none
Dual Monitor issues

General discussion

• I'm using Win7 32bit.  My vid card is an NVidia GeForce 7600GT.  I have dual ViewSonic VP2030's.

When my computer puts the monitors into sleep mode and I "wake" them up, often the primary and secondary have switched places.  All the programs I had running are still open but the monitors are swapped.  I have to go into change display settings to get them back.

This has happened about 6 times in the last few days.  Today when it happened it also changed the resolution of both monitors.

Curious if this has happened to anyone else.

Monday, March 16, 2009 3:17 PM

All replies

• Now to make things even more interesting, not only does Win7 swap my Primary monitor around at will but it has also started to change resolutions on it's own.  A few times now after the monitors going into power saver when I bring them back up they monitors are swapped and one will be at 1024x768 resolution rather than the 1600x1200 resolution it was originally at. 

I tried to install the newest Vista drivers and the Win7 Beta drivers from nVidia but they both failed to successfully load.  I had to go back to the drivers that are built into Win7.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Sounds like an NVIDIA problem, you might want to visit often and download vista drivers until Windows 7 drivers are out of pre-release.

IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Whatever I need a new web server, the antique IBM 300GL has a 137GB disk limit, for my chess site. I wanted to post many more downloadable files, the existing 30GB disk is insufficient.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Is there a  trick to installing Vista drivers in Win7?  Because I tried 3 times to install them and each time it came back saying the drivers did not match my hardware. 

Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Try removing the old drivers manually, and if necessary use the compatibility mode to install them.

IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Whatever I need a new web server, the antique IBM 300GL has a 137GB disk limit, for my chess site. I wanted to post many more downloadable files, the existing 30GB disk is insufficient.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 12:11 AM
  • I have a Nvidia 9800 GTX and Nvidia has beta drivers for that card on their site.  They are unsigned drivers, but working with Win7 I blew through that option and installed them.  Win7 natvie drivers worked fine for me, in the area of resolutions of my dual monitors (22WS MAG, 1600x1200res) and (Acer 19 1440x900 res) I set the resolutions myself versus the default.
    I know it's not the same card, but I agree it may be the drivers.  I have a game that required me to get the nividia drivers in the first place, or would not have even installed them.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:16 AM