DHCP on Vista has stopped running RRS feed

• Question

• My internet recently stopped working on my laptop.  I tried using the Windows Vista network diagnostics tool and none of the options worked.  It did report that the DHCP client service is not running on this computer.  When I try the option to restart DHCP it will not work.  I have tried to reload the wireless network and I have tried connecting wired.  I have bypassed the router, and the result is always the same.  The message is that there is limited connectivity and cannot connect to the internet.  I can connect to the router, but that is the extent of my networking capabilities.  If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Richard

Friday, January 18, 2008 3:39 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the post.

First please make sure the DHCP Client service is enabled and the startup type has been set as Automatic. Please ensure you have configured the correct IP address and DNS settings.

Please also try the suggestions in the following article to troubleshoot the issue:

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;928233

Then please temporarily disable all anti-virus programs to test the result.

If the issue still occurs, let’s perform a Clean Boot.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. if the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, please follow the steps below and provide me with the information accordingly:

1.   Run Command Prompt as administrator. Type “nslookup www.microsoft.com” (without quotation marks). Let me know the result.

2.   Run Command Prompt as administrator. Type “ipconfig /all” (without quotation marks). Let me know the result.

3.   Run Command Prompt as administrator. Type “ping (the IP address of Default Gateway)” (without quotation marks). Let me know the result.

Note: You can obtain the IP address of Default Gateway from Point 2.

As this issue can also be caused by your ISP (Internet Service Provider), I suggest contacting your ISP for more information in order to resolve the issue in a timely manner.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:58 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the post.

First please make sure the DHCP Client service is enabled and the startup type has been set as Automatic. Please ensure you have configured the correct IP address and DNS settings.

Please also try the suggestions in the following article to troubleshoot the issue:

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;928233

Then please temporarily disable all anti-virus programs to test the result.

If the issue still occurs, let’s perform a Clean Boot.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. if the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, please follow the steps below and provide me with the information accordingly:

1.   Run Command Prompt as administrator. Type “nslookup www.microsoft.com” (without quotation marks). Let me know the result.

2.   Run Command Prompt as administrator. Type “ipconfig /all” (without quotation marks). Let me know the result.

3.   Run Command Prompt as administrator. Type “ping (the IP address of Default Gateway)” (without quotation marks). Let me know the result.

Note: You can obtain the IP address of Default Gateway from Point 2.

As this issue can also be caused by your ISP (Internet Service Provider), I suggest contacting your ISP for more information in order to resolve the issue in a timely manner.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:58 AM
  • I am having the same issue as Richard. I have tried doing a clean boot but the issue still remains, can you assist me with the using the other options to fix my laptop Tim?

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:27 AM
  • I have the same problem on three systems - just started during May 09 - right after the big update came out.  i have three systems that can't start DHCP Client service, DPS (Diagnostic Policy Service) and can only use Static to get on networks - in or out of organization.  I have tried all the KB's related, I am looking at dependencies.  Also, looking at AVG as a suspect - all three running AVG
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:13 AM
  • I have the same problem and i tryed the clean boot and it didn't work so any further assistance will be appreciated
    Monday, September 28, 2009 3:25 AM