Windows 7 Won't work with USR5461 Wireless Printer Server RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Windows 7 Vista Ultimate today and was trying to print wirelessly using my USR5461 wireless router/printer server.
    My Printer is HP Laserjet P1006.
    Following the "Add a printer" Wizard can successfully add the printer to the "devices and printers" folder, but it just WONT print (when I print something the print job is in the printer window but NOTHING will print).
    To clarify: The printer server has no problem printing using Windows XP or Vista.
    Also: The printer has no problem printing when wire-connected to the computer as a USB printer.
    I wonder if there is any way to solve this problem, I have gone over the similar trouble shooting in thsi forum (vista problem) but it won't work.
    I am not using any antivirus software, other firewalls, or thirdparty softwares etc. The firmware of the router is newest.
    Any suggestion / troubleshooting step is highly appreciated!
    If any "narrow down" steps need to be taken, Please post so that I can perform. Thank you!
    Monday, November 2, 2009 10:38 AM

Answers

• The option is under Sharing tab in the Printer Properties. Please turn on the host machine and locate the shared printer, then right click it and open Properties. You can find the option in Sharing tab.

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

If the issue persists, I suggest you refer to the link below to recreate a shared printer on the host machine.

Thanks,
    Novak
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, November 9, 2009 8:40 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:16 AM

All replies

• According to U.S. Robotics @ http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5461 it's not compatible with Windows 7.

You need to contact U.S. Robtics Support for assitance.  U.S. Robotics will have to provide the solution for their hardware.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 11:44 AM
  • According to Microsoft windows 7 compatibility chart, USR5461 is fully compatible with Windows 7
    Monday, November 2, 2009 8:56 PM
  • Hi,

Here are some suggestions you can try:

1. Clear Printer Spooler files and enable the spooler service

a. Click Start, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

b. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.

c. Click Stop and click OK.

d. Click Start, type "%WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers" in the open window, and delete all files in this folder.

e. Click Start, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

f. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.

g. Click on Start. In the Startup Type list, make sure that "Automatic" is selected and click OK.

2. Temporarily turn off firewall and antivirus program on each machine

3. After adding the network printer, please try to print a test page for a test.

If the issue persists, please remove the network printer and re-create one via following article.

Vista Printer Sharing

Thanks,

Novak

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 3:20 AM
  • Hi,

Here are some suggestions you can try:

1. Clear Printer Spooler files and enable the spooler service

a. Click Start, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

b. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.

c. Click Stop and click OK.

d. Click Start, type "%WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers" in the open window, and delete all files in this folder.

e. Click Start, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

f. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.

g. Click on Start. In the Startup Type list, make sure that "Automatic" is selected and click OK.

2. Temporarily turn off firewall and antivirus program on each machine

3. After adding the network printer, please try to print a test page for a test.

If the issue persists, please remove the network printer and re-create one via following article.

Vista Printer Sharing

Thanks,

Novak

I tried to clean the spooler but there is nothing in the folder you mentioned, I guess the problem is not here.

The situation is, when I use the "add a new printer" wizard, I choose "My printer is not listed", then I type in "http://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer " as prompted by US Robotics, and my printer installs, however, when I try to print the test page, the job can be seen as "printing" but nothing actually prints, nor does the printing window change, the job is just halting there forever. No error message or no nothing.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 7:38 AM
  • Please clear the "Render print jobs on client computers" option in the Host side to check the result.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:35 AM
  • Can you please specify where can I find this?"Render print jobs on client computers " option
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:30 AM
  • The option is under Sharing tab in the Printer Properties. Please turn on the host machine and locate the shared printer, then right click it and open Properties. You can find the option in Sharing tab.

If the issue persists, I suggest you refer to the link below to recreate a shared printer on the host machine.

Thanks,
    Novak
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, November 9, 2009 8:40 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:16 AM
  • EUCAXING,
    Have you tried add a networked printer wizard? Use the printer(MFG, Model) to get the drivers installed and if it does not find it, point it to the port location you mentioned.

The laserjet P1006 drivers must be downloaded from HP.  (Not included in Win &) Win 7 compatible here and drivers here. Try installing the drivers first. It's not printing because there is no printer.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 11:54 AM
  • I just installed Windows 7 Vista Ultimate today and was trying to print wirelessly using my USR5461 wireless router/printer server.
    My Printer is HP Laserjet P1006.
    Following the "Add a printer" Wizard can successfully add the printer to the "devices and printers" folder, but it just WONT print (when I print something the print job is in the printer window but NOTHING will print).
    To clarify: The printer server has no problem printing using Windows XP or Vista.
    Also: The printer has no problem printing when wire-connected to the computer as a USB printer.
    I wonder if there is any way to solve this problem, I have gone over the similar trouble shooting in thsi forum (vista problem) but it won't work.
    I am not using any antivirus software, other firewalls, or thirdparty softwares etc. The firmware of the router is newest.
    Any suggestion / troubleshooting step is highly appreciated!
    If any "narrow down" steps need to be taken, Please post so that I can perform. Thank you!
    OK, I have the same problem, and it isn't related to 'sharing' the printer.  The USR5461 is a wireless router/gateway that has a USB port for a USB printer to be plugged into that you can map via a TCP port.  USR's site lists the 5461/windows7 combination with a green dot, meaning that it should work.  However, it is not obvious to me what I need to put in which blanks.  (at least with CUPs I can see what happens when I try to print... win7 has no such debug mode--it just fails.)

The printer isn't supposed to 'auto-discover'

The router runs some sort of crippled Linux variant, and provides an http printer share.  The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get the Printer PORT settings right in windows 7.

Anyway, if someone could go look at the windowsXP instructions and help me get through entering that info into windows7 I'm sure it'd work.  (and I'd be eternally grateful)

Here's a link to the USR's setup page for winXP
    http://www.usr.com/support/5461/5461-files/printer_installation/index.html

I have a support ticket open at USR, so maybe they can shoot me the information and I'll post it here if the community doesn't answer 1st.  (But I'm not betting USR beats you guys)
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:05 PM
  • david1024,
    1. Get the info from the router for the ip address(leave the web page open)
    2. Click Start orb
    3. Select Devices and Printers
    4. Select add a printer at the top
    5. Select add a network printer
    6. Immediately select "The printer I want isn't listed"
    7. Select Add a printer using TCP/IP 
    8. Device type= tcp/ip
        Hostname or ip address =info from router
        Port=Standard TCP/IP port
    9. Select Next

Is that how you did it? Did that connect?
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:56 PM
  • Nano,

Thanks for your help, but after your listed step 9, windows complains that no device was found, and that it needs additional information.  It seems to default to a 'generic network card' and after I select 'next' again, I can choose the driver (similar to the way that winXP does it).  I would trial and error it, but there are just too many options to tryout.  I may end up having to use VPC and share the printer from the VPC as a work-around until I can get windows7 configured properly.

Installing like this "doesn't work", so I'm still trying to get help.

Monday, March 1, 2010 1:38 PM
  • david1024,
    OK. While in the router page, select the device or lan tab and find the name or ip address of the print server.
     In the example from the link, it was 192.168.1.2:1634.
    If that or the other name that you find is correct, it connects after inputting that to the first field in the not found method of adding a networked printer.

Use the Wizard from Devices and Printers, Add a printer

Monday, March 1, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Correction 192.168.1.2:1631
    Monday, March 1, 2010 3:53 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.  Printing via the XP computers on my network conitnues to work well.  However, the Win7 computer cannot find the printer.  I've updated the firmware on the router and downloaded the current printer driver for the HP1020.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:52 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.  Printing via the XP computers on my network conitnues to work well.  However, the Win7 computer cannot find the printer.  I've updated the firmware on the router and downloaded the current printer driver for the HP1020.

I too have this identical problem since migrating from Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Ultimate with a Samsung ML-1210 laser printer, which worked perfectly through the USR5461 router/printer server - installed with XP and then to Vista with no problems.

I have seen somewhere that with Win 7 the printer, although a network device, must be added as a "Local" device, against all logic. However, I didn't get that to work either.

Have there been any developments on this problem? I'm almost about to give up and connect up physically to a USB port and get my wireless network systems their own dedicated printers - they're pretty cheap these days. But that is a damning reflection on what should be a bright new star of an OS. Anyone for Windows 8 ?

Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:02 AM
  • hiway22 and beachcomber777,

The other area to explore is the Windows Firewall. It is different than Vista or XP. More aggressive security. It may be blocking the print server. If you are using the Windows Firewall or your security programs firewall, temporarily disable the firewall and try the add a network printer wizard and see if it discovers the printer automatically. If it does, you'll need to create a rule to allow that port or app to inbound.

The router is really an XP/2000 era device. So, compatible with Win 7 means you must find the configuration method. One user mentioned it worked in Vista, so what's the secret. The firewall?

There is one item that I saw in the troubleshooting FAQ's. There is apparently a print spooler in the device that requires the USR5461 to be power cycled to clear the spooler. But that's a print job issue, not a connection issue.

That being said, try this method for adding the printer:

http://www.usr.com/support/doc-popup-template.asp?url=5461/5461-files/printer_installation/index.html&loc=unst

1. Click Start button

2. Select Devices and Printers

3. select add a printer in the title bar

4. select add a network printer

5. The wizard searches-if it does not find it-then select it's not in the list

6. the configuration window appears

7. add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname button and select next

8. ok, so this time leave the device type as auto detect ( it may be a web service device by design, protocol)

9. enter the ip address from the router( include the http://)http://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/and whatever name it displays here... the port name auto populates

10. It then looks for the device

The other option as mentioned above is to try to add a local printer and choose a TCP/IP standard port and input the same information.

Have the printer drivers available in case the printer is not in the list.

If you have been through that and can't configure the device, I would have to say the print server function has something that won't work with Win 7.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 11:35 AM
  • Many thanks, Nano Warp, your prompt response is appreciated.

However, I considered the hassel just not worth it, coming to the same conclusion as you mention in your ultimate line - that the print server is just a legacy system that is not compatible with Win 7. Strange that it worked well with Vista though but your theory of a more aggressive firewall sounds plausible. Anyway, I've just installed a local printer (they really cost peanuts these days) on the only remote client that needs one (running Vista) and set the Samsung as local on the main Win 7 system, it installed correctly and I could print a test page. The router is still serviceable for all with wireless mail and Internet connections - just the print server is effectively decommissioned.

But now I have another Win 7 printer problem - perhaps I should start a new thread ??? Anyway, turned on my Canon iP4700 for the first time with the new Win 7, everything installed nicely as a "USB02 Virtual Printer Port for USB"  and so I tried to print a test page. The following error window appeared:

Cannot communicate with the printer.
    Turn Enable bi-directional support on in the printer's Properties dialog box.

Clear enough, I went to the Properties>Ports page and saw that the "Enable Bidirectional Support" box was empty, clicked on it to enter the enable tick, clicked on "Apply" then "OK".

Trying again (and again) the same error message. Entering the Properties page I see that the "Enable Bidirectional Support" box was again empty - the system does not retain the enable entry.

Is there likely to be some conflict that prevents Bidirectional support?  

Thanks for any tips.

N.B. [Edit] Solved by downloading latest drivers - checked box for "Enable Bidirectional Support" now STAYS checked when Properties window closed. Sorry for such a silly post - I should have done that before shouting on here.

• Proposed as answer by Beachcomber777 Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:55 PM
    • Edited by Beachcomber777 Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:59 PM Solution found.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Old thread, new solution! I have solved my problem, which is exactly like yours, in the most unlikely manner.

I have win7 home premium brand new, and usr5461 wireless router/printer server with a canon mp550. The printer is connected to the router and my pc is on wifi on the same router. Router works beautifully with winxp. But with win7, adding the printer using tcp/ip address (192.168.2.1:1631 in my case), as everyone should do according to logic, simply do not work. The printer does not print. Once it started printing only to get stuck with a zero bytes file in the print queue that was not possible to delete in any way (spooler stop/start, printer uninstall...), so I had to go through regedit and cancel any canon occurrence.

Next: this is what I did, and worked.

First, download updated drivers from canon and install them on the pc (it's a .exe file). Do NOT use drivers from the printer's cd.

Second, add the printer as "shared printer by name", and NOT as "printer using tcp/ip address". Give the printer the name you get from the router, copy it and paste it (http://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer in my case, it's the default)

That's it! After one day of countless install/remove, this worked immediately. Why the printer has to be seen as shared and not tcp/ip is a mystery.

Good luck and happy new year to all poor users like me that have to invent something every day just to make their pc work.

edit: to clarify: it is NOT a spooler problem, it is NOT a firewall problem, it is NOT a tcp/ip printer that has to be shared later. The printer has to be INSTALLED as shared printer by name and not as tcp/ip and shared, or it will NOT work in any way, whatever you do. I tried all other solutions proposed and they failed, at least for me.

• Edited by ppp64 Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:58 PM more info
    • Proposed as answer by Chris Knowlton Saturday, June 1, 2013 6:22 PM
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:47 PM