none
What are you doing, @hal?--Dave wants to know RRS feed

• Question

• For a couple of weeks (presumably since a Windows Update, but not sure of this, or of which one if it's that), my startup in Vista Business 32 bit on a Toshiba m750 Tablet PC has been extremely slow (3 to 4 minutes, when out of the box it was about 30 seconds).  The change was sudden--one day still pretty quick, the next very slow--which is what makes me think it's an update.

I checked the ntbtlog.txt file, and these lines start repeating about half way through that file.  They repeat at least 12 to 15 times; I lost count after that, and seem to account for much of the slowdown:

Did not load driver @hal.inf,%acpiapic.devicedesc%;ACPI x86-based PC
    Did not load driver HP LaserJet 2840
    Did not load driver @oem43.inf,%driver_desc_x86%;TOSHIBA tos_sps32 Driver
    Did not load driver @battery.inf,%acpi\pnp0c0a.devicedesc%;Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    Did not load driver @battery.inf,%acpi\pnp0c0a.devicedesc%;Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    Did not load driver @battery.inf,%acpi\acpi0003.devicedesc%;Microsoft AC Adapter
    Did not load driver @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor
    Did not load driver @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor

Actually after the "@hal..." line (the first one in this sequence), that one doesn't repeat, but all the others above do, multiple times, not always in the same order.  This makes me think that after the first driver doesn't load, it keeps trying to load all the others, but can't.

Any thoughts on what's causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks.

(and yes, my real name is David, and this feels eerily like a Kubrick film...)
    • Edited by Dbshrink Friday, August 7, 2009 12:32 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:02 PM