none
can't pin program or shortcut to taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• I have a .exe application that resides on a Network Shared Drive.   I am unable to pin the .exe or a shortcut to it to the taskbar?

when I try to drag it there, I get the little red circle with the X through it.

Monday, May 3, 2010 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This behavior is as expected. I just performed a test on our test machines, I can’t pin the .exe file stored in Network Shared Drive to the taskbar too. But if I copy the .exe file from the Network Shared Drive to the local drive, I can pin it to the taskbar. Moreover, some applications are not allowed to be pinned by design. As I know, certain executable files as well as shortcuts that contain certain strings (for example,  "Help", "Documentation", "Install" and so on) in their name are automatically excluded from pinning.

As a work around, you can enable the Quick Launch bar and drag the .exe application to the Quick Launch bar. This should create a shortcut for the .exe application in Network Shared Drive.

Best Regards

Dale

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This behavior is as expected. I just performed a test on our test machines, I can’t pin the .exe file stored in Network Shared Drive to the taskbar too. But if I copy the .exe file from the Network Shared Drive to the local drive, I can pin it to the taskbar. Moreover, some applications are not allowed to be pinned by design. As I know, certain executable files as well as shortcuts that contain certain strings (for example,  "Help", "Documentation", "Install" and so on) in their name are automatically excluded from pinning.

As a work around, you can enable the Quick Launch bar and drag the .exe application to the Quick Launch bar. This should create a shortcut for the .exe application in Network Shared Drive.

Best Regards

Dale

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:58 AM
  • How about pinning 1 app to the start menu

Then pin that app again with a different set of command line args.

The ingenious shell will change your shortcuts to do whatever it want's.

Also, why can't you pin VS 2010 MSDN to the start menu?  right click doesn't even offer the pin option.

Nice job making this easier guys

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:23 PM
  • SHORTCUTS WITH CERTAIN WORDS IN THE NAME OF THE SHORTCUT CANNOT BE PINNED TO THE TASKBAR.

THE LIST OF WORDS THAT ARE FORBIDDEN ARE IN THE REGISTRY KEY:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation\AddRemoveNames

You can edit the list where necessary if you want to pin a shortcut which contains any of those words.

Feel free to comment on A) why this 'feature' is so poorly documented and known by MS forum reps and B) why the 'feature' exists at al!!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Thanks, Mike, for the registry information!

This is VERY frustrating!  I build the Windows 7 images for my company.  We have a simple "Software Portal" that was built in-house and the name contains "Install".  Until now, I could not script pinning a shortcut to the Start Menu because of this.  I had the image build process 99% automated, the only thing I had to do was manually pin the shortcut to the Start Menu.

One thing I did find out by working with it; if you hold shift down and right click on a shortcut, containing one of these blocked strings, you will see the option to pin to the Start Menu but not the Taskbar.

• Proposed as answer by MultiverseIT Thursday, December 8, 2011 6:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MultiverseIT Thursday, December 8, 2011 6:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:29 PM
  • One trick that I just tested and seems to work - Pin another shortcut that is normally pin-able.  Then edit it and put the paths in to your network app.  Note - it seems to keep the old icon, so you might want copy an executable locally, pin it, then change the path (right-click on it, right click on the name, and click on properties, then change the path to the shortcut and any other shortcut properties needed).
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 6:47 PM
  • @MikeCompton, Thanks for the tip !

I suspect this setting also affects which programs can appear in the "recent apps" list, so the feature exists because it doesn't make sense to have help files or setup programs in this list.

Sunday, February 5, 2012 3:50 AM
  • That is so stupid, typical MS.

Thanks for the regkey, did mine still doesn't work, but my guess is I'll maybe have to restart Windows.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 4:16 AM
  • There has been a growing trend for Microsoft to treat the Network as an untrusted source.

They expect for any "Trusted Program" to be installed on the local machine.

I believe that this has to do with vulnerabilities and security issues.

The strange thing is my servers are really well protected, the big problem is it's hard to stop someone from attaching a device to the network.

Our application has used a Network Path for the executable for a long time, and it really makes it much easier to maintain the workstations.   Who wants to go apply a patch to 500 workstations, when you can just update the server!

Our answer has been to build a simple client "Launcher" that loads all the require programs & other required components, copying them to the workstation at start-up.

It seems that "Support" is one of those forbidden words.   I renamed My Visual Support Wizard application to Problems, and it worked just fine.

I do appreciate the tip, it also helps explain why my installers can't use the "Quick Launch" feature.  

I can understand that there might be reasons that this is required, but as a user, I don't like it!

Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:39 PM
  • @ lwcomputing

This works as a shortcut to the network exe but the icon will only appear when the program is running. 

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Gudday,

I could not pin the program "slimdrivers" to my taskbar, presumably because of the word "drivers" in the name.

I could add other programs and shortcuts to my taskbar with no problems.

My solution was to run the program I could not pin"slimdrivers" and while it was running I right-clicked on the "opened program icon" in the taskbar.  There is an option to pin the program to the taskbar.  And it works!

I hope this helps others. Perhaps it will work with programs and shortcuts on a networked attached storage.

Hooroo ;-)

• Proposed as answer by banhuk Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:43 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:24 AM
  • My solution was to run the program I could not pin"slimdrivers" and while it was running I right-clicked on the "opened program icon" in the taskbar.  There is an option to pin the program to the taskbar.  And it works!

That's exacly the regular way to pin an app to the task bar and exactly what I cannot do, so this is not a work around, just the normal way to do it.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Just wanted to add a belated thanks - the program I wanted to pin had two components - the main EXE and one with a filename including Setup (more accurately, it was a Settings app). Made my regedit and was able to pin to TaskBar or Start menu. NEVER would have figured this "feature" out on my own. Thank you!!!
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:53 AM
  • SHORTCUTS WITH CERTAIN WORDS IN THE NAME OF THE SHORTCUT CANNOT BE PINNED TO THE TASKBAR.

THE LIST OF WORDS THAT ARE FORBIDDEN ARE IN THE REGISTRY KEY:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation\AddRemoveNames

You can edit the list where necessary if you want to pin a shortcut which contains any of those words.

Feel free to comment on A) why this 'feature' is so poorly documented and known by MS forum reps and B) why the 'feature' exists at al!!

EPIC FAIL!

so my link looks like this:

\\file-srv\Orda-s$\PPLAUNCH.exe

what the hell can i do?

FAILLL!!!

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:15 PM
  • Thank you for the tip!

Well, I tried your suggestion but it didn't quite work for me straight forward as suggested. I compare the registry path on Windows 7 and 8. On Windows 8, I could pin this portable application without problems but not on Windows 7. I noticed a slight difference in the registry. On Windows 8 "AddRemoveNames" is not present. This is not the case with Windows 7 as it is present. So, I decided to take risk of removing it from Windows 7 and rebooted my system afterwards. Now, I can pin this application and hopefully others as well.

I had to export the complete "FileAssociation" folder before deleting the entry "AddRemoveNames". Though I had no problems restarting the system, I am still not sure if it is the right way to go as this could have effect on the system. While I hope nothing goes wrong as I am keeping my fingers crossed, I'll be looking out for a better solution.

Once again, thanks!

• Edited by omostan Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:52 AM
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:48 AM