none
xp and win 7 on two hard drives as dual boot

Question

• Want to do the following:
    1. Have new Sata drive which will be the new Win 7 drive and will transfer file and settings and data from the old win 7 sata drive
    2. Will format old win 7 drive  and load xp pro
    Both drives will be installed on the same computer, so question is how to set up as a dual boot?
    Thanks

To clarify: If I install Win 7 on the new hard drive, disconnect it and then install xp on the old hard drive.  and then reconnect the drives with the new win 7 drive as Drive 0 and the XP drive as Drive 1 will I be given the choice of which drive to boot from at startup? Does this require any BIOS settings.
    If both drives were imaged seperately with their own OS (one with xp and the other with 7) and then both connected, what would the result be at bootup>
    Thanks
    • Edited by Rewards Monday, January 11, 2010 8:15 PM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:38 PM

Answers

1. Have new Sata drive which will be the new Win 7 drive and will transfer file and settings and data from the old win 7 sata drive
    Both drives will be installed on the same computer, so question is how to set up as a dual boot?
    Thanks

To clarify: If I install Win 7 on the new hard drive, disconnect it and then install xp on the old hard drive.  and then reconnect the drives with the new win 7 drive as Drive 0 and the XP drive as Drive 1 will I be given the choice of which drive to boot from at startup? Does this require any BIOS settings.
    If both drives were imaged seperately with their own OS (one with xp and the other with 7) and then both connected, what would the result be at bootup>
    Thanks
    Hi Rewards

The scenario you are describing will work, however, you will need to add one more step to get the dual boot.

With Windows 7 on the Disk 0, you will need to edit the Boot Configuration Data file in the root of the Windows 7 installation to add the XP option to the boot menu that displays when you start the computer. This file does the same job that the Boot.ini file performed in Windows XP.

By default, the only way to edit this file in with the BCDedit tool from a command-line. This can be a complex procedure.

There is a third party application (Free) that makes editing this file very easy. Here is the link to this application.

EasyBCD

Please take the time to read the following documentation carefully before starting.

EasyBCD Documentation

Installing XP After Vista (Works for Windows 7)

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

• Marked as answer by Rewards Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:11 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 11:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Install XP first on old drive then restart computer with W7 disc choose custom install to 2nd harddisk.

When finished you should have a dual boot. 
    Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:50 PM
  • To clarify: If I install Win 7 on the new hard drive (having first installed xp pro as win 7pro is an upgrade version), disconnect it and then install xp on the old hard drive.  and then reconnect the drives with the new win 7 drive as Drive 0 and the XP drive as Drive 1 will I be given the choice of which drive to boot from at startup? Does this require any BIOS settings.
    Thanks
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:00 PM
  • The thing is that for win 7 to know about XP pro you would need to have XP instaled and the drive hooked up to have win 7 setup the boot options.

You can use a third party util talked about here many times.
    So your answer is No in your case it will not give the option and No it is not a BIOS thing.

Monday, January 11, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Question: If both drives were imaged seperately with their own OS (one with xp and the other with 7) and then both connected, what would the result be at bootup>
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:15 PM
    Thanks

Thanks
    Hi Rewards

The scenario you are describing will work, however, you will need to add one more step to get the dual boot.

With Windows 7 on the Disk 0, you will need to edit the Boot Configuration Data file in the root of the Windows 7 installation to add the XP option to the boot menu that displays when you start the computer. This file does the same job that the Boot.ini file performed in Windows XP.

By default, the only way to edit this file in with the BCDedit tool from a command-line. This can be a complex procedure.

There is a third party application (Free) that makes editing this file very easy. Here is the link to this application.

EasyBCD

Please take the time to read the following documentation carefully before starting.

EasyBCD Documentation

Installing XP After Vista (Works for Windows 7)

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

• Marked as answer by Rewards Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:11 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Thanks for your help. Sounds like good advice.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:11 AM