none
Netflix instant queue movies not playing

Question

• I am only asking this as a question and not as a discussion because microsoft may have a stupid fix for it or maybe its just the beta thats causing the issue. You know how in netflix how you can watch movies in your instant queue. well, it only seems to be true in Vista and XP. Well, Windows 2000 is not supported either, but i wish it was at times. anyways, windows 7 has an issue with the netflix instant queue. it does not want to seem to play the netflix movies. it gives me an unsupported file type issue. what is microsoft doing? are they trying to mess things up? i'm going to call netflix and see if they are working on the issue. after all Windows 7 is replacing vista. any of you other users getting this issue and have any ideas of how to fix it or what not?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:16 PM

Answers

• works fine for me but did notice a glitch with  windows 7 streaming with either the netflix plugin or explorer 8.
    where at times it doesn't correctly detect what my actual bandwidth is and will stream low quality. and have to reboot to correct this. this is the only online streaming service i get this glitch with.  gonna try thier beta player though see if that works better
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:35 PM
  • Not sure if anyones still paying attention to this thread but I am having problems. I went to netflix and logged in and click play on an item in my instant queue. Instead of the movie playing I get a mmsg saying this os isn't supported. I do have the install files saved from installing it on my Vista x64 system but not sure how or if I should try to run those files on my Win 7 RC x64 system. Any help or suggestions on how to go about being able to access and view stuff from netflix on my PC would really be appreciated.
    Jess

i'm running the RC at this point and i got netfix to work, but oddly there is an issue with the player because they updated it so that now it does not automatically disable the screen saver and whatnot...

first of all make sure IE8 is in compatibility mode.
    Windows 7 works better in 32-bit mode than 64-bit mode, but ok its your pc.
    it should not give you a message about the OS not being supported.
    when you go to play the movie, the software to play the movie should download automatically and then the movie should then start playing. in the older version of the netflix software, a restart was required when installing the software and sometimes it did not work with windows media player 12, but now it does.
    and it may also ask you to install their silverlight player as well before playing the movie.

and when in doubt, call help and support, they might be able to help, even though that windows 7 is in beta, but however it should be supported. it is based off of Vista afterall. and netflix just updated their movie player about a month and a half ago. Only Windows 2000 and below are not support from what i tried.
    • Marked as answer by Steven Wabik Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:03 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:03 PM

All replies

• Netflix works fine for me now.  I initially had an issue with it as part of a larger problem I was having with communication with Microsoft sites.  I actually had to update my router's firmware to get it to download the Netflix extension for Media Player.

My symptoms were: Go to Netflix, choose a movie to play, Netflix would say I needed to download the player, I would click Install, a box would pop up saying Media Player was trying to play an unsupported file type, click the button to make it play the file anyway, a box would come up saying I needed to download something, and it would fail while downloading.  After updating the router's firmware, the download completed successfully and I was able to watch Netflix content.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:46 PM
  • i did not have to download firmware updates for my router....
    I got the unsupported file format issue after installing the netflix movie player and after netflix finished updating windows media player on windows 7.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:29 PM
  • has anyone contacted netflix about this issue? since in my experience it only seems to be happening on some Windows 7 PCs and not on others.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:51 AM
  • I got Netflix to work for me today on Windows 7 Beta 64bit Public Release

first i tried it (first time today but try it everyday)  so i hit send feedback.  so in  a few minutes I get this

I got a windows fix help from MS to remove a key that would help .msi files install.  Now I cannot recall the which key I deleted, darn, if you know how I can check let me know so I can share the info.

It was a pop up saying, here is a possible solution to a problem you reported, go to start, all programs, accessories, command prompt, right click and make sure it is running as administrator then it asked me to type in the reg edit delete command with a key...

so i deleted the key and went back to netflix.

Here is how I did it.  Go to Netflix, go to your instant queue, click on download upgrade,  it may start downloading then fail, if so, you can try to download again, or you can right click and save target as... and save the program to your downloads folder.

Then I right click the downloaded program, tried to run it in Vista compatability mode and ran it.  It ran and finished but nothing happened.  SOOOO i went back to the netflix queue upgrade button, pressed it again and selected to download and run the program and it started downloading and this time it said, there is a component of windows media player that needs to be downloaded in order for this program to work.  I hit upgrade (or download) on that box and it went to a download screen that failed.  So i tried the button on the queue again, and it again said I needed an upgrade from windows media player, this time i read it with more detail and it said it would connect to microsoft servers, so I clicked upgrade (or download) on that pop up window and it showed the progress bar and it downloaded the upgrade then the screen went away, then it said, your program installed successfully, or whatever the netflix guide expects you to get on that pop up. 

Again I went to the Netflix queue and this time tried to hit play, and it showed me a bigger screen with a black background that said, this program needs a download (or upgrade) be made to windows media player to work (a message similiar to the pop up box but this one was a bigger black backgrounded screen) so again I hit upgrade and this time I did not see a progress bar, but in a few seconds it said my program installed successfully and i started watching HEROES!!!!

if you can't get it to work feel free to message me.  Also I am working on a CLEAN install of W7 on a 64 bit HP Laptop dv6704nr.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 11:17 PM
  •  Gus Padron for me i never had issues with downloading the software. its just on some of my PCs the netflix movies play and others it doesn't. then on some that it does, the screen flickers durring movie play. at least Windows 7 has higher screen resolutions with external monitors and what not...

i'm running 32-bit installations of Windows 7 and one of them is in a dul boot configuration.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:14 AM
  • My install of th Netflix player seems to have worked fine first try. I then tried to play an instant movie. First Windows7 would freeze even before the 'Determening your video quality...' message came up. I then tried to put the site in 'compatibility mode'. I now get up to the 'Determening your video quality...', sometimes even a bit of the animation with the three dots, but then it freezes again.

Any ideas what this is? 

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:15 PM
  • TobiasDC said:

My install of th Netflix player seems to have worked fine first try. I then tried to play an instant movie. First Windows7 would freeze even before the 'Determening your video quality...' message came up. I then tried to put the site in 'compatibility mode'. I now get up to the 'Determening your video quality...', sometimes even a bit of the animation with the three dots, but then it freezes again.

Any ideas what this is? 

i'm not sure, but when i get the file format issue on certain PCs on mine. before i get that issue, IE8 freezes for a few seconds, then the error screen appears. i think compatibility mode does nothing in IE8, but changes the rendering styles of the browser. it makes little differences on most sites. only use it if you really think you need it, like if the web site is actually having issues with the menues and whatnot...

in certain instances compatibility mode made it worse for me. i run netflix.com in compatibility mode and it seems to log me out every so often. i'm not sure why it does, but it does. at least in Windows 7 i can run netflix off of a 128.5kb GPRS broadband modem connection, unlike in XP and vista...without any loss in quallity... in the older operating systems it would just say the quality was just to low to run.

your issue just may be related to IE, have you tried running netflix from within firefox, Opera, Flock, or Netscape. your results may vary by browsers. remember, different browsers render different sites different. they will also act differently under different operating systems. I tried Safari. the interesting thing is that it does not even render its own home page properly when used under Windows 7. is it supposed to do that. or does it work properly under Windows Vista.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:16 PM
  • If you cannot get the WinMedia Player to work, you can use their beta player which uses Silverlight - http://blog.netflix.com/2008/10/opt-in-for-new-netflix-movie-player.html
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:47 AM
  • works fine for me but did notice a glitch with  windows 7 streaming with either the netflix plugin or explorer 8.
    where at times it doesn't correctly detect what my actual bandwidth is and will stream low quality. and have to reboot to correct this. this is the only online streaming service i get this glitch with.  gonna try thier beta player though see if that works better
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:35 PM
  • hobieone said:

works fine for me but did notice a glitch with  windows 7 streaming with either the netflix plugin or explorer 8.

i'm going to start try their beta as well and see how it goes.
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Not sure if anyones still paying attention to this thread but I am having problems. I went to netflix and logged in and click play on an item in my instant queue. Instead of the movie playing I get a mmsg saying this os isn't supported. I do have the install files saved from installing it on my Vista x64 system but not sure how or if I should try to run those files on my Win 7 RC x64 system. Any help or suggestions on how to go about being able to access and view stuff from netflix on my PC would really be appreciated.
    Jess
    • Unmarked as answer by Steven Wabik Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:03 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:41 AM
    Jess

i'm running the RC at this point and i got netfix to work, but oddly there is an issue with the player because they updated it so that now it does not automatically disable the screen saver and whatnot...

first of all make sure IE8 is in compatibility mode.
    Windows 7 works better in 32-bit mode than 64-bit mode, but ok its your pc.
    it should not give you a message about the OS not being supported.
    when you go to play the movie, the software to play the movie should download automatically and then the movie should then start playing. in the older version of the netflix software, a restart was required when installing the software and sometimes it did not work with windows media player 12, but now it does.
    and it may also ask you to install their silverlight player as well before playing the movie.

and when in doubt, call help and support, they might be able to help, even though that windows 7 is in beta, but however it should be supported. it is based off of Vista afterall. and netflix just updated their movie player about a month and a half ago. Only Windows 2000 and below are not support from what i tried.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Thanks, changing the compatibility setting fixed the issue I was having. For the most part I do use the 32 bit version of IE8, still too many plug-ins I tend to use that are not available for the 64 bit browser. Oddly enough When I was on the netflix page I didn't have the "Compatability" icon showing by the address pane but I went into tools/compatibility view settings and added netflix.com to my list a viola the player started right up.I already had Silverlight 2 installed and as far as I can tell it didn't download any thing else.

I notice in Vista Netflix intant is now showing when I launched its WMC which is nice. Wonder how long it will be before its also added to Win 7's WMC.

Again thanks for the compatability tip, it worked a champ
    Jesse
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:24 PM
  • your welcome Jesse. and by the way netflix is now just starting to use silverlight to play their movies in the browser so thats why i told you about that. i think the silverlight player just moved out of beta, that probably explains the screen saver issue. i hope they fix it soon. its either that, or its my PC, but yet, it happens under multiple operating systems.... well, enjoy your movies.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:59 PM
  • also ask you to install their silverlight player as well before playing the movie?

Same with me... Clean install of win 64 pro.  after the silverlight install plays fine,  when I reboot I have to reinstall silverlight.  So I tried it on XP and 2000.  Reinstall every time.  Vista 32 bit seems to work... Hmmm 1 out 4 is not good odds.  something changed in silverlight or netflix.  Either way its broke now.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 2:57 AM