none
Hyper-V fails to create any switches (including default switch), unable to connect to any VM or start the VMs RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 1803 update was pushed recently through the org.

Shortly after, observed I could no longer connect , the Windows troubleshooter identified some problems with the vEthernet Network Adapter. I followed the steps described in this post :

https:   //social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f7e4af56-900e-4879-ab34-9d50f4e345a9/cant-create-any-virtual-switch-in-hyperv-failed-while-creating-virtual-ethernet-switch-0x800401f3?forum=win10itprovirt

I have since been unable to get Hyper-V networking going ever since, no replacement default switch has been created, attempts to create them manually from Powershell all fails. I've tried this several times, disabled/enabled hyper V, netcfg -d etc still the issue persists.

Here are some outputs:

Attempt to open Switch Manager in Hyper-V leads to :

"An error occurred while trying to retrieve a list of virtual switches.

The operation on computer 'My PC" failed: Generic failure "

Attempt to create or Get-VmSwitch in Powershell leads to :

"Get-VMSwitch : Generic failure

At line:1 char:1

… "

create :

"New-VMSwitch : Failed while creating virtual Ethernet switch

At line1: char1

CategoyInfo : NotSpecified

FullyQualified..: OperationFailed "

I am unable to attach images for some reason.

Basically I am stuck. Any ideas?

Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

1. >>Windows 1803 update was pushed recently through the org.

Does this issue occured after you installed the update for your win10?

Do you mean thay everything is fine before you installed this update?

Which update did you install? KB4512509 or others.

2. Try to open the command prompt as an administrator; Type "netsh winsock reset"; then restart the computer.

Please let me know if you have anything unclear.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

1. >>Windows 1803 update was pushed recently through the org.

Does this issue occured after you installed the update for your win10?

Do you mean thay everything is fine before you installed this update?

Which update did you install? KB4512509 or others.

2. Try to open the command prompt as an administrator; Type "netsh winsock reset"; then restart the computer.

Please let me know if you have anything unclear.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact 

Question 1  Response)  yes, this was working fine until the update.  the update was : KB4512501

Issue started after the update, then i tried the troubleshooting instructions from the referenced link and wiped out all network adapters...the vEthernet was never re-created successfully after that.

2) I've tried your recommended steps and unfortunately issue still exists after that.

I checked Event Viewer logs and these are some of the errors I see after restarting and trying to open Virtual Switch Manager on Hyper V :

"The Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service encountered an unexpected error: Unspecified error (0x80004005)."

"Switch create failed, name = 'C08CB7B8-9B3C-408E-8E30-5E16A3AEB444', friendly name = 'Default Switch': Incorrect function.  (0x80004005)."

"

Failed to initialize VMSwitch driver due to error {Operation Failed}
    The requested operation was unsuccessful..

"

"HNS failed to create vmswitch with error '0x80070001' and adapter id = 'c08cb7b8-9b3c-408e-8e30-5e16a3aeb444'."

Basically i have no vEthernet Adapter, and it is unable to create one but not clear why this is the case or how to resolve this. Subsequently VM fails to start up since it's Synthetic Ethernet Port is not found.

• Edited by Leke T Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:17 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:57 PM
  • Welcome to cam back!

I suggest you uninstall this update first to see if the problem has disappeared.

The reason why we recommend you uninstall the update is that we have recently received a lot of problems caused by the installation of the latest patch in August.

So I would recommend you wait a bit until Windows 10 1803 patch matures with future cumulative updates.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 23, 2019 2:34 AM
  • Thanks for the recommendation Daniel.

Unfortunately uninstalling the update didnt resolve the issue.

I rebooted, disabled/enabled Hyper V and still see the errors about creating the default switch failing.

Any change we could get some real details on what might be blocking/stopping the switch creation when the PC reboots?

Also, any additional input on those error codes in this context?

Thanks

Friday, August 23, 2019 5:29 PM
  • any 3rd party firewall software installed?
    see similar problem (but different error messages): cant create hyper-v virtual switch
    • Edited by EckiS Friday, August 23, 2019 7:00 PM
    Friday, August 23, 2019 7:00 PM
  • mcAfee endpoint Security..but this was also present when the setup was functional just before the windows update over the weekend.

Friday, August 23, 2019 8:30 PM