none
how to shorten long filename when rename is not available

Question

• I have a pdf file which has a very long name, and when I try to use the rename option using right mouse click, this rename option is

not available. I need to rename the long filename so that I can open the file for reading.

How do you overcome this problem?

Sunday, February 19, 2017 4:27 PM

All replies

• Hi ekson.

Are you able to rename the file by clicking it and pressing F2?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Sunday, February 19, 2017 5:11 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to take ownership of the folders?

Right-click > Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner and Take ownership as yourself (not administrator).

In addition, I also found several users who had the similar issue as yours, they gave the advices may help you, please refer to the link:

"File name too long" unable to rename or delete the file

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-files/file-name-too-long-unable-to-rename-or-delete-the/bbc7419e-23fe-4e09-a381-720eeec9670f

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:19 AM
  • This is a very annoying paradox, a file with too many characters can be created, but you can't delete or rename it. Try renaming it with Long Path Tool.
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:31 PM
  • Long Path Tool allows you to rename, copy or delete long path files.
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 7:04 AM
  • I would like to suggest you, try LongPathTool program to resolve this issue. This tool is very helpful to resolve the issue.

Saturday, May 19, 2018 3:23 PM
  • Rename the directories in the path to single character names has worked for me.  C:\path\alongtheway\canget\toolong\whenthefile\withthereallylongname\isnestedtoodeep\<filewithlongname>

becomes C:\x\x\x\x\x\x\x\<filewithlongname>

(I know this is an older thread, but hopefully it helps someone along the way)

Sunday, July 1, 2018 4:54 PM
  • Thank you for this fix I renamed the folder name and was able to rename the files.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:31 PM
  • Thanks
    Monday, July 23, 2018 11:02 AM
  • Rename the directories in the path to single character names has worked for me.  C:\path\alongtheway\canget\toolong\whenthefile\withthereallylongname\isnestedtoodeep\<filewithlongname>

becomes C:\x\x\x\x\x\x\x\<filewithlongname>

(I know this is an older thread, but hopefully it helps someone along the way)

Jmc is on the money here... don't go downloading software to fix this problem, you don't need it!... shorten the length of the folder titles leading up to where the doc is located... I get this all  the time... in shared folders where idiots run away with themselves by titling folders / docs up with war and peace... the route to the document is too long for the document to be opened, deleted, or anything... simply delete some of the crap to shorten the route to the document and the document will become accessible!  It DOES work!

• Edited by PJ372 Monday, August 20, 2018 10:58 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2018 10:30 AM
  • I suggest you try Long path tool is the very good program for easily delete, copy & rename long path files, error, unlock solution.
    Try it and solve your problem.
    I used long path tool and I solve my error, unlock problem solution.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2018 4:07 PM
  • Thank you yes had that myself, exactly correct 
    Sunday, September 30, 2018 1:14 PM
  • One of the methods to backup files is to copy and paste the users folder to another drive.

If you attempt this it could have many interrupts:

duplicate files, long file names etc.

If you backup the users folder instead or or in addition to making back up images this tool will be useful as when there is an interrupt for long file name it does not give you an option to rename the file. 

Monday, October 1, 2018 12:05 AM
  • Genius.

Thank you

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 7:50 AM
  • Just Open that file with Winrar. Rename it there and make a .rar copy of that file. then open .rar file and archive that somewhere.
    • Proposed as answer by Ahtasham Bajwa Sunday, November 25, 2018 2:27 PM
    Sunday, November 25, 2018 2:27 PM
  • Please try Longpathtool program it will solve you issue.
    Sunday, January 6, 2019 10:06 AM
  • It costs money to use LongPathTool over $50 for a one time use!!!  Yowzaa, not a practical option as I see it.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:56 PM
  • It costs money to use LongPathTool over $50 for a one time use!!!  Yowzaa, not a practical option as I see it.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:58 PM
  • Download 7zip , open the program and go to the file location and right click on the file and rename it.
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 4:48 PM
  • Download 7zip , open the program and go to the file location and right click on the file and rename it.

it worked for me thank you.
    Monday, May 27, 2019 7:12 AM