none
Why does the Computer crash and reboot for no reason?

Question

• windows 7 7077 is strange, it reboots by itself or crashes and the computer reboots for no reason. brand new self-built computer crashes from time to time, it happened twice in a month. but heres the problem. unpredictable crashes happen like this; i leave it on for like a day or two (no sleep mode) and it reboots by itself. now it cant be the ram since i leave the computer idle, with low CPU load and ram not being used, and i play demanding games and it never crashes during that only when its idle. its not totally idle though, i leave utorrent on downloading safe stuff but thats it. so why did this strange occurrence happen twice? is it a faulty motherboard? CPU? Power? i heard of hard reboots which could be it but how will i know? another thing, since i leave utorrent on maybe its the one that crashes...but why crash the OS and reboot? could it be the Hard Drive? (oldest component-- 1 year old) or windows 7?

no blue screen just reboot and event log only says the usual kernal power stuff and im using windows 7 7077 but it cant be the OS's fault since no one ever addressed such an issue but me. keep in mind that this could be the power playing games with me who knows?
    Monday, May 25, 2009 3:34 PM

Answers

• use proper version Windows 7 RC ver. 7100. this forum is for publicaly released w7 build.

druid
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:51 AM

All replies

• Just a few possible guesses on your issue:
    as eventlog tells, might be power interruption. If this is a laptop, don't use the sleep option when you have to little battery power.

Is your copy of Windows 7 7077 activated? Maybe you're out of some grace period!

When it is a desktop computer, just open up that case and see if you have no loose parts on that motherboard.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:28 PM
  • use proper version Windows 7 RC ver. 7100. this forum is for publicaly released w7 build.

druid
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:51 AM

druid

Druid's right you know. Do a clean install with the 7100 build, activate it, and check the same issues again.

btw phrases like "now it cant be the ram since i leave the computer idle, with low CPU load and ram not being used" do make us laugh a lot. There is no such thing as unused RAM.

Regards

Rem
    • Proposed as answer by LoryHolland Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:26 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:03 AM
  • Zeus is right.
    Just check with the processor measure gadget on the sidebar. Ram will never show up unused!
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:27 AM