executable (explorer.exe) call the function queryfullsizeinformationvolume every minute at the exact time the video playback stutters! It calls it twice, once for my C drive and once for my D drive. From Googling I can see this function call is realted to Vista trying to figure out if I'm running low in diskspace. Is there a way to turn this off on Vista. I have read a way to do it for XP by modifying the registry and tried the same approach for Vista but it didn't work. I'm not running low in diskspace by the way - I have over 400G free on one drive and 10G free on the other (the XP partition).

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this? Is there an easy way to turn off this checking every minute. I'd even be happy to be able to change the frequency of the check from every 1 minute to every 1 day or something like that.

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I do not have much information about the function queryfullsizeinformationvolume. However, you can try the following update to see if it helps.

A reliability and performance update is available for Windows Vista SP1-based computers
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952709/en-us

This update improves the performance of Windows Vista SP1-based computers by reducing audio and video (AV) stuttering. Such AV stuttering may occur when the audio or video component is streaming high definition content from a Windows Vista SP1-based computer that has a NVIDIA network adapter nForce driver version 67.5.4.0 that is installed to a Windows Media Center Extender device. 

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:43 AM