none
DPM 2016 - DR Scenarios RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I am looking for some advice on how to proceed with protecting DPM server.

Specifically, I currently have DPM 2016 backing up an entire 2 node S2D cluster (DPM, DB, and Backup drive vhd's are all on CSVs).  I also have it replicating backups to Azure.

What is the best method to protect this from the potential failure of the entire cluster (say a fire).  I can put DPM in azure as a secondary, but I don't necessarily need the secondary to replicate the local disk drive backups from the primary, as I could recover from the cloud copies.

In this worst case, I am looking for a solution that would allow me to at the minimum get access to the online replicas of data that would reside in Azure, which I could then use to rebuild the entire environment.

I believe I would setup a secondary DPM server in Azure, and have it start backing up the primary DPM server itself (deselect the DPM servers local backup disks).  I could then restore the primary from the secondary, azure located, server, and then use the primary to restore from the online copies?  

Is this a viable solution, and what other options are there?  I want to avoid using anything past Azure VMs and the Azure backup storage that DPM is replicating data to.

Thanks

Saturday, January 5, 2019 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

There is no need to use a secondary DPM server if you already have everything backed up in your Azure Backup Vault. What you could do is restore the data from another DPM server. If a disaster strikes, you would need to deploy a new dedicated AD domain with DPM server (or MABS) and Azure Agent installed. Once installed you will have an option to Add External DPM on the Recovery tab. You would need to download new vault credentials and use the same passphrase as you used with your production DPM server (make sure you save the passphrase, you should not lose it). Once that is done you can start restoring your data from Azure.

Would highly recommend that you test your disaster recovery plan, so if a true disaster occurs you will know all the necessary steps to restore your environment. 

Hope this helps.

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:14 PM
    Sunday, January 6, 2019 10:39 AM
  • Hello Chris!

First of all it is very important that have your DPM database backed up, and it is recommended to back it up to another site, for example the Azure Backup Vault is a great choice.

Basically if you have the replica data and the DPM database backed up to another site, you do not need another DPM server as Matej also stated above, having all the data in Azure is good enough, you can also replicate the data on Azure to different Azure regions if you really want more high availability.

If let's say you do not have Azure in your picture, then you would probably want to install a secondary DPM server on another site and have it back up the primary DPM server.

A disaster recovery plan should always be well documented and tested, so I recommend you do this.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:14 PM
    Sunday, January 6, 2019 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if you have any update on this?

Friday, January 25, 2019 12:10 AM
  • Hello!

Just checking in to see if the previous replies were helpful to you?

(Don't forget to mark as answer)

Friday, February 15, 2019 9:09 AM