none
Hardware keyboard and Keyboard on screen not functioning RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:
    I recieved a HP touch screen laptop for my birthday in April. Lately, they keyboard has been a bit fritzy. I can usually put the laptop in sleep mode, wake it back up, and it be fine. Now, the actual laptop keyboard will only process basic one letter commands (such as when I have it on the internet and hit a letter, say "b", it will bookmark the page) and display "?" in the place of a letter, if it even does that. The on-screen keyboard is doing the same thing.

I have done a refresher reboot of the laptop, and it allowed me to input my password with the laptop keyboard. Though, once it booted up, it would only do the one letter commands and display "?" in place of anything else. I have restarted it, shut it down completely, let it go into sleep/hibernate mode. Still nothing. This is my daily laptop and I need it to function. Is there anything else I can do to get it to work?

It was bought in April, so it is still under warranty.

Anything helps.

Thanks,

Kasey

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:58 PM

Answers

• when I have it on the internet and hit a letter, say "b", it will bookmark the page)

In what browser?  Sounds like you could be generating a  Ctrl-b  for a browser which does "bookmarks" when that keyboard shortcut is used.  If so, you would note a Ctrl- key selected on the On-Screen Keyboard (the real one, osk.exe, not the TIP).  In any case, a workaround for this condition of a "stuck" modifier key is to press and release the opposite one.  It usually happens after you have been using a repeated operation (or just one but holding a Ctrl- key down too much).  Fortunately we have two Ctrl- keys on the real keyboard so using the opposite one to unstick the other is easy to do.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:11 PM

All replies

• when I have it on the internet and hit a letter, say "b", it will bookmark the page)

In what browser?  Sounds like you could be generating a  Ctrl-b  for a browser which does "bookmarks" when that keyboard shortcut is used.  If so, you would note a Ctrl- key selected on the On-Screen Keyboard (the real one, osk.exe, not the TIP).  In any case, a workaround for this condition of a "stuck" modifier key is to press and release the opposite one.  It usually happens after you have been using a repeated operation (or just one but holding a Ctrl- key down too much).  Fortunately we have two Ctrl- keys on the real keyboard so using the opposite one to unstick the other is easy to do.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:11 PM
  • Hi,

Apologize for the late reply.

What is the situation by now?

In addition to what Robert suggested, please also take a try to run the hardware and device troubleshooter.

When running the troubleshooter please make sure you have connected to the Internet.

Or we may consider to make a contact with the retailer.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:41 AM