none
installing 64bit print driver with Windows update

Question

• Hi, we have a print server that only have 32bit drivers available. I have few Win7 64bit desktops that I would like to print through that print server. I thought Win7 will check Windows update if it didn't find the appropriate driver on the server. But I tried different printers (more than 30) on the server but windows update just couldn't find any drivers. I remeber I was able to use Windows update on a Windows 2008 R2 print server to locate the 64bit driver. Can you someone advice what I can check? Does MS provide a list of all the available printer drivers on their Windows update site?

Thanks
    Monday, March 01, 2010 7:56 PM

Answers

• OK, here is what I found. If I use the add printer wizard and setup the printer as local printer, e.g. \\printserver\printqueue. The Windows update button, at the end of the wizard where you specify the printer model, is able to download the appropriate driver. However, if I install the printer by typing \\printserver in the search windows and double-clicking the printqueue, it will always complained driver not found even it's attempting to check the Windows update site for any driver. Shouldn't it be the same in terms of installing printers.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 9:19 PM

All replies

• you should be checking with the printer vendor for the drivers, they are the one who provide them.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 8:04 PM
  • I realized that. But the things is I would like to install printers from a Samba based print server that you can't install Vender's printer driver directly on. I am not trying to install all printers using the Windows update method, I just want to find out why the same printers can be install using the Windows udpate method in Windows 2008 R2 server(64bit) but not Windows 7 64bit. To my understanding the drivers are the same on these 2 platforms.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Do the printers you are using have support for windows 7???

2008 R2 would load drivers for 2008 R2 where as 7 would be looking for drivers for windows 7.
    And yes it may be the same driver but I think if the .inf file does not ID it such then to windows it is not see it as 7 driver.

as for a list of printers, there is the compatibilty site listing printers
    https://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Default.aspx

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 12:31 AM
  • I can see the printer (Laserjet 4000) in that compatibility list for Win7 64bit as well as in the Windows update catalog. But my Win7 64bit desktop just can't locate the driver from the local driver store or the Windows update site.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 5:12 AM
  • Hi Hkg04,

I would like to confirm that have you tried to install the HP LaserJet 4000 Printer Driver on Windows 7 64-bit desktop directly?

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you install the printer as a local printer to check if it works. After installing the driver, connect it to the printer server to check the result.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:54 AM
  • OK, here is what I found. If I use the add printer wizard and setup the printer as local printer, e.g. \\printserver\printqueue. The Windows update button, at the end of the wizard where you specify the printer model, is able to download the appropriate driver. However, if I install the printer by typing \\printserver in the search windows and double-clicking the printqueue, it will always complained driver not found even it's attempting to check the Windows update site for any driver. Shouldn't it be the same in terms of installing printers.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 9:19 PM
  • Hi Hkg04,

I am glad to hear that you can install the printer as local printer via \\printserver\printqueue.

However, I have no idea for why it cannot search for the correct driver when installing the printer as network printer.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 08, 2010 8:50 AM