none
Network Location - set all new to Private RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way in Windows 10, 1903 to make it so all networks it is connected to get automatically set to private?

ETA:  Or a way to delete the Public profile?

• Edited by com-guy Sunday, July 21, 2019 6:11 PM
    Sunday, July 21, 2019 5:57 PM

All replies

• In Start Search type secpol.msc and hit the enter key.

In the left pane, click/tap on Network List Manager Policies.

You can click/tap on All Networks if you wanted to apply this to all networks on your PC instead of a single network.

Set to  Private

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, July 22, 2019 1:17 AM
  • Hello,

Here are some other ways to implement your needs.

How to Set Network Location to be Public or Private in Windows 10

Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 22, 2019 2:09 AM
  • In Start Search type secpol.msc and hit the enter key.

In the left pane, click/tap on Network List Manager Policies.

You can click/tap on All Networks if you wanted to apply this to all networks on your PC instead of a single network.

Set to  Private

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

That's where I used to do this.....  The option is no longer there under all networks to set a default location.
    Monday, July 22, 2019 12:06 PM
  • Hello,

Here are some other ways to implement your needs.

How to Set Network Location to be Public or Private in Windows 10

Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

None of these options take into account future networks except for possibly the vbs script option.

The trouble I'm having, is that I have some smaller clients running peer to peer networks that use their ISP's modem/router/firewall.  When their ISP swaps out this device do to being defective, or just troubleshooting, then my clients's PC's all go Public Network and none of the shares work.   The setting I need for this scenario is to have Windows identify all networks, current and future as private.

• Edited by com-guy Monday, July 22, 2019 12:31 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2019 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking the current situation of your problem.
    Have you tried the vbs script method?

Best regards,
    Leon

Monday, July 29, 2019 2:51 AM