none
Integrate Memtest 86+ into BCD RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible? SO I won't have to always launch memtest from a USB drive in order to test RAM.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, I think, that the bestway is install Grub > memtest86 have support in Grub, but not in BCD...
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 11:46 AM
  • then I would have two boot loader. Don't really want that but if it is the only way I would like to have it setup the following way:

BCD is on MBR and then I would add an entry to BCD to call the GRUB boot loader. So I could choose between Win 7 and GRUB.

Is this possible, and how would I achieve it?

Sunday, March 14, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

you will have Grub and from Grub you call Windows 7. But I don´t know, how Install only GRUB (without some Linux distributin..but I think, that you can have small Linux Distribution on cca 1GB partition..:)
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, March 22, 2010 6:52 AM
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

The Windows Memory Diagnostics is integrated to BCD. Here is the more information:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766223(WS.10).aspx

If you would like to integrate third party memory tool, as mentioned above, another boot loader may be needed.
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, March 22, 2010 6:52 AM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:07 AM
  • Hi There seem to be 2 issues here. [1] Performing a low level memory test regardless of the operating system installed. This tests lowlevel memory function, integrity and addressing etc [2] Booting into a specific OS (Windows or Linux) to use OS-specific system tools so that potential problems relating to how the OS uses memory can be tested. For example, if a memory testing tool consistently fails in Windows but not Linux (or vice versa) after running the test for 24 hours in each OS, then you will know the problem is OS-specific, perhaps related to kernel or recent OS updates. Regarding bootloaders. One way I have found around bootloader issues is to create a small (2-10MB) MSDOS622 partition as C:\ because both Windows and Linux read MSDOS partitions with ease. Next configure contiguous partitions using the tool of choice and using Linux assign the OS to be used in each partition. Next load the Windows OS of choice. Then load Linux and GRUB will quite happily interface with Microsoft OS giving you an initial choice of booting into DOS, Win or Linux. Failing this you can use an Ubuntu LiveCD (download it as an ISO and then burn it to CD/DVD) to run a memtest under linux. This then gives you the option to: (a) determine if memory failure is OS specific or generic; (b) if it is the latter, the problem probably lies with a faulty RAM stick. Hope this helps. Ivan T Mi Privaci. "Just another day in binary paradise ..."
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:38 AM
  • A late answer but posted for anyone if useful.

Yes it is, and it's easy. I just added it to Windows 8.1 boot menu via bcd, the same setup will work for any Windows from 7 onward, perhaps Vista if that uses BCD too. (XP works but needs different commands as it uses NTLDR not BCD, look up running Grub4DOS from XP NTLDR boot for that if you need it.)

Here's how.

1. Look online, find "grub4DOS" and download (small zip file of binaries, I used version 0.4.4). You need the files "grldr" and "grldr.mbr".
    2. Look online again for Memtest86+ downloads. Grab the zipped binary download. You need to unzip it and get the file "memtest.bin" (you can rename it).
    3. Copy and paste the text shown below, into a text file called "menu.lst" (it's the commands for grub4DOS, you can edit them). You will need to change the text (hd0,1) to reflect the drive and partition number that *nix will recognise. At worst, experiment, or do what I did and add 4 entries one after the other, and see which one works :) If you choose the wrong partition you (probably) won't hurt it, you can go back and correct things.  You can also edit this file in many other ways.
    4. Put these 4 files in the root of any partition. It must be formatted so *nix can read it, ie not NTFS. FAT or FAT32 are safe bets. I created a small FAT32 partition. Use Diskmgmt.msc or DISKPART to give it a drive letter (I'll use X:)
    5. Now open a CMD prompt as administrator, and use bcdedit to add the entries shown below. They will cause the system to boot onto partition X: + boot path "grldr.mbr". Grub4DOS will run, and based on menu.lst it will immediately open memtest as the default option.
    6. Finally when it's tested, reboot to your normal OS and remove the drive letter from X: using diskmgmt.msc or DISKPART again.

That's all there is to it. Tested and works. If your current version of WIndows doesn;t use these exact commands, look up Grub4DOS and find what you need to do to run Grub4DOS from a Windows based system - there are versions for NTLDR (Windows XP) as well.

TEXT FILE CONTENTS FOR menu.lst (create a text file with these in it, and edit as needed. You *WILL* need to change the (hd0,1) part most of the time to point at whatever partition your files are on):

timeout 1
    default 0

title MemTest86+
    kernel (hd0,1)/memtest.bin
    lock

title Reboot
    reboot

title Shut down
    halt

BCDEDIT commands (enter in an administrator CMD prompt):

bcdedit.exe /create /d "Memtest86+" /application bootsector
    	(this displays a new {GUID}, use that GUID in the following commands)
    bcdedit.exe /set {GUID} device partition X:
    	(or use "device boot" instead if not a partition)
    bcdedit.exe /set {GUID} path \grldr.mbr
    bcdedit.exe /displayorder {GUID} /addlast

You can use bcdedit /store F:\Boot\BCD ..... to work on a BCD store that isn't your current boot disk if needed.

• Proposed as answer by Stilezy Friday, May 30, 2014 12:19 PM
    • Edited by Stilezy Friday, May 30, 2014 12:27 PM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 12:18 PM