none
Dell e521 Sigmatel Audio issues

Question

• After searching around the forums I found a couple of posts related to the issue I'm having, but no definitive solution so I thought I'd post some specifics of my problem and hope someone will have worked something out by now. 

I have a Dell Dimension E521 and installed the RC with no issues whatsoever (everything worked 1st time, I'm impressed!).  The only thing is, the default driver for the Sigmatel audio chip in my dell was only supporting the 2 channel stereo output jack.  There are a few different jacks coming from this chip, and I use the 5.1 jack under XP and it worked just fine.  Now when I plug my 5.1 system into the 5.1 jack, Windows 7 doesn't recognize the hardware (just says no device connected).  I went ahead and tried installing the 64-bit Vista driver from Dell hoping that would solve the issue, but it just led to another problem.  Now when I use the 5.1 jack Windows recognizes the hardware, but when testing the sound by clicking on the speaker icons I only get audio when clicking the rear left and rear right speakers but the audio is heard coming from the front left/right speakers.   Since that wasn't working out for me, I've connected my 5.1 system to the stereo L/R output jack for the time being and set the hardware to "fake" the 5.1 by just sending the L/R audio to the rear speakers and mix the 2 channels for the centre speaker.  Unfortunately, my sub is not putting out very much bass in this configuration.

Does anyone know of a solution for these Sigmatel audio chips yet?  I'd love to be able to use my 5.1 system as it was intended but I'm at a loss....

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Rob.
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 11:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

Thank you for your post.

To ensure the device work properly, an appropriate driver is needed. I have also searched on DELL site and found there is no Windows 7 Drivers for this desktop:

Dimension E521 Drivers

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Just for a check, please try the Windows Vista and Windows XP driver for this audio card and see if it works. You may install it with Compatibility Mode or by right-clicking on the installation package and selecting “Run as Administrator”.

If the issue persists, it is recommended that you contact DELL regarding this and see if they have some constructive suggestions on this.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:12 AM