none
Windows 7-programs shut down/don't respond when coming out of hibernation or sleep mode...

Question

• Can someone please help me! I have a brand new Alienware computer with Windows 7. I am an avid game player and with my old computer, which ran Windows XP, I could play my games, put my computer into sleep or hibernate mode, close the lid, and come back later and open the lid and be able to resume playing my game where I left off. Now with Windows 7 and my new computer, if I tell it to hibernate or sleep when I close the lid-when I come back to resume playing-everything looks like it's okay but the game never resumes. I end up opening the task manager, where I can see that the game is "Not Responding" and shutting down the game. I have an Aleinware M15x with Windows 7 home premium 64-Bit BIOS ver A05 1.00-Intel(R) Core(TM) M 540@2.53 GHZ (4 CPU'S)~2.5GHZ-3072 MB RAM-Direct X 11...I also have my power settings set to high performance and I've just set my computer to "never" on all the settings that have to do with what the computer does when I shut the lid...Never hibernate/sleep/or dim or shut off the display... So I'm hoping that someone can tell me what settings I need to change, if this is just how things are with windows 7, or is there some program I need to download or an upgrade or hot fix for this problem. It's really frustrating to have to restart my games all over again...Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...Thank y'all in advance!

Monday, June 14, 2010 1:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What is the model of your display card?

If you have NVIDIA ,  it has its own display control program named “NVIDIA Control Panel”.  Check the related settings first:

1. In Windows 7 Control Panel -> [Your power plan] -> Advanced settings, please make sure “Do nothing” was selected for both On battery and Plugged in under “Lid close action”.

2. You may need create in the windows registry a new DWORD value called "LidAlwaysOpen" and set its value to 1.The value should be created in the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\GUID_assigned_to_your_nvidia_card\0000 key. Better backup the registry key by export them and save to local drive before doing any change on registries. Please note: that changes to the system registry may damage your computer so you are doing this on your own risk.

Regards,

Magon Liu - MSFT
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:01 AM