none
Audio problems with Windows 7 64 bit (RC!1)

Question

• I’ve tried Windows 7 64 bit RC1 on my current system using a spare HD to swap out my XP system drive.  I love everything about it; it really does improve my system’s performance in just about every way except for my audio devices.  I have a Realtek HD Audio controller onboard (and have installed their Windows 7 64 bit driver) and a Tascam US-144 USB audio device (can only find a Vista 64 bit driver for it)   Both are simple stereo I/O systems and work perfectly with XP 32 bit and would probably work just fine with 98SE.  No matter what I do, both devices can’t play back simple stereo audio without constant and very loud digital artifacts.  You can’t even go to a myspace music page or youtube without the browser freezing up.  The one time I tried to record audio in Sound Forge, the whole computer locked up and I had to do a soft boot.  To me this seems so Windows 95 and even then it was just audio drop outs due to FSB speeds issues, this audio issue with Window 7 64 bit is just plan weird. Being an A/V post production engineer using my computer primarily with DAWs and NLE’s, this issue with simple stereo audio play back is a deal breaker for Windows 7.  Here’s my system specs

CPU = AMD FX64 64 bit dual core

Motherboard = Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H

RAM = CORSAIR XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX x2 for 8 GB total RAM

GPU = eVGA EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit

Power supply – Antec TPQ-850 850W

A LG Blu-ray burner, several Seagate HD, two NEC DVD_RW drives and Comcast Cable Modem

Does anyone have any idea why I can’t get an audio device to work properly?  (Even my old Logitech webcam worked, except for it’s mic of course).

Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:41 AM

Answers

• Hi 'The Gonzo Is In',

I'd put the Windows 7 64 Bit drive back in just this last weekend and when through Windows Update as well as downloading and installed  the latest drivers for Mobo, VGA, as well as the latest drivers for both the Tascam and Realtek.  I did removed the Tascam and Realtek drivers before reloading the downloaded ones and I did test the Realtek before reinstalling the Tascam drivers and software since the Realtek can be disabled in the BIOS.  I even set all performance enhancements in the BIOS to stock before testing the audio.  As before, I can get stereo audio from both the Tascam and the Realtek, but both have the same amount of digital artifacts (best described as sounding simular to what your digital TV signal sounds like when the carier is dropping out, kind of like a freaked out R2D2 in a wind tunnel).  Finally I dragged out my old DAT machine and ran the stereo single out digitally via S/PDIF coax from the Tascam and both coax and optical from the Realtek and to my surprise all digial singles sounded identical to the analog outputs.  This and that my computer runs beautifully on anything not involving audio output; finding applications that don't produce any audio playback was quite a challenge, but in the end I tested my system with photoshop, 3Dmark06 (which doesn't produce audio when running the benchmark) and even loaded one of my latested Video edits in Vegas 8 pro and simply removed the audio tracks and then repeated the last render.  I even thought of some of my favorate website that have plenty of metamedia but not audio, video, or flash; in all cases, photoshop rendering, NLE rendering without audio, benchmarking, and even surfing, my computer performed better than it ever has.  As soon as you involve audio, what audio you get is woefully unsuable or worst, the computer simple locks up . . . no BSOD just inactivity ultimately requiring a soft boot.  This reminds me of the old days of ISA Legacy audio cards and Windows 3.11, I really don't think it's either a hardware or driver issue, it really seems like an internal word clock issue especially since all of the digital audio outs from my computer sounded identical to the analog out.  This digital noise is being produced by a sync problem during processing, but I doubt it's my AMD FX64 since it's known for it's floating point capacity.  This only leaves the software codex which are primarly host (OS based). 

Oh ya, and btw, you can't call Tascam, you can try to call their US division TEAC, but apparently the only thing they hate more than responding to emails is answering the phone.  I did finally get a response to an email I'd sent (and resent 31 times) to them about this and the response was not incuraging:

"Windows 7 hasn't been release yet [duh, edit ], when it has we will work on a driver". [quoted in full]

Good to know, I feel so much better now ;-)
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:56 AM

All replies

• http://www.tascam.com/products/us-144;9,15,70,19.html
    Latest Drivers - It says Vista 64 so (should?) do W. 7 64 & I see nice setup demo.

Only thing I have in common is Realtek which works OK in Mac Pro W 7 U. (32 & 64Bit) though have not had Quad. (Microsoft "6_Channel_ID.wma" check) since XP in a 2002 HP Media Center PC with green audio out to Logitec Desktop & black line in for my old Yamaha stereo receiver (Aux. setting)  speakers.

Suggestion
    1) When you right click speaker icon next to clock in task bar, check playback & recording device settings. Realtek for example defauts to wrong microphone with attached (other PC) Logitec Quick Cam (builtin Mic). There are other Rtek devices Digital in/out/stereo mix that you can rightclick disable?? Only thing enabled here is "Speakers".

2) if you can get stereo with only Realtek, no Tascom drivers, you've narrowed down problem & Tascom setup demo shows phone # etc. in case of problems.

Bonne Chance.

Sunday, October 18, 2009 11:36 AM
  • I've ran into a similar issue with a Soundblaster card hissing and popping.  I initially did an "upgrade" installation with 7 Ultimate over Vista Ultimate (32 bit) and it worked fine.  However, yesterday, I performed a clean installation using 64 bit and cannot get the audio issue to resolve.  I have the current version of drivers as provided by Creative.  It appears there is a bigger issue at work with the 64 bit OS.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:18 PM
  • Hi Cosimel,

I realize that you have a Realtek HD Audio Controller and a USB Audio Controller. Neither of them can playback simple stereo audio normally. In addition, the system hangs when using the audio.

Cosimel, I suggest you try the following troubleshooting steps:

1.    Run the built-in audio playback troubleshooter.

2.    Set the Realtek HD Audio Controller as the default audio device.

3.    Disconnect the USB audio device and use the Realtek HD Audio device only to check the issue.

4.    Disable the hardware-acceleration and the specially effects for your Realtek HD Audio Controller, if has.

5.    Test the issue in Clean Boot.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:27 AM
  • Hi 'The Gonzo Is In',

I'd put the Windows 7 64 Bit drive back in just this last weekend and when through Windows Update as well as downloading and installed  the latest drivers for Mobo, VGA, as well as the latest drivers for both the Tascam and Realtek.  I did removed the Tascam and Realtek drivers before reloading the downloaded ones and I did test the Realtek before reinstalling the Tascam drivers and software since the Realtek can be disabled in the BIOS.  I even set all performance enhancements in the BIOS to stock before testing the audio.  As before, I can get stereo audio from both the Tascam and the Realtek, but both have the same amount of digital artifacts (best described as sounding simular to what your digital TV signal sounds like when the carier is dropping out, kind of like a freaked out R2D2 in a wind tunnel).  Finally I dragged out my old DAT machine and ran the stereo single out digitally via S/PDIF coax from the Tascam and both coax and optical from the Realtek and to my surprise all digial singles sounded identical to the analog outputs.  This and that my computer runs beautifully on anything not involving audio output; finding applications that don't produce any audio playback was quite a challenge, but in the end I tested my system with photoshop, 3Dmark06 (which doesn't produce audio when running the benchmark) and even loaded one of my latested Video edits in Vegas 8 pro and simply removed the audio tracks and then repeated the last render.  I even thought of some of my favorate website that have plenty of metamedia but not audio, video, or flash; in all cases, photoshop rendering, NLE rendering without audio, benchmarking, and even surfing, my computer performed better than it ever has.  As soon as you involve audio, what audio you get is woefully unsuable or worst, the computer simple locks up . . . no BSOD just inactivity ultimately requiring a soft boot.  This reminds me of the old days of ISA Legacy audio cards and Windows 3.11, I really don't think it's either a hardware or driver issue, it really seems like an internal word clock issue especially since all of the digital audio outs from my computer sounded identical to the analog out.  This digital noise is being produced by a sync problem during processing, but I doubt it's my AMD FX64 since it's known for it's floating point capacity.  This only leaves the software codex which are primarly host (OS based). 

Oh ya, and btw, you can't call Tascam, you can try to call their US division TEAC, but apparently the only thing they hate more than responding to emails is answering the phone.  I did finally get a response to an email I'd sent (and resent 31 times) to them about this and the response was not incuraging:

"Windows 7 hasn't been release yet [duh, edit ], when it has we will work on a driver". [quoted in full]

Good to know, I feel so much better now ;-)
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:56 AM
  • I concur!!!!
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Ok, for me it was an easy fix...

I Right Clicked on the volume icon in the system tray and selected Playback Devices. Then I selected Speakers and clicked Configure. It was set to 7.1 Surround, when my speakers are only 2.1 Surround, so I set it to 2.1. Fixed. I hope it's that easy for you all...

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Intel Q6600
    ATI HD4870 GDDR5
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 3:32 AM
  • Hellaphunt, how much memory? I have seen some posts that suggest that sound works OK with 4Gb main memory or less, but fails or works poorly with 6 or 8 Gb....

I have

Dell XPS710
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Intel quad-core 2.66Ghz
    Creative X-Fi xtreme music
    8Gb memory
    NVIDIA GForce 8800 GTX
    ----plus-----
    really bad scratchy sound
    4 'black screen crashes' today - screen goes black, system reboots, error in system log says "system crashed" (duh!), no core dump that i can find.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:02 AM
  • I have an HP Pavilion DV8305US. <y system specs are:
    AMD Turion 64.
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
    ATI Radeon Express 200M (working flawlessly)
    All USB, firewire, PCMCIA and card reader ports work great.
    Windows 7 install even gave me back my internel DVD Burner which had been dead for over a year.
    BUT, I have no sound.  No audio at all.  I have the circled red X over the audio icon in the system tray and "No audio device installed."
    However, when I try to install a new driver, I am told that I have the most up to date driver available.  Looking in the device manger and going to Sound Device properties: Device could not start: Code 10.  I've tried the WIndows 7 compatibility center recommendations for all of the various flavors of AC 97 audio devices.  And I've even tried looking at some of the other ones supported under Win7 with no luck. 

Now, the fun part.  About a week and a half ago, maybe a little more, I originally installed WIndows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit on a 12GB partition.  And I had a minor issue getting sound to work.  I ended up downloading and installing through control panel and driver I found and sound started working.  Lo and behold Windows kept telling me the C drive was running low on space, so I started asking around to see if 10.8GB was normal for a Windows7 install.  Holy SH&T, it is!  And apparently there is no way to either uninstall the garbage I don't want or choose to not have it install in the first place.  So, I had to repartition and reformat my drive.  I now have a 45GB partition for Windows7.  I sure hope that is enough.  But no sound.  I have done the same thing I did with the previous install, dozens of times now, with n change.  The only difference, besides the partition size, is the fact that I installed over XP32 last time.  Not an upgrade, but a quick format of the drive and then install.  I don't want to, but I may have to go back to XP32, or maybe if I'm lucky, XP 64 until this audio issue is resolved by Uncle Billy and crew.

Edit: If you have any ideas or magic, email me:rivermikerat@roadrunner.com so I know I get it in a timely fashion.
    • Edited by RiverMikeRat Sunday, November 08, 2009 2:12 AM add info.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 2:11 AM
  • i too am still having problems. although audio from dvd's and itunes work well, Cubase 5 has numerous problems.

from pipping sounds during playback. to out of sync audio and visuals. terible digital interferance to unaudiable metranone.

i have installed the 2.01 64bit driver from tascam and updated cubase but the frustration continues.....

Monday, April 26, 2010 8:44 AM
  • What's your sound buffer set to? Do you have the option of adjusting synchronization for playback? Do you have the same problems in both analog and digital output (if you have both available)?

And what's a 'metranone'?

Monday, April 26, 2010 12:15 PM
  • i too am still having problems. although audio from dvd's and itunes work well, Cubase 5 has numerous problems.

from pipping sounds during playback. to out of sync audio and visuals. terible digital interferance to unaudiable metranone.

i have installed the 2.01 64bit driver from tascam and updated cubase but the frustration continues.....

I too have the exact problem, Cubase and Tascam.  only a reboot will clear up noise.  will come back if multitasking ANYTHING.

i7Core

New machine...

Friday, July 09, 2010 4:43 PM