none
MDT and creating a 3 disk deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I know this may have been asked before, but I want to take a 12gb wim and import it to MDT, then create a 3 disk deployment media set. I understand MDT can be used to split the wim into swm files, but I am unable to find step-by-step instructions to do this. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 12:38 PM

All replies

• https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/543/Splitting-WIM-images-in-MDT-2013-Update-2

Should still work.

• Proposed as answer by GAn8tive Wednesday, August 29, 2018 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:55 PM
  • I've read the article, but it doesn't explain how to import the .swm files. I understand you may need to add .wim into the name, but how do you get MDT to see and import the .swm files, step-by-step, please.

Thank you for helping.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:58 PM
  • 1. Navigate to your share.  Open up the Control folder and find the Settings.xml file.  In the Settings.xml find <SkipWimSplit>True</SkipWimSplit> and change it to <SkipWimSplit>False</SkipWimSplit>

2. Import your 12 GB .WIM File.
    3. Add wim file to your Task Sequence
    4. Create a selection profile OfflineMedia for your Media deployment.
        Select your OS, TS, Drivers (make sure you have your winpe drivers too), Selection Profiles, Packages, Applications... You get the idea
    5. Create a new media deployment at C:\Media001 and select the OfflineMedia selection profile.
    6. In Advanced Configuration > Media, right click on the Media00X and choose properties.  Make all the necessary changes, setting your CS.ini, Bootstrap.ini, Windows PE configs, Windows PE drivers...
    7. Once done, right click the Media00X again and select Update Media Content.

Once it completes click finish.  Navigate to C:\Media001 that you created ( or whatever you called the folder) and open the LiteTouchMedia.iso file.  Navigate to <Mounted Path>\Deploy\Operating Systems\<OS Folder Name> and inside that folder, you should see .swm files.

Once you are done looking at it, you can close out of the ISO and unmount it.  then burn the ISO to however many DVD's this will need.
    • Edited by LawsonT Wednesday, April 11, 2018 7:28 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 7:27 PM
  • got ya. so, if I understand correctly, the MDT won't create multiple ISOs, but will auto create the swm files necessary to create the multiple disks myself.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 8:57 PM
  • Yes. One iso with everything broken down into manageable pieces.
    • Proposed as answer by GAn8tive Wednesday, August 29, 2018 1:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by GAn8tive Wednesday, August 29, 2018 1:31 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 1:55 AM
  • The proposed method still works, but it creates 1GB files (build 8450).  But, it is not obvious what to do with the swm files.  Do I just copy the excess .swm files to subsequent discs and the process will prompt me to insert a new disc?  Or do I need to add some logic the TS somehow?
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 1:36 PM
  • I am assuming that you are talking about burning the ISO to DVD's, then yes, it will prompt you to insert the next disk.

LawsonT

Thursday, August 30, 2018 4:27 AM
  • This does not explain how to split the DVD discs so that the deployment requests multiple disks to complete the imaging.  I've edited my ISO to only include the files I need for the first disk, but the TS just fails and does not ask for the other files.
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 6:27 PM