none
What Is 'Teamviewer'

Question

•  I received a cal yesterday reporting to be from global support. The online phone representative wanted me to try a new application being offered to windows 7 pc owners. The application is called "TeamViewer". Can someone give me the low down info on this application, and whether the offer is legitimate.

L Stiefel

Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Teamviewer is a support tool similar to remote assistance in Windows. It enables support person to take control of your PC (mouse and keyboard).

Unless you asked for support, don't accept the offer.
    • Edited by Les52 Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:46 PM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:43 PM
  • The question here is what and who exactly is global support?  If you are referring to your company's corporate support or help desk, beware if they are calling you and asking you to install some software.

To me, this sounds like a social engineering scam because global support personnel usually try and avoid end users ;-)

All kidding aside, next time they call you, ask for their name and extension. Then look in your company's corporate directory and call the number listed there and ask for the person or the extension. This way, you know it's a legitimate call and not some smart alec social engineering his way into your computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_(security)

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:29 AM
  • As discussed it is a remote desktop application and AFAIK they never call anyone.  Also as discussed it is probably a phishing scam that has been around for years.

Never allow anyone access to your computer unless you initiated the procedure and know for sure who they are.  There have been many, many cases where an unsuspecting user has fallen for it.

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Sysnative.com Team ZigZag

Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:59 AM
  • Teamviewer and all other software like Ammy, Lepide Remote Admin
    are used to control any remote desktop or PC we can easily monitor and handle remotely PC
    with these kind of tool ..
    many of support executive uses this to solve the clients query at there location only 

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:10 AM
  • I had a telephone call from a lady with an indian accent today and trying to convince me that she was from a Technical Support company supported by Microsoft. She had my Windows CLSID.

She told me that there were errors on my system and they would initially repair that for free by their technicians.... But maybe later there would be a small fee of around 5 euros involved. I played along to find out more.

She asked me to install Teamviewer. That looked okay. So I installed it. Meantime googled Teamviewer and the replies were ok. Meantime I was going through the install process and googled some more. On keywords teamviewer, microsoft and scam there were similar hits as I was experiencing at the moment!

So she talked me through the installation process, got an ID and password and gave it to her as well. Then I got worried..... So a popup appeared with a teamviewer message that an unregistred user of Teamviewer wanted to connect....hmmm.... I got suspicious.

She said:"Press trustworthy sir". Meanwhile I was reading the stuff on Google on this scam......

"Press trustworthy, SIR!"

Did some more reading......

"PRESS TRUSTWORTHY, SIR!!!!"

I replied:"Well my dear, I don't trust it. I only spoke to you now about half an hour and I don't trust it at this moment."

"Press trustworthy sir, otherwise we can't do anything for you."

I told her I had serious doubts about this and told her regarding the comments on Google I became more and more worried. I started to read these comments to her out loud and after about 1 minute I heard from the other side: BEEP BEEP BEEP.... She had hung up....

Say no more, eh?

I went immediately offline, closed Teamviewer and uninstalled all items. Maybe I will install it later on with new settings (new ID, new password). But then I will tell no one! Ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and ran AVG Antivirus and quarantined suggested items.

Let this be a warning for others. These scammers are still active in 2014 although the initial post on this was 2012.

Beware!

Note: I don't think this TeamViewer is malware nor that Microsoft is involved in this. I think Teamviewer is abused in this scam.

Summary in Dutch since I live in the Netherlands and they may be active now here..

Opgepast met telefoontjes vanuit het buitenland die zeggen dat je fouten in je log bestanden hebt in je Windows besturingsysteem! Ze vragen je om Teamviewer te installeren zodat hun die fouten kunnen repareren. Ze doen zich voor als gelicenseerde bedrijven van Microsoft. Klopt niks van! Ze proberen je computer te laten crashen en dan door hun door betaling weer te laten repareren, volgens de Google commentaren.

• Edited by TukkerTon Tuesday, December 09, 2014 3:37 PM
    Tuesday, December 09, 2014 3:19 PM